Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

Question for new doomers.

Ok, this is a question for doomers who started deathmatching no more than 2 years ago.

What deathmatch wad do you play on most?

What's your favorite?

Do you try out new wads often or actively seek out new wads?

Thank you.

You can choose any wad from any era... doesn't have to be recent.

While not a newer doomer myself, I have noticed that new players are the ones who are most likely to try new maps. The problem is that with popular services like zdaemon the people setting up servers aren't using anything but the standard maps that we've all played a thousand times. New players are usually very open to trying a brand new map even in a pre-release state. Dunno if that helps any. :-)

Rellik said:

While not a newer doomer myself, I have noticed that new players are the ones who are most likely to try new maps. The problem is that with popular services like zdaemon the people setting up servers aren't using anything but the standard maps that we've all played a thousand times. New players are usually very open to trying a brand new map even in a pre-release state. Dunno if that helps any. :-)

It does, thanks. :)

The point of this post is to somehow curb all the same old maps being played (*cough* dwango5) and to find out whether they get played because they just happen to be better than anything else released or because they are familiar and people have been dming on them for so long. Something tells me it's the latter.

>>> What deathmatch wad do you play on most?

I play mostly CTF, from regular DM i play mostly dwango5

>>> What's your favorite?

The Last Strike Deathmatch 2003 (tlsdm2k3.wad)

>>> Do you try out new wads often or actively seek out new wads?

Only the ones made by guys from Doom Connector.

For sure, it's about familiarity. There are some members of the community who aren't simply fond of maps like dwango5 map01, they actually refuse to play on anything new.

Most of these players are considered to be quite good, but since they only play on certain maps, I find that hard to credit. It doesn't mean anything to me if a guy beats me on a map that he's played non-stop since the mid-90s.

Although I'm not exactly new to Doom, I've only really been deathmatching for about six months (since I got my LAN set up).

Although we're addicted to coop and often play through the Doom 2 id maps, we tend to deathmatch on small deathmatch maps I create myself just to try out a few ideas rather than download others. (These maps are usually small and nowhere near a standard worth releasing to the public, but they're find for our purposes.)

Occasionally we play whatever's in newstuff, although we rarely play the same map twice.

Michael Fish said:

...we tend to deathmatch on small deathmatch maps I create myself just to try out a few ideas rather than download others. (These maps are usually small and nowhere near a standard worth releasing to the public, but they're find for our purposes.)

I wouldn't be so sure. A DM map doesn't have to be big, detailed or fancy (in fact all 3 of those things I don't particularly like in DM, and many people like my DM maps very much) - so you should release them to the public! Or at least, I'd be interested to see what you have made.

Well, if you want to see I uploaded two to http://mirror.j13security.org after a little bit of tidying up in Doom Builder (omg that it sooo much easier than DEU, which I originally used to make the maps).

Oh and I aplogise for any terrible midi files that may be present in PLDM02.WAD

Nod bad. I liked the area where the medkit is in PLDM01.WAD

I'm not really a fan of only one escape from an area, which is what you have in PLDM02.WAD when you drop down to where the SSGs are. I also try to avoid lifts to be part of gameplay except for big weapons like plasma or BFG.

Michael Fish said:

Although I'm not exactly new to Doom, I've only really been deathmatching for about six months (since I got my LAN set up).

Although we're addicted to coop and often play through the Doom 2 id maps, we tend to deathmatch on small deathmatch maps I create myself just to try out a few ideas rather than download others. (These maps are usually small and nowhere near a standard worth releasing to the public, but they're find for our purposes.)

Occasionally we play whatever's in newstuff, although we rarely play the same map twice.

if you like coop in Id wads and some other pwads you can submit your demos there doom2.net/compet-n ... we need more coop players there :)

I play on Doom2 the most. My fav wad is Dwango5 and I try out new wads, (unless it is about 10mb.)

Hellbent said:
What deathmatch wad do you play on most?

I don't keep track. I just join whatever server I feel like. Whether I have the WAD in use isn't a problem, thanks to ZDaemon.

All I do know is that Dwango5 has been burned into my skull pretty deeply.

What's your favorite?

I don't know.

Do you try out new wads often or actively seek out new wads?

I can't count how many servers I've joined whose WADs I hadn't tried.