Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
ShadowRunner

Wtf happened with my flats?

Fix those doors while you're at it. They shouldn't rise up to the ceiling like that.

This looks suspicious like a wrong format is used for them.

Also make sure, there are no holes in the flats!

Maybe they are converted faulty to Doom's format. Try another converter in that case! Deutex should be reliable for example.

Shadowrunner are you using XWE? If so click on each flat, go to 'image' in the menu and save each one as a Doom Flat.

Maybe you're not loading the custom wad file with the new flats when you're testing the level...? DoomBuilder might present the add-on textures/flats, but I'm pretty sure it doesn't load the wad for the designer when he's testing the level... or not. I dunno...

Solution: Load up XWE, click on the flat, click on the image menu, click save as doom flat, click file, click clean up. POOF! Converted and working successfully.

God damn it, it's still doing it after I did that. If someone wants to check the wad out itself, pm me as I don't want none of that OMFG this is Gauntlet Doom? IT SUCKS crap as it's still in it's alpha stage.

I have experienced the same thing when textures/patches have same names on the map as the flats do. I had no idea at all what was the problem and kept suspecting a messed up palette or me not being able to insert the textures/flats to a .wad file. As it turned out, everything was ok again when i just renamed the flats (for example, i had a patch named '112' there and a texture '112' made of the corresponding patch. Since i wanted the same texturing to a flat too, i made a flat named '112', wich caused the exact same effect as you have there - all walls were ok but ceilings/floors were full of stripes). I don't know if it is the problem you might have at the moment, but if it is, try renaming the flats to something else.

Well.. i discovered this only a few weeks ago myself. I'm sure it has to be mentioned somewhere on the net before but i couldn't find anything about it (on what could cause those stripes) so i just tried different things to fix this until i accidentally found it out.

Frades said:

on what could cause those stripes

They look like the column headers griving the number of pixels, are drawn accidentally (because the engine confuses a patch with a flat here). You get a similar effect when drawing a transparent texture on a 1S-wall. (At least with the original renderer, most source ports intelligently just draw black in the holes, when they are used that way.)

Heh, I accidently forgot to upload my flats properly for my MAP21 Beta. I did exactly as I said and the problem went POOF! So either you did something wrong, or ... something wierd that I've never heard of happened.

It was a error with the names, and i didn't manually save them as flat, so they all werent doom flatted properly. And Cyber-Menace, I know the diffrence between a Good wad and a bad wad, so please don't make remarks like that again.

Reads Frades post: ... makes sense I guess. Kind of odd considering they're two different resources but what works, works.

ShadowRunner: You know your marquee title? When I'm in Linux that blinks on and off for some reason. It just makes it all the more noticable. The funny thing is, two days ago it didn't show up in Linux. Maybe it has something to do with Slackware...

ShadowRunner said:

And Cyber-Menace, I know the diffrence between a Good wad and a bad wad, so please don't make remarks like that again.

This is a lie and you know it. If you knew what the difference between a good wad and bad wad was, you'd stop turning out crappy ones.

cyber-menace said:

ShadowRunner: You know your marquee title? When I'm in Linux that blinks on and off for some reason. It just makes it all the more noticable. The funny thing is, two days ago it didn't show up in Linux. Maybe it has something to do with Slackware...

It blinks in Windows too ;)

ShadowRunner said:
And Cyber-Menace, I know the diffrence between a Good wad and a bad wad, so please don't make remarks like that again. [/B]

And what if he does?

Then he may start another thread that turns into a 15 page (or somewhere like it) series of making fun of him... although it wouldn't be nearly as bad as the last one because I think most people got bored of it and it was too recent of an event for enough people to have gotten bored again to do it once more.

I had this same problem, although it had nothing to do with naming at all. I imported a bunch of flats into XWE (and saved them as flats). They looked exactly the same as those did, and I realized that XWE made the flats size 4690 instead or 4096. I just said fuck XWE for that and took the long (but trustworthy) road with Wintex.
XWE is a great tool, but for some things its really, really weird.

I have 278 flats in my resource wad, all of which were inserted using XWE. Either that bug you mentioned was fixed or your doing something weird. :p

Wow, "I just said (bleep) XWE", that is a classic user comment iori, it's going to make it to the XWE homepage.

The root of the problem is simple: when someone wants to add a 64 by 64 image, it could be a regular patch or a flat. I could have used popup boxes to ask this from the user, or I could have added an extra menu item, something like "load as flat". I didn't want to do either one of those.

The new (upcoming) version of XWE makes this problem go away: when you filter the list to FLOOR (that is, you are viewing flats), any 64*64 image will automatically be converted to Doom's flat format (rather than the regular image format).

Csabo said:

Wow, "I just said (bleep) XWE", that is a classic user comment iori, it's going to make it to the XWE homepage.

The root of the problem is simple: when someone wants to add a 64 by 64 image, it could be a regular patch or a flat. I could have used popup boxes to ask this from the user, or I could have added an extra menu item, something like "load as flat". I didn't want to do either one of those.

The new (upcoming) version of XWE makes this problem go away: when you filter the list to FLOOR (that is, you are viewing flats), any 64*64 image will automatically be converted to Doom's flat format (rather than the regular image format).

Sounds good. The filtering was a good addition, and this'll be even better.

Csabo said:

Heh, I do like XWE for many things. Its just that flat management is not one of those things. Good to hear about the new stuffs however.