Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
darknation

videogame violence

Just having a discussion in #zdoom about early videogame violence, like the groundbreaking titles that brought violence to the mainstream. I mean, I never really think about it these days, but the gibbing animation in doom is actually really quite gross. Not only is someone turned inside out, but there is that horrible squelching noise that was probably sampled from romero sucking some mancock.

And before that there's the gross hitler death sequence from Wolf... no one kicked up a stink because apparently no one cares about der furher, callous frads. And let's not forget the screaming 2 minute death sequences from cannon fodder.

Any other nominations for 'Games that Really Pissed your Parents Off?'

A while back, my parents were really bugged about Shadow Warrior. In retrospect, SW was a pretty crappy game, so I don't know why I made such a stink about it.

Night Trap, like I mentioned in #zdoom. Also the decapitation sequence at the end of a battle in Rampart (not that anyone remembers that game).

My mother never cared about that stuff though. The only thing she hated was the repetetive music in games back then.

Assmaster said:

Night Trap...

Crazy. I was going to mention that, but I couldn't quite think of the name of it. Well thanks, now I've got that annoyance out of my head.

darknation said:

there is that horrible squelching noise

The Beavis & Butthead sound=replacement WAD has a great slop sound. It sounds sort of like breaking an overcooked chicken in half. Aptly followed by "that was COOL."

At any rate, my parents didn't really go on about violence in video games. The only time I got in trouble for offensive game content was the time I was watching a Commodore64 trainer/hack screen that had nude women in it. Heh, I was about 9-- got a smack and the C64 went in the attic for a week.

Who knows? I may brutally murder them in their sleep years from now just because they did that.

I remember a lot of people having fits over Mortal Kombat, so much so that Nintendo removed the blood from its game. Also, Splatterhouse caused a bit of a commotion as well.

darknation said:

but the gibbing animation in doom is actually really quite gross. Not only is someone turned inside out, but there is that horrible squelching noise that was probably sampled from romero sucking some mancock.

Gross? Nah to cartoonish unless you mean doom3. It would be hard to find a game that's gross for me. I don't have a problem rushing through modern games gibbing everyone

Lizardcommando said:

Manhunt is a game that could piss off your parents.

That is the best game!

my mom dosn't care for that type of stuff, hell, she likes watching me kill people in games :D

what about ROTT and postal? my mom first showed me doom and then wondered why i liked it, well it was only the coolest thing i had ever seen at the time!

Yea i remeber the bitchfest over Mortal Kombat. Also Alice is well hated by my mother

Ichor said:

I remember a lot of people having fits over Mortal Kombat, so much so that Nintendo removed the blood from its game. Also, Splatterhouse caused a bit of a commotion as well.

Heh, I played all 3 and own the third. A sweet series.

Blood is surely a contender. In particular the cut scenes and the way you could eat the still-beating hearts of some of your victims. Edit: and kick severed heads around - how could I forget that?

At any rate, I considered it too gross to show to a four-year-old, whom I had previously introduced (indirectly) to Doom.

OMG THe Butcher's room in DIablo. Actualy, I can't really think of anything really offensive that hasn't been mentioned already.

Lets see... my day wouldn't let me buy a magazine that had the quake demo on the cover disk (I was 12 at the time). Also he stopped me playing the hexen beta once.

Then there was that retarded computer teacher I mentioned in one of my first posts here.

Ichor said:

I remember a lot of people having fits over Mortal Kombat, so much so that Nintendo removed the blood from its game.

Oh God, I remember that. I remember my mom not letting me rent MK at the local video store back when I was 9 years old because "it was too violent".
As for my nomination, Soldier of Fortune. Extremely violent.

heh so blood violence and gore is ok but women in their birthday suits are right out of the question... boy is the planet fubar

cycloid said:
heh so blood violence and gore is ok but women in their birthday suits are right out of the question... boy is the planet fubar

Hey, Europe's got it's priory’s right.

My parents couldn't give a damn. I've been playing violent PC games since toddler ages.

I think I remember my dad telling me about how, when I was around 2, he would hold me in his lap whilst playing various Commodore 64 games. Some of which being bloody.

I suppose that could be one reason I used to be scared to play violent C64 games as a kid (I remember this one Friday the 13th game that used to scare the shit out of me mainly because of this really loud scream noise that would play every so often. I was such a baby).

Uhm.. I think I'm starting to get off track here.

/me shuts up.

The only games my parents wouldn't let me play when I was a kid were Doom, Wolfenstein, and Liesure Suit Larry. My mom, however, let me watch her play Liesure Suit Larry. Maybe thats why I'm so fucked up. :P

I wasn't allowed to rent a game once (I think it was Final Fight) because I said I wanted to play it so I could kill people. That's about all.

Leaning to the side of things I thought were disturbing at one point:

• Running over the soldiers in the tank stages of Goldeneye. Something about that scream intermingling with that ripe squishing sound made me want to avoid running them over in the first place.
  • The begging and moaning of the captured soldiers in Quake 2. Also the processing plant.
  • The screams of killing NVA troopers in this HL mod about Vietnam and zombies.
  • The "language" of a typical CS player.

HWGuy said:

Running over the soldiers in the tank stages of Goldeneye. Something about that scream intermingling with that ripe squishing sound made me want to avoid running them over in the first place.
The begging and moaning of the captured soldiers in Quake 2. Also the processing plant.

Heh, I always thought that running the soldiers over in that one level in Goldeneye with the tank was cool, because they were bad guys anyway, and they deserved to die.
I hated that moaning and groaning of the Quake2 prisoners. It was kinda disturbing at first, then it just got annoying. It would be nice if they shut up after you released them from their prisons.
Oh, and that Quake2 human processing plant was one of the better maps in the game, IMO.

My parents didn't like Wolfenstein, because I was 3 and there were nazis. My dad was more lenient than my mom, and also more adequate at computing, so he let me play games my mom wasn't happy about. My uncle was the first person to let me play them, though

DooMBoy said:

As for my nomination, Soldier of Fortune. Extremely violent.

Yeah, I have the demo of that and I only played it once. I knew a guy that played it in VR. I thought that was pretty psycho.
The only game I remember one of my family members getting upset over was when I played Interstate '76 Nitro Pack at my grandparents' house. My grandma didn't like the cussing, as they used everything except for fuck. In Interstate '82 they did, but you had to manually switch the sound files so it was uncensored. In that game they said fuck alright.

My mother wasn't too fond of Carmageddon. Never complained much about any game I played really.

My cousin however,wasn't even allowed to play North & South on his Amiga. People die in that game after all.