Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Darkhaven4

First Map Editor?

Does anyone know the first map editor ever made for Doom? (that is, not including the map editor that iD used and I'm not talking about the hex editor that guy used either)

It was most likely DEU (Doom Editing Utilities). It's probably floating around somewhere in the /idgames ftp or other places on the internet.

DEU, was the first fully working, as far as I know. It was realmode and had no XMS/EMS support or anything, hence very limited in map size. Also there was a build in nodebuilder. All was quite buggy at first, but it was still possible building a completely new map with it.

Hint: To find out exactly, there is a list in the archives sorted by date. You can download the levels from bottom up and read the text files. They should tell you what editors are used. ;)

I think, the most popular editors today are still based on the DEU source.

Edit: DEU 5.0 was the one introducing the nodebuilder. The prior versions weren't really that usefull, as you merely could edit existing maps without changing the layout.

As mentioned, the first editor probably was DEU, pre 1995. In 1995 however, I saw a book which set my heart aflutter. It was the book "Doom Game Editor" by Joe Pantuso.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471121282/qid=1081999545/br=1-15/ref=br_lf_b_15//002-7451871-0044840?v=glance&s=books&n=3433

With it came a copy of the Windows based editor RGDoomEd Version 2.86 DeLuxe.

This turned out to be a shareware version, which I thought was a cheap shot. I never used it very much. However, the book was excellent in describing everything related to Doom/Doom2.

Kappes Buur said:

As mentioned, the first editor probably was DEU, pre 1995. In 1995 however, I saw a book which set my heart aflutter. It was the book "Doom Game Editor" by Joe Pantuso.

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0471121282/qid=1081999545/br=1-15/ref=br_lf_b_15//002-7451871-0044840?v=glance&s=books&n=3433

With it came a copy of the Windows based editor RGDoomEd Version 2.86 DeLuxe.

Heh, that ol book got me into editing. I paid for the full version and never got any updates as promised, but I still love that editor.

I bought that book as well :P It didn't help me at all with editing though, and the included editor... well, sucked. The main benefit I got out of it was all the maps it came with, which I played about all of and helped me come up with some ideas.