Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Melfice

If You Pray...

If you believe in prayer, then I ask that you do so for my friend Nathan.

Last Saturday, I wrote a story in which I made a very, very realistic statement: in a second's time, things you've alway known and been familiar with can be upheaved into chaos and the unknown. Unfortunately, this fact of life has proven true for me, Lance, and several of our friends and family. This morning I was told that one of Lance and I's best friends, Nathan, had a wreck Friday night. He's in Joplin hospital in a coma. He has major head trauma, when he recovers he'll have lost vision in one of his eyes. He's also going to have to re-learn to walk, write, talk, etc. I'm very nervous and worried at the same time. As Lance told me on MSN earlier, and I whole heartidly agree, we are both very upset by this, because our friends are more our family than anything else. Sometime this week we plan on going down to visit his mom atleast, since he's still in a coma. Me and Lance are both so worried and nervous at the same time that we're shivering. I'm also very cold right now, and the fact that I'm feeling this way is making me even more worried about his condition, as he's in the critical unit currently. I just hope he'll be atleast partially the same Nathan we knew before. I'm very distraught right now. Our friend Derek who moved to Kansas City even called me today to see if I knew what had happened, the only hilight of today. Nathan I pray for you, as do others. Please pull through...

AndrewB said:

I pray that he doesn't survive to be a cripple, because I sure wouldn't want to.

Ouch but with an element of truth. Sorry to hear it Melfice. I'll say a pray for him for you. Maybee he'll recover better than expected. Stranger things have happened.

The human brain can sometimes recover amazingly well from serious trauma. Don't give up hope.

I'd say pray for no pain, but that's what defines us as human beings. Pray that he recovers well though. That's pretty much all you can ask for. I wish you and Nathan luck.

I believe in prayer, and I believe god listens to our paryers and answers them. Sometimes it is not part of his plan for what we want to happen, but thats why we have hope. Have faith and hope and miracles can happen. I'll pray for you and your friend and his family. I hope all turns out for the best.

I don't believe in prayer, but I guess you can have hope. That works out sometimes.

Umph....that's quite a sad tale you have there Melfy. I shall pray for you and your friend, and hope that he recovers more or less back to his old self.

Numbermind: is that a touch of gallows humor I detect? :)

The next few years of Nathan’s life are going to be far from easy, and it is unlikely that he will be the same guy he was before. All you can really do is to encourage him to get better.

Well good news came my way today. Nathan's awoken from his coma. Sometime within the next day or two we're going to go down and see him :)

Numbermind said:

Just so you know, people in comas CAN hear you.

really?

then, I'm gonna be dead when blake wakes up.....

Melfice: I will pray for your friend. I pray that he recovers intact, and without nasty side-effects (though I fear that may be a bit too much to ask, but I'm still going to pray for it).

EDIT: Perhaps I'm a bit too late. Let me rephrase: I pray your friend is okay when you go see him.

I'm glad he has awoken. I will continue praying that he gets better in his recovery. He will not be the same person, but hopefully he can move on with his life, and be glad he has survived this trauma. I'm sure he will be grateful for friends like you who support him, and visit him through this.

Grazza said:

The human brain can sometimes recover amazingly well from serious trauma. Don't give up hope.

Quite true. I know i've recovered well from the trauma of last summer, despite the little scar by my temple.

BTW: That's good hear Melfice, about your buddy awakening from the coma. I'll continue to pray for him to get better and have faith in his recovery.

Csonicgo said:

then, I'm gonna be dead when blake wakes up.....

Memory is another matter entirely.

Update on Nathan's condition. I didn't get to visit him, so I called him instead. Lance went and saw him though and then came back and told me about it. According to Lance he amazingly has hardly any facial damage besides his left eye being swolen. He's going to need some slight speech therapy, and he's going home this coming Tuesday. Turns out that some fucker came around a corner with their brights turned on and they swerved off the side of the road and into a deep ditch, barely missing some cement structure. They said the vehicle rolled 3 times and then stopped. His friend that was with him kicked out the back window then the one on Nathan's side and pulled him out, he basically saved Nathan's life. They said that when they were life-lining him down to Joplin they didn't think he was gonna make it. They said he's recovering remarkably fast

Thats brilliant, he's incredibly lucky to have lived through that, and without any serious damage too!

Some bloke i went on a job-hunting course with said he was out with his mates one might when they crashed thier car, and one of his friends got his neck broken in 3 places, but the spinal cord wasnt broken and he managed to recover...some amazing stories out there

In some ways, the human body is so fragile.

But in others, it is capable of amazing feats of regeneration and life preservation.

The only thing more amazing than how much punishment the human body can take is how it little it takes to kill it. Now what book did I rip that from? :)

Numbermind said:

Just so you know, people in comas CAN hear you.

You got something to back that up? Empty statements don't mean much.

© 2000 By Susan Spector-Miano

"MOM I KNOW YOU HEARD ME"
Mom I know you heard me
You came back enough to say my name
You told me you loved me
You gave me that loving smile of yours

I knew in the end that my mom would either wake up
Totally alive with no brain damage to complicate her life
I also knew when it became time to revive her
I know it was up to God to decide
My mom was very sick in the end
she went peacefully in her sleep
Right up to God's loving arms

My mom left a legacy that will help other
Coma Patients and their Families to cope
Keeping their hopes alive to keep on fighting
for their loved ones with all their might

Please Dear God I pray for a Miracle that other Coma Patients
Will wake up soon, and become totally alive with
No brain damage to complicate their lives!

You got something to back that up? Empty statements don't mean much.

but what concerned friend wants to read a lengthy scientific report?