Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Doom 64 - Worth the purchase?

For someone who loves Doom, is Doom 64 any good? I saw it in a second hand store today and was wondering if it would be a waste of money or not.

Considering that it'll be dirt cheap, sure. It'll be less of a hassle than playing it on an emulator.

Doom64's a good game, it is by far the most dark and sinister of the Doom games (unless you count Doom3, but that's not out yet :P), and it's very atmospheric. I also love the soundtrack, ambient stuff rules. The new weapon and enemies are cool, as are pretty much all the maps. I say go for it.

You'll definitely be pleased you bought it, if you choose to. The game isn't quite as easy to find anymore, and it's still a part of the Doom series. Not only that, but the game has some memorable/atmospheric parts and the music is superb if you enjoy ambient tracks.

Buy it, it should definitely be worth the price.

Agent Spork said:

EDIT: Why the hell do I have two names? O_o

LOL, you've registered that username in 2002 and you've never noticed you have two until now? heh

Fredrik said:

I purchased it for $0, and it was well worth the cost.

Yeah, but how many Swedish kroner did it cost? :-P

I say go for it - it's different from PC Doom and in my humble opinion not as good, but as a separate game, it's superb.

Oh God, here I come with different feelings. Why can't everyone agree with more for once?! ;p

I didn't like Doom 64; I might be too much of a purist to appreciate the radical new direction Doom 64 took, but I found the following put me off:

I thought the gameplay was too slow-paced compared to the PC and Playstation versions. The Doom Man moves like he's got one broken foot and a stiff knee.

I didn't really like some of the new monster graphics. The zombies were as generic as ever, but the Imps, Lost Souls, Knights and Barons look damned funny. The weapon graphics were pretty shocking in general, and the less said about the stagnant, dreary environments the better! I think it was the appearance of the maps that put me off the most.

On the up side it's still Doom - though it didn't feel much like it to me - and some of the new levels are actually very creepy. There are quite a few new ideas such as gargoyles that spit darts and the maps themselves can be very imaginative. The music is OK too, not as good as the excellent PSX soundtrack but still pretty atmospheric.

If you can't get enough Doom then you might well enjoy it more than I did. If you want to go with popular opinion, yeah people here like it, but the game simultaneously bombed and got panned by critics when it was comercially released. Ironically the N64 went down soon afterwards!

i remebet when it came out, it was one of the most expensive games out. atleast around here. i think that the store was ripping people off $70-$80 for an n64 game. buy the way the store was Meijers. hell i know new releases for DVD are usally $22-$25 there, we go with $15

Lizardcommando said:

I played Doom64 for a little bit. I thought it was ok, but it reminded me of Quake for some reason... :/

The weapon animations perhaps?

The game is totally worth getting. I'm kind of mad at myself for selling it a long time ago, but I couldn't help it. I got scared beyond belief.

Get Doom64-it's worth it. Sure, we got the TC but buy Doom64 just for the respect for Midway's hard work. I personally love the new graphics. They're scary and... different. The scrolling skies in some levels is also one of the coolest things ever in Doom, just as cool as the flaming skies.

To Nmn:

Totally off subject I know, but is your signature in reference to Perry's RE book series? They were damn cool as I recall. Well, the ones based on the games were cool, but the ones that supposedly occured between games were kinda lacking. I dunno, I don't realy remember.

Yeah, I bought D64 when it just came out, and it was freaking expensive.

Most people tend to rate the game higher as a standalone (not DOOM-related) game, as opposed to an extension of the series.

But yeah, it basically revamped the game engine and added in some cool effects.

Too bad the memory limitations on an N64 game pak weere so limiting. I missed all the enemies that got cut. :(

Well worth it. The enemy art is not as good, but the levels have very good atmosphere and they're well designed.

Totally off subject I know, but is your signature in reference to Perry's RE book series?

Though that line was in the game as well, in the room where a zombie bursts out of a cuboard there is a diary on a table which can be read

deathbringer said:

Though that line was in the game as well, in the room where a zombie bursts out of a cuboard there is a diary on a table which can be read

Well, now that you mention it, I think you're right. I had forgotten. Its been awhile. I guess its just been more recently that I read the books.

I fully recommended buying doom64, for the gameplay, lastibility, atmosphere and all the other things that everyone's mentioned. You could download the tc but the feel to it just isn't the same (no offense to elbryan and co).

deathbringer said:

Correct.

Don't bother, just go get the DOOM64TC. I find it far better to play on the computer than the N64 (Mainly because I can FINALLY SEE WHERE I'M GOING ALL THE TIME), the workers on that TC did a great job porting it to PC and I actually like it now.

Buy it, it's worth it. I got it for 8 bucks, well worth it. I prefer playing doom 64 on the console to playing the doom64 TC, the controls on the 64 just felt 'right'. They had sort of a fluid quality to it that let's you zone out while playing it.