Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Phil1984

Doom 64 - Worth the purchase?

I much prefer Doom64TC: new maps, KB/M control, etc.

One small niggly little complaint I have with the doom64TC is the way they sort of screwed up the Unmaker. It was hitscan lasers, not little red balls. That really sucked. The N64 Doom64 has the correct Unmaker (laser gun.)

Other than that tiny complaint, I love Doom64TC.

cyber-menace said:

Don't bother, just go get the DOOM64TC. I find it far better to play on the computer than the N64 (Mainly because I can FINALLY SEE WHERE I'M GOING ALL THE TIME)...

Amen.

Nemephosis said:

I much prefer Doom64TC: new maps, KB/M control, etc.

One small niggly little complaint I have with the doom64TC is the way they sort of screwed up the Unmaker. It was hitscan lasers, not little red balls. That really sucked. The N64 Doom64 has the correct Unmaker (laser gun.)

Other than that tiny complaint, I love Doom64TC.

Doom64 used some kind of vector effect for the laser. its not a sprite, nor a 3d model..kinda both.

That I have no clue how to implent it, so I was forced to stick with projectiles.
I am working on a somewhat improved version of the laser for my Outcast pack for the TC which will resemble more of a straight line rather than just a "fireball".

cyber-menace said:

Don't bother, just go get the DOOM64TC. I find it far better to play on the computer than the N64 (Mainly because I can FINALLY SEE WHERE I'M GOING ALL THE TIME)

For what it's worth, that problem can sometimes be remedied by trying a different TV. I've played the original on a few different display devices, and the darkness level is ridiculous on some (even with all brightness controls maxxed out), but on others the picture is fine.

Brightness, for the most part, is not the game's fault.

Even though I never had problems with the brightness, I think having dark areas heightened the atmosphere further.

True.
The game was perfectly lit, but if you played with any sort of glare then it was impossible to see. Played in pitch blackness is teh way to go. And yes today I would spend 40$ on that game still...(though I bought mine for 20$)

The Doom64tc is an admirable feat, but no, it is not exactly the same (as to be expected). I would play both (for the extra maps), but the original is the way to go, you'd be missing out otherwise.

Deathman said:

Doom64 used some kind of vector effect for the laser. its not a sprite, nor a 3d model..kinda both.

That I have no clue how to implent it, so I was forced to stick with projectiles.
I am working on a somewhat improved version of the laser for my Outcast pack for the TC which will resemble more of a straight line rather than just a "fireball".

What about the scrolling skies? They aren't just plain parallax, more like Q3 clouds-a dome with clouds textures on them, meaning they come out of the north, set in the south... Maybe a MD2 sphere to simulate scrolling of the clouds...

The water also seemed different.

For several years doom 64 was the only doom I had. It was one of the four games I hadn't sold when I sold every game I had.

Get the Doom64 TC for the Doomsday engine if you have a decent computer.

Nmn said:

What about the scrolling skies? They aren't just plain parallax, more like Q3 clouds-a dome with clouds textures on them, meaning they come out of the north, set in the south... Maybe a MD2 sphere to simulate scrolling of the clouds...

actually, its a skybox. the sky is actually a flat, and when ever you turn, the sky "turns".

although the skybox is hard coded as there is no skybox implented into the levels.

I guess that couldn't be coded into the TC?
Duh, I noticed that the mountains in those cloudy skies turn with me, as it was a transparent patch, but the clouds were a skybox, I'm guessing-the clouds that were put on the skybox was the image "f-sky1"?. I simply hate those not-moving clouds in the TC :-(
And the Water? It moved smoothly and it somehow reminded me of Q3 shaders, like there were 2 water textures combined into one surface, and using deformation they just moved rather randomly. That could be done using a ton of animated water flats, or smoothed animation..
8-/
Wonder why the smooth flat animations were taken out of Doom64TC...

Dittohead said:

Yes, by all means get it. A very authentic game - you will not regret it.

You can't really call doom64 authentic by any means, but it was certainly fun and worth having even as a collector's item.

Unless of course you want to be cool and not go with what would be called "the popular opinion" by some who find it cool to always go against the popular opinion.

I prefer Doom 64 over the TCs... for one, you make the sprites taller, RAISE THE CAMERA HEIGHT! O_o Two, I just LOVE Cat and Mouse.... try beatinga Cybbie that teleports all over with just a rocket launcher! Weeeeeeee! (slap) Auuuuuugh! And three- ?TJL BDFW BFGV JVVB. Nuff said. And no, I didn't look that up.

After reading this thread, I remembered I have an old N64 hidden somewhere, and now I'd like to try this game (never played it before).

Does anyone know where I can buy the game, new or used, from an online store?

You might be able to find it at toy & video game pawnshops. But it's no longer sold in mainstream stores. Your only options are those pawnshops, online retailers that deal in obscure/old games or eBay.

And no, I didn't look that up.

heh, I have that implanted in me as well. Cheating is ok in DooM64, but it's so much better to play from start to finish on the hardest difficulty (going through hectic to get the Features menu, but not using it). It's rewarding in itself.

Deathman said:

Wouldn't it being a vector effect make it more like "kinda neither"? :P

Doom64 imo is a great branch off of the Doom series and should be bought by many and played by all. The enemy sprites didn't seem that great but then again there just revamped Playstation sprites ^_^ which is cool and all. I think that if they would have made the enemies fully 3D with polygons and everything, the enemies would look totally out of place among the enviroments. it's a great buy and I think every one should get the game ^_^

Fredrik said:

Wouldn't it being a vector effect make it more like "kinda neither"? :P

I have heard of that b4 >_>

DoomRater said:

I prefer Doom 64 over the TCs... for one, you make the sprites taller, RAISE THE CAMERA HEIGHT! O_o Two, I just LOVE Cat and Mouse.... try beatinga Cybbie that teleports all over with just a rocket launcher! Weeeeeeee! (slap) Auuuuuugh! And three- ?TJL BDFW BFGV JVVB. Nuff said. And no, I didn't look that up.

Yeah I found that the sprites are taller in the TC, but the game does run a lot faster than the original N64 version. But Doom 64, whether on the N64 or PC is a classic.

Is there a place than I can get it to play on the PC? I already bought it for N64 so I've made my donation to ID. But I think the game would be so much better if I could play it with my arrow keys, alt, ctrl, and spacebar :-)

don't mind my last post. I didn't read some of the posts. NEVERMIND!

Nmm, will that run by itself or will I need another program to run it?

Will run on its own, the new version has it's own executable, so it's stand-alone, however You need to have Doom2.WAD to play. Please read the installation instructions first and do it carefully.