E4M5 - 0:22 -0:06
E4M6 - 0:23 -0:04
E4M7 - 0:09 -0:01
E4M8 - 0:33 -0:10
---------------------
TOTAL - 2:32 -0:56
---------------------
Some my comments:
Time for e4m1, e4m2, e4m3 and e4m7 - probably is optimal.
e4m4, e4m5 can be improved for one second. (may be)
e4m6 can be improved too (with more luck with cacos and/or pass through the lattice before the red key if it's possible)
In e4m8, I think, it is possible to not take RL, but try to sliding (on demons in lava) to exit room. I shall try it later.

Excellent as always.

I was particularly impressed with the e4m6 jump. Anyone seen this before? If it's just been invented I can't imagine why nobody tried it before...

Ryback said:

I was particularly impressed with the e4m6 jump. Anyone seen this before?

One download from geocities and one comment on doomworld :)
I do not know about e4m6. I did not see this jump earlier, but I did not see any Ultimate Doom TAS demos except ep4x328.lmp

I can't imagine why nobody tried it before...

It is not absolutely easy to do it that it was faster than through teleport

Just got through watching it, very kickass. Now do one for E3 and E2 and I'll be happy :)

Nice. Only one second slower than the ep4 time in Doom Done Turbo (though Selim and Vince hadn't made any special effort to optimize the times there).

Grazza said:

Nice. Only one second slower than the ep4 time in Doom Done Turbo

It can be corrected easily. RJ on e4m8 from RL on the central circle with the yellow door. I did it, but it was not faster in the first successful attempt

what!?! i've never bothered playing that episode through properly so i'm unfamiliar with half the maps but still... what's with taing out a cyber and a spidermm with one bfg shot!? blimey

A full-health spidermastermind can be taken out with one BFG shot - it's just very unlikely. You need the random numbers to be very much in your favour. Give it enough attempts and it will happen. (And in E4M8 it may have taken damage from other monsters too.)

The cyber took damage from both BFG shots and from other monsters; it wasn't killed just by one BFG shot. A BFG cannot take down a cyber in one shot, even theoretically. I recall schepe demonstrating that. (If the ball and traces all hit and did their maximum damage, this would kill a cyber; however, such a sequence of "random" numbers is impossible, since they are not really random, of course.)

entryway: I mentioned that more as a curiosity than anything else. The precise time comparison between a near-optimized TAS run and a "fun-run" with TAS and -turbo 255 isn't really of great importance.

Grazza said:

A full-health spidermastermind can be taken out with one BFG shot - it's just very unlikely.

I don't know if it's that unlikely. If you fire the shot very close at the mastermind it can quite often be killed with one shot, maybe 50% chance. But then again, that could be Zdoom too :)

As for the movie, I'll watch it as soon as I get a chance.

good stuff man. I hope e2 and e3 will be just as cool. e3m1 could be trouble to make a fast TAS run.

DooMer 4ever said:

I don't know if it's that unlikely. If you fire the shot very close at the mastermind it can quite often be killed with one shot, maybe 50% chance. But then again, that could be Zdoom too :)

Yes, that is Zdoom only. And more than a 60% chance I'd say. Try it with other ports and the original game too - you'll notice a massive difference.

Didn't notice this until now. Sweet stuff, can't wait for E2 and E3.

Though, I have to say I'm even more interested in seeing your max run of Doom 2 finished.