Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
mewse

The Dreamcast Is Dead, Damnit

But someone forgot to tell the Dreamcast homebrew community. Although I question the amount of fun it would be to develop for a super-dead piece of hardware (how many people do you know that own a Dreamcast?). At least the Dreamcast homebrew community doesn't have to worry about anti-piracy cabals busting in their doors because obviously Sega could care less at this point. Uh, anyways, now that we've got all my personal opinions out of the way (Cyb sucks!! Woo!!) we received an email telling us that someone has interviewed the author of NXDoom, a port of Doom to the dead Dreamcast console.

DCEmu.co.uk : Will you be updating NX Doom?
BlackAura : I'd like to. There's still a few things it needs before it's finished. It needs support for MIDI music, the tracked music support it has needs fixing, the WAD loader needs tweaking, the modlist needs rewriting, and the VMU code needs fixing.

I like Sloths.

Edit: Some people have asked for a link.. well.. uhh.. ok fine. -mewse

I like my dreanmcast and nxDoom is pretty freakin' good. All it needs IMO are customizable controls and JOYSTICK DEAD ZONES! Map24 is impossible!

Heh, i remember seeing them in the "pre-owned" section of GAME with two controllers and all the leads ect for £10, a bit of an insult considering they where selling original playstations with one controller ect for £16

just because a company no longer produces or supports hardware does not mean that it is "dead". is a 1976 volkswagen beetle "dead" because they don't make them any more? and people should "upgrade" to the new model? no and no.

i own and use an amiga, and it's most certainly not dead, it's alive: here

http://www.amiga.org/modules/myalbum/photo.php?lid=995&cid=10

i've set about porting prboom to this platform but it's taking me a loong time to get anything to compile/get around to it, heh

and people should "upgrade" to the new model?

But the new one is girly, thats surely a reason for sticking with the classic, or you could just forget it and buy a mini

Hey, I love my dreamcast and NxDoom. I don't care if its a dead system, it cost me a fraction of the price of a nex PS2 or Xbox

Play often, also own legit copies of MANY games. I bought my system on 9/9/99 and it's still running.

sethsez said:

Let's be honest, the DC is as dead as Doom is.

Take that as you will.

Doom > DC.

but if the dc runs doom, doesn't that create some wacky infinite loop, causing the world to collapse?

i'm not quite sure why i started posting again either.

The dreamcast really isnt as dead as some of you may think, it has a BIG underground following. hell, it got my online when my parents grounded me from the computer, i got on IRC with it too. its a good system, it just took Sega way to long to get there games right. I am with SgtCrispy on this one, ThE DREAMCAST IS NOT DEAD.

NxDoom is the best dreamcast port of doom we have. Yeah, it really needs fixing on the save system, dead zone for the analog, and something to make the game faster when it's playing modules, but it's still good.

About the "dead system": Dreamcast is a great system. It's cheap, powerful, friendly for programmers and makes everything that PS2 does with a very cheaper price.
A console only is dead if nobody plays it anymore. I play it almost everyday and like it very much.

I hope we have a new NxDoom version soon!

P.S: Sorry for my english, I'm Brazilian.

Better English than I've heard from natural English-speakers here . . .

I still play my Dreamcast. Not as often, though, since I sold my Japanese one that I bought before it came out here in the US (my coolest games were Japanese). Sold it for a NeoGeo AES, though, so I guess it's all good in the end ^_^