Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ragnarok

HL2 aligned itself with ATI

It seems the competition between Doom III and Half-Life 2 is carrying over into the two big graphics competitors as well. I'm personally going with id and the Nvidia cards. What about you guys?

I'm not going with anyone. The next card I'm buying will be the cheapest I can find that provides decent performance, and I don't care which brand it is.

Well, I used to be a sort of ATI fanboy, but I really don't care about that stuff anymore.

Buy what is best.

At this very second, nvidia's new card, 6800 is the top card available. We'll see what happens when ATI releases their new one in the next couple of months.

So, if at this VERY SECOND I were getting a new card, it'd be nvidia's new one.

I will go with Doom3 because I don't believe Half-Life 2 will ever be released. As for Graphics cards, I'll go with whatever is the best.

ATI, Like Realplayer, Microsoft outlook and Jdoom fucked up my configuration, gave me error messages and generally reduced the performance of my computer when i first used it at sometime in the past, therefore it is blacklisted and i refuse to ever trust it again, because i am close-minded and stupid

On another note: DoOM 3 RooLz

Shaviro said:

I will go with Doom3 because I don't believe Half-Life 2 will ever be released

People who claim HL2 or Duke Nukem Forever are never going to be released deserve to be kicked in the mouth. Choosing to give up on a project that cost you over $20 million to develop (according to a recent interview with Gabe Newell) just doesn't seem like good business logic to me.

Shaviro said:

I will go with Doom3 because I don't believe Half-Life 2 will ever be released.

By that logic, you could say that you don't believe Doom 3 will ever be released since Id once said they were shooting for a 2003 release - as we all know, Doom 3 wasn't released in 2003 and it's still in development about four years after it was first announced.

Lord FlatHead said:

People who claim HL2 or Duke Nukem Forever are never going to be released deserve to be kicked in the mouth.

Calm down, macho man.

Choosing to give up on a project that cost you over $20 million to develop (according to a recent interview with Gabe Newell) just doesn't seem like good business logic to me.

I doubt they will give up on it. Back in the day, Valve scrapped a nearly finished HL and started over. I'm just "afraid" the same will happen with HL2. Some things point in that direction, but what do I know? It's not something I spend a lot of time thinking of. IOW: Don't take everything I say 100% seriously.

I know, I know. I'm probably just venting my frustration because every time I bring up DNF in a conversation, the knee-jerk response is "pffft, that game won't ever be released". Nothing personal.

note : in a drunken rage I apparently clicked the wrong 'edit' button and managed to delete Sephiroth's post altogether. Sorry Seph, didn't mean to.

-- lord flathead

Sephiroth said:

note : in a drunken rage I apparently clicked the wrong 'edit' button and managed to delete Sephiroth's post altogether. Sorry Seph, didn't mean to.

-- lord flathead

lol

Shaviro said:

I will go with Doom3 because I don't believe Half-Life 2 will ever be released.

your logic is flawed. THERE IS NO DooM3!
and even there was, it would never be released either.

mje said:

Screw HL2 - where's TF2?!?!

Yeah, I doubt Valve will make the same mistake there. They wanted so badly for TF2 to have cutting-edge graphics and physics, they forgot to release the damn thing. Five years ago was kind of a bad time to take a head-down approach to releasing something fresh and inventive, because with all these new features being added to graphics cards creates the compulsion to add it in. First it was LOD player models. Then it was raising polycounts and adding gamemodes and advanced scripting for multi-staged scenarios. I'll bet they'll even hold up content production to support multi-pass texturing and per-pixel lighting. I wouldn't be surprised if they scrapped TF2's engine and used HL2's in the near future(that is, if there's anyone else left on the team).