Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
joedoom221

Mods mods mods...

Oh boy, I can't get the mods to work in any of the Doom ports I've tried (ZDoom (With launcher), ZDoomGL, and Doom Legacy). Doom Legacy is my current one, and this is what I do:

I make it so that the main executable is the Doom Legacy EXE, then I click "Single Map". After that I leave the skill and the level to it's defaults, then I check the box that says "Additional Files (maps, skins, mods )" and load the WAD file that contains the mod, after all that I press OK and it loads up. The problem is everything is normal, no modded stuff, nothing new. I use the Doom2 WAD file, the mod is for Doom2, and all it does is loads it up as if the mod wasn't even there. So please, don't just read through this and ignore it if you know it, at least try if you can :( .

ZDoom is easy, just select all the custom wad/deh files, and drop them onto ZDoom.exe. (Except the main wad, just make sure that is in the same folder.)

Did you check if it was port specific? some wads require certain versions of certain ports.

The launcher for zdoom isnt necessary. In fact I experienced some problems when using it combined with zdoom 2.0.x. Hence, I no longer use it.

YES! Thank you a lot!!! It finally works! My dreams have come true! Oh sorry, ahem, I've been waiting for checking out mods for a LOONNNG time.

I think it is correct to say that most Doomers don't bother with a launcher, and use either:
1) Drag-and-drop (a lot of ports support this - it was introduced as long ago as Boom 2.02, IIRC);
2) Command line (this gives you complete control over the various options);
3) Right-click on a wad brings up a list of options/ports (set up using Tools - Folder Options - File Types in Windows Explorer);
4) Some arrangement involving shortcuts.

Edit: Ah, you got it working. Well, maybe this is useful info anyway.

Hey, actually it turns out I'm only one step closer :(... One mod worked, but others don't for some reason. It keeps complaining about "Haze.raw could not be opened". I think it's because it doesn't load all the MD2's up or anything, by the way, I'm using ZDoomGL.

OK, why not tell us exactly which mods/wads you're trying to get to work? Then people can give more precise instructions. They might need specific ports, or to be installed/loaded in some particular way.

joedoom221 said:

Hey, actually it turns out I'm only one step closer :(... One mod worked, but others don't for some reason. It keeps complaining about "Haze.raw could not be opened". I think it's because it doesn't load all the MD2's up or anything, by the way, I'm using ZDoomGL.

I remember having this problem, but I can't remember how to fix it. The old version of ZDoomGL is the one that supports models, and that version isn't very stable.

Yeah I know, but unfortunately it's the only version that works with MD2s. By the way, I'm using some of my personal Dehacked files (though I used the newer Windows port of it which is called "Whacked"), and I download many different ones from the internet, but since I thought it wasn't working, I only kept one, it's called Dethwish.

[attempt_to_stop_thread_derailing]

If you're trying to run mods with ZDoomGL, chances are that they won't work - as ZDoomGL is somewhat behind in development compared to ZDoom. Particularly if you're running the older MD2-supporting version.

A general piece of advice is to not use a launcher, as many people have had trouble running them - I'd use one of Grazza's alternative suggestions above. If a wad comes with a .bat file (whatever port it's for), use that instead.

[/attempt_to_stop_thread_derailing]

Edit: apparently it is up to date now.

http://www.doomworld.com/vb/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23367