Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Hellbent

Zdoom v. 1.23 beta 24 or whatever the hell its called

I had zdoom 1.22 for a long time. Then I went to the two versions that came out after 1.22 - which I think were 1.23 and 1.24? Well, the second version after 1.22 is real nice and all. But for some reason Mr. Heit thought that making the game not puase when you alt-tab is some how better, so when you get an IM or when, for whatever reason, you are taken from the game and thrown into the windows desktop, the game keeps playing. How lovely. This has got to be the stupidest feature and I can't understand it for the life of me. Not only is it constantly making me dead, but if I want to pause a recording demo without it being paused when played back, I can no longer do it. It used to be I could just alt-tab and when I was ready to resume again, I could. So this has just messed everything up. Please reply saying you too think it was a stupid change. Or reply saying why you think it was a good change.

i love zdoom. it's easily my favorite port. however, there are too many graphical glitches in the latest version. the new features (especially the mp3 support) kick ass, it has an awesome mouse look that isn't as restricted as the other ports.

the only real annoyance i have with the later versions is that when you pick up a backpack, it gives only 1 of each ammo for each weapon, as opposed to 1 small ammo. it makes a huge difference at the start of dead simple when you start with nothing, and pick up the pile of backpacks. (16 shotgun shells vs 64). at least if they make a feature (that affects the gameplay) there should be an option to turn it off.

however, there are too many graphical glitches in the latest version.

I was noticing how that affects monsters - they wake up in all different sections of the level after "seeing" you through faults in the level structure. JDoom is horrible when it comes to this, but the latest ZDoom seems to be even worse.

Plus, it can't even start the video display with anything like AIM or ICQ or IE open, I have to close like every running program on the computer for it to even initalize the video display.

Umm... I just realized something... why is the reply not just at the bottom of the page like in the comments on a news topic? Seeing as you can't reply to a person anymore (*grumbles*) what's the point of having the reply like this? Since I can't see what you two guys said (I could see what the person had said who I was replying to before) it should be the same as it is on the news topic comments. This forum design absolutely boggles me. What was wrong with the old version again? I seem to forgot. Oh, wait, I never knew what was wrong with it.

But that's not the reason I'm replying in this thread. I was just gonna say that yeah the backpack bug is a bit retarded and annoying. But Zdoom still is my favorite port. It's actually the only one I use. One thing I really like about the new version is the coloration that occurs in the things being fired from enemies. It is espcially noticeable with the missiles from Revenents. When they explode, they are very colorful. Same with the baron's plasma (sometimes turns yellow) and the cacos fireball as well. This is probably the only graphical enhancement of any port ever that I really like and prefer over the "stock" graphics. I think JDOOM did the glowing graphical enhancement? That one is pretty cool, too, but a little much. And forget polygon doom - what is that all about anyway? Mind boggles. Hope the non-puasing when you get ejected from the game gets fixed along with the backpack. I'd comment on what you said, Lut, but alas, I can't remember what you said and can't read what you said because of this retarded forum design.

Seeing as you can't reply to a person anymore (*grumbles*) what's the point of having the reply like this?

Wow, welcome to 4 months ago.

Since I can't see what you two guys said (I could see what the person had said who I was replying to before) it should be the same as it is on the news topic comments.

Use the "back" button.

What was wrong with the old version again? I seem to forgot.

Buggy pile of coding garbage.

I'd comment on what you said, Lüt, but alas, I can't remember what you said and can't read what you said because of this retarded forum design.

Wow, is this custom title material or what? :P

Okay, fair enough, but I didn't know if it would erase everything I had written when I click forward again. But I still don't understand why the design was changed to be worse. "Wow, welcome to 4 months ago" I take it that's when the design was changed. But it doesn't exactly answer my question of *why* it was changed.

Oh, and about your name. I know it has an umlaut, but even though I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, seeing that you are a moderator, I still couldn't bring myself to go through all the alt-X combinations to find the U with an umlaut. And I wasn't about to bust open WordPerfect to get access to a character map.

Right... alt-129 ü. You really don't like your name mispelled, huh. Well, now I have no execuse. From now on I'll be sure to call you by your proper name, Lüt. still a pain in the ass though. When I make posts, I like to just whip em out. Going over to the numpad is serious work, don't you know.

I d/led the new ZDoom Beta, but it told me I was missing something called FMOD.DLL. What's up with that? And where do I find this FMOD.DLL?

1) Press PAUSE to pause the game, or ESCAPE to go into the menu (which also pauses it).

2) ALT+TAB out of ZDoom.

3) Wait a few seconds.

4) Maximize ZDoom again.

5) Would you Adam and Eve it, it's still paused!

I've been doing this since the days of Doom '95, so trust me, it works :)

1) Download and install v1.22. (note: I suggest you do NOT load it, as it'll probably start the infamous .cfg / .ini conflict once you do step 2 if you do)

2) Repeat the above with the latest v1.23 beta, making sure it's in the same directory.

3) Everything should be a-ok.

Nightmare - umm... maybe you didn't understand my problem.... Sometimes another programming running in the background will kick me out of zdoom and bring me back to the desktop. When this happens, the game doesn't pause like it used to. It used to be if you atl-tabbed it it would puase. Now it just keeps playing even though I'm at the desktop. So I frantically click on zdoom on the taskbar but it's too late, the demon already got me.

but I didn't know if it would erase everything I had written when I click forward again.

It doesn't. At least, it never has for me or almost everybody else.

But it doesn't exactly answer my question of *why* it was changed.

Basically, the old software was a bug haven, it just sucked. It looked OK, but that was about as far as it went.

but even though I have a tremendous amount of respect for you, seeing that you are a moderator

Heh... yay :P That's a first :)

When I make posts, I like to just whip em out. Going over to the numpad is serious work, don't you know.

That's what the Alt+129 under my name is ;)

Sometimes another programming running in the background will kick me out of zdoom and bring me back to the desktop.

Don't run background applications? I never have anything open when I play games, except maybe AIM (I close ICQ cause of the system hog that it is), but I usually remember to put up an away message with "Hide IMs" checked, so nothing pops up. Since I play DOS ports most of the time, sometimes that crashes them. In the case of ZDoom, it doesn't even start unless it's the only application running.

I posted something about the ATL+TAB thingo on the ZDoom forums a week or two ago... chances are it's already fixed and just waiting for enough improvements to warrant another beta release.