Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lord FlatHead

Doom 3 co-op on XBOX Live

http://www.eurogamer.net/article.php?article_id=55290

The Xbox version of Doom III currently in development at Vicarious Visions will feature co-operative online play via Xbox Live, according to word coming out of an Activision press event in California today. Our source on the scene reports that it "looks great" up and running, and that the four-player Live deathmatch mode is also quite something to behold.

[...]

Interestingly, the co-operative mode - one of the most enjoyable aspects of the original Doom games - is something entirely of Vicarious Visions' design, and will not be appearing in the flagship PC version of the game in development at Id Software.

I'm sure there aren't too many XBOX owners on these forums, but still it's nice to know that one version of Doom 3 is going to have professionally developed co-op included.

I own an Xbox. But I hope they offer splitscreen or system link co-op, not just on Xbox Live so they can pad their coffers.

Job said:

I own an Xbox. But I hope they offer splitscreen or system link co-op, not just on Xbox Live so they can pad their coffers.

Did you even read the article? They said those were the initial features anyway, and Xbox live has just been confirmed.

I'm glad to see that the co-op on the Xbox will be handled through the system link rather than split screen(the first Halo was kinda crappy because of that - I hope they learned their lesson and don't use split screen on the second). Having your own TV or monitor makes for a way better experience. It sucks that they aren't doing a co-op for the computer. I would love to play side by side with some of you guys it sounds like there are some really good players amongst you. My friends that I have that play Xbox are only interested in sports games or fighting games and I kick their asses at that so it doesn't look to promising. Hopefully someone will make a mod for it. We'll see!

Co-op for the PC would be cool. But how hard could it be to stick that in? If they have the deathmatch support, is should be about the same.

etimmerAZ said:

Co-op for the PC would be cool. But how hard could it be to stick that in? If they have the deathmatch support, is should be about the same.

Can you say "expansion pack"?

Job said:

Can you say "expansion pack"?

Yep, it's gonna be Quake 2 all over again, probably.

I personally don't like the idea of co-op in Doom 3. To me, and I may be silly of course, the game seems to pull its atmosphere from the concept of you (the marine) being alone in this Martian base full of demons. When I watched scary movies when I was young, simply having another person there, even in the kitchen next my living room (and not right by me), would make the movie less scary. I think that is what co-op will do for Doom 3. I agree it would be fun to play with friends, and I will probably try it if someone mods co-op, or id releases it in an expansion, but for sure only after I have beaten the SP on my own. Well, that's my opinion.

The main argument i have seen why doom3 should not have co-op is because it would make the game less scary. So what? That doesnt mean the single player mode would be less scary. Why deny your paying customers the option to play co-op? Why not make the game your customers want? Why not add as many different modes of play possible?
It doesnt make sense to me, there must be some technical reasons. The perfect game in my mind would be one with limitless possibilities. If I want to be scared out of my mind, I'd play single player. Seems like ID is shooting themselves in the foot by limiting their game if there is no good reason (being less scary isnt one).

Do you really think discussions just like this one-- on forums just like this one-- never get back to the people at Id? Regardless of what your job is, if you have a computer at home with internet, you're going to sit at it for hours.

Anyway, I'm sure someone at Id will deem co-op important enough to incorporate it into Doom3's engine.

It doesn't matter if it would be less scary on coop! You're not always going to be playing it to get scared!

It would be funny watching your teammate killed by an archville though. :)

Coop is not on PC Doom 3, because it's way harder to incorporate on a PC than on an X-Box. End of story.

Personally, I won't mind waiting until they make an add-on pack which updates the game with co-op - IF they do. The SP, I'm sure, will entertain me enough for me not to give a shit about co-op until it suddenly becomes available. I waited these four years for the sp anyway, not the coop or dm.

Lengis said:

n00b.

Not quite, asshat. If you're going to insult me, at least choose the right one.

Retard would do nicely.

Job said:

Not quite, asshat. If you're going to insult me, at least choose the right one.

Retard would do nicely.

stfu.

We've got a comedic genius here. Try not to use the full extent of your wit on me, I'm still recovering from the last bit of glare from your brilliant retort.

dsm said:

Coop is not on PC Doom 3, because it's way harder to incorporate on a PC than on an X-Box. End of story.

Not really. In fact, not at all.

Zaldron said:

Not really. In fact, not at all.

Then enlighten us.

dsm, you're the one that said it is "way harder," why don't you explain your logic?

That doesn't make any sense. If they can do it in Doom 1 over a modem, there's no reason why they can't incorperate it into doom3. If you can shoot another marine, it shouldn't be that hard to add an imp for two marines to shoot.

Us "PC Elitists" Get higher Resolutions and Fragment shaders :) Oh and better frames overall as well. Oh and Mods..and the list goes on

invaderNny said:

dsm, you're the one that said it is "way harder," why don't you explain your logic?

That doesn't make any sense. If they can do it in Doom 1 over a modem, there's no reason why they can't incorperate it into doom3. If you can shoot another marine, it shouldn't be that hard to add an imp for two marines to shoot.

It was explained not long ago by somebody else (I only remember a few things that other people say - I remind others of what people who know the tech say), that getting two computers to "communicate" while running the sp AI or some shit like that was harder than the Xbox, because the Xbox is just one system, which, I think this guy said, is also better "prepped" for co-op.

The PC, however, is a different story - you'll have to optimize the netcode for many different system configurations. Don't ask me whether there's a difference between dm netcode and co-op netcode, because I don't know - in this case I made a claim based on what somebody else said not too long ago and it was supposedly wrong since a tech-head like Zaldron says it is, but I'd like to know why my claim was wrong, hence I asked for an enlightenment.

You can search this forum for a better elaboration of my claim, but I can't find anything backing Zaldron's claim up, so until I get an elaboration from him (or someone else who knows), I can't really use his statement, other than "it might be right what he says, because he's a tech geek". Then again, this forum has a few "tech geeks" who seemingly know nothing about what they're talking about judging by a few long-winded tech arguments I've seen in the past, so I don't just trust people on their words alone.

*Me predicts the surge of smartass "n00bs" will steadily increase as the release of D3 becomes more iminent*

Nice retort Job. Fuck off other guy whose name I won't waste my time to look up.

He's not a smartass. He's a dumbass, kinda like you and lutrov. Hey check it out job, all your gay boyfriends are comming to defend you.

Lengis said:

stuff that was Last edited by Lengis on 04-25-04 at 11:42

Good one. It appears you first tried making a cogent insult but later realized you had to call your mom in to finish it since you can't write above a third grade level.

Actually I was just fixing some grammar errors. But ofcourse you have run out of things to insult me with so you gotta resort to more pathetic means.

In any case I don't need to waste my time arguing with a 12 year old punk who doesn't know how to read. Maybe a visual example will help you understand,

http://www.home.no/nekholm/pics/funny/forumpics/img.gif