Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Christerray

Will this computer run Doom 3 at full potential?

Intel17 said:

Not everyone is technically versed, so we should help people who dont know and hope they benefit from it. If you dont want to reply dont insult them at least.

Heh.

You're not very "technologicaly versed" it seems. It's not hard to pull numbers and slang out of your ass an pretend to know what the hell you're talking about. But in the end, you're still as nubish as those you're trying educate. You think I'm tossing arround insults, or you think wobbo and andrewb are being mean to you... be happy auxois isn't arround to thoroughly make you feel retarded.

Wait a minute. If Doom 3 does not use pixel Shader 2.0, read this http://www.bluesnews.com/plans/1/

ARB2 is the Open GL 2 standard, and Open GL 2 has support for Pixel shader 2.0. And plus, why do you think Carmack was talking about "ATI doing full fp percision all the time and nvidia doing higher but having to do a mixed mode between 32 bit and 16 bit fp percisions.

You are flaming me yet YOU are the one who is incorrect.

Also what would Carmacks mixed mode be for if Doom 3 didnt use Pixel Shader 2.0? Its certainly not for fixed function 8 bit percison cards...

Wanna prove to me Doom 3 doesnt use Pixel Shader 2.0?

gatewatcher lacks a response to the proof i just gave, so he now calls me a jerk.

MODs please close this thread, the original poster got his info and this is now turning into a flame war.

Intel17 said:

AndrewB, did my proof prove to you doom 3 indeed does use PS2.0?

Intel17. The answer is that nobody knows at this moment. Maybe it is used, maybe not. But it is certainly not required!

And can you please act a bit more mature, you are all over the forums, reviving old threats and making insignificant posts, please stop.

Ok,We do not know if Doom 3 uses PS 2.0

And sorry about making the many posts I will refrain from doing so in the future.

Intel17 said:

You are flaming me yet YOU are the one who is incorrect.

Woah! I never meant to flame you, i was just saying that the particular things you said werent excactly accurate

Besides, your still wrong, when carmack talks about the industry that doesnt mean that hes *currently using it in the engine* Doom3 DOES USE PIXEL ACCERATION, excatly as me and AndrewB said, that is NOT the same thing as the abilities availible in Pixel Shader 2.0, and those abilities arent required

And of course, NO ONE CAN PROVIDE PROOF ABOUT SOFTWARE THAT DOESNT EXIST YET! So no one can proove anything to you or me, what i say is what carmack says *about doom3,* not technology in general

Intel17 said:

http://www.gamers-depot.com/hardware/video_cards/ati_vs_nvidia/dx9_desktop/001.htm

Read john Carmacks bit.

Listen guys, all i wanted to do was help the thread starter out an you all flamed me for nothing. Doom 3 DOES use PS2.0

Now Lets all stop arguing because Its not worth losing potential friend arguing over damn pixel shaders :)

He doesn't mention Doom3 in any of the "proof". Last we heard, Carmack himself said that Doom3 will not be using pixel shaders.

Do you have a Link?? Because if it didnt use pixel shaders it would be technologically behind even UT2004's engine. Oh and by the way...Bumpmapping is a PS/VS function.

Intel17 said:

Do you have a Link?? Because if it didnt use pixel shaders it would be technologically behind even UT2004's engine. Oh and by the way...Bumpmapping is a PS/VS function.

Uh. No it's not. I did run the Doom3 alpha on my Geforce2 you know - WITH bumpmapping. And besides, technologically behind does not necessarily mean graphically behind.

As for the link, I can't remember it. But he did explicitly say that Doom3 does not use any technology which wasn't avaliable on... uhh... Can't quite remember if it was a GF1 or 2. One of them, anyway.

I ran the Alpha on my Radeon 9800 and ran it on my GF4 at equal settings, using the Open GL2 path i could see clear differences.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the game comes out.

EDIT: Heres a Quote from John Carmack when he was interviewed about what he thought about the R300 (radeon 9700)

"The R300 is an Ideal Rendering target for the doom engine, It can do highly complex pixel shader operations for light-surface interactions, and it can very rapily render the stencil shadow volumes for the masking the way of light operations"

Intel17 said:

I ran the Alpha on my Radeon 9800 and ran it on my GF4 at equal settings, using the Open GL2 path i could see clear differences.

I guess we'll just have to wait and see when the game comes out.

Considering you profess to know about these things, I would of thought you'd recognise that switching to the OpenGL2 path doesn't disable the bumpmaps, but enables the specular highlights.

Intel17 said:

EDIT: Heres a Quote from John Carmack when he was interviewed about what he thought about the R300 (radeon 9700)

"The R300 is an Ideal Rendering target for the doom engine, It can do highly complex pixel shader operations for light-surface interactions, and it can very rapily render the stencil shadow volumes for the masking the way of light operations"

Well, that's more recent than the source I had been referring to, so I'm happy to go with that.

Christerray said:

Eh, I deserved it. It was either here, or G4TV. And since none of those people know what they're talking about...

(ie Half-Life 2 is gonna PWN Doom3! HAW HAW! Doom 3 is teh sucks.)

LoL

Hey dude, if your looking for a system still
I can build you one..
I was building/repairing PCs for 3 years while I was in the army.. im also in school for my master's degree in Information Technology..
if your interested (or if you wanna talk shop I can help you get a nice system together and tweaked) email me
sionnachthestoryteller@yahoo.com
Take care man