Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
999cop

Share your first job experience as a highschooler...

I have been having great difficulties with finding a job as a high schooler, especially when you are on a condition that you don't have a reliable transportation that cuts out your opportunities by a lot. I'm in a great need of getting a job, and I was hoping someone could gimme some hints on this...

Get a driver license and/or a car ?

Or you could ask someone you know to see if they need anybody. That way if that person goes by car he/she could give you a lift.

I never had a car or my drivers license in high school either. I'm 23 now and just now got my drivers permit. ha. It's one of my biggest fears, but that's beside the point.

My high school job was at the grocery store. I was a bagger for about a year and then got "promoted" to cashier. It was easy, and pretty fun. (I worked at Kroger) Most of the baggers/cashiers after school and on the weekends were mostly high schoolers, so it was a fun time working with kids the same age.

Share your first job experience as a highschooler...

well...i stocked shelves at a coborns grocery store...i got fired eventually. apparently, i didn't smile enough. seriously, that's basicly what i was told by my boss

Bloodshedder said:

I never had a job, car, or driver's license in high school.

Same.

I did do a lot of under-the-table manual labor, but let us not talk about that.

I started working when I was fourteen when I decided it would be a good idea to ask Mum if I could have my own phone line for the internet.

So here's how it went.

Me: Mum, can I have my own phone line for the internet?

Mum: Sure

**two weeks later on a Saturday morning about 5 a.m.**

Mum: *tosses the sheets off of Arc* Wake up! Its your first day of work with your Aunt Maggie!

Me: x.@ Huh? Work?

Mum: Yeah, you didn't think that phone line was going to be free did you?

Me: ugh... *yawn*

Mum: Good, your aunt will be here at six to pick you up.

---

Yeup, so its been like that ever since. :D I love my job. I do everything the beautitions don't want to do at six dollars an hour.

Quast said:
well...i stocked shelves at a coborns grocery store...i got fired eventually. apparently, i didn't smile enough. seriously, that's basicly what i was told by my boss

I'm not about to agree with your old boss, cos he sounds like a prick. But if you don't smile and chat to the customers, eventually you'll go mad with boredom...

Haven't had one yet :D I'll probably get a job this summer though.

Early one Monday morning, my father had called me and asked if I would like to have dinner at his house a few towns over. Being the loyal 15 year old son that I was, I agreed of course. Instead of going to his house, we go to a metalizing plant.. "Go in there and don't come out untill you have a job". A year later, I was the only 16 year old I knew in charge of a PE-2000R plasma etching machine.. good times.

Never, ever, ever, ever go work at a store where you have to put on a smile all fucking day and watch grannies count pennies. I suggest a few things for your first job:

Landscaping/Tree Pruning. Look up either in the yellow pages, and call every single one for a job. After enough begging and such, there's a good chance you'll get hired by somebody. Just tell them you're good at manual labor, you'll learn quick and follow instructions(and make sure you actually DO this once you get the job). Transportation is usually arranged-- the boss or whoever rides around town to pick everybody up. It ends up being easier that way, go figure. The pay is excellent-- a friend of mine is a tree surgeon and once in a while I help him drag tree branches around. Once I got paid $150 for eight hours' worth of work. If you learn enough of it and get some equipment of your own, you could do worse than to help landscape for friends and family... you could charge hundreds of dollars, and this is still "competitive pricing"!

Movie Theater. If you're immune to the smell of popcorn, try to work as an usher. This job is minimum-effort, minimum-customer relations-- pretty much minimum everything for above-average pay. The best part: people drop money in theaters ALL THE TIME. And 99% of the time they don't come back for it.

Trade assistant. Like landscaping, you can just call up plumbers, network repairmen and such and get paid to watch them work. Eventually you learn the trade and can go into it yourself. The important part is to go to school at the same time so you're not still doing the same thing twenty years from now(unless plumbing is your dream, in which case more power to you).

Psyonisis said:

Typical grocery store job stocking shelves and whatnot. My boss was a dickface.

wait, let me get this right. you knew a guy with a dick on his face? did he have balls on his lip or chin? kidding

i worked at burger king, left for medical reasons. was gonna quite anyways because school was coming.

i never had a licence or car in high school. high school sucked, very lame. honestly my school was a bag-O-carp

Bloodshedder said:

I never had a job, car, or driver's license in high school.

chilvence said:

eventually you'll go mad with boredom...

that's my life anyway

Slinging groceries when I was 16. I kept that job until the end of high school, and still came back during school breaks until a year ago. Is that odd?

I had a part-time job from August to December of '02, but the pay was terrible, the hours were horrid, and everyone who worked and/or shopped there that wasn't me, was an intolerable ass. My dad still chews me out to this day that I dropped the job, but I was glad to get out of there.

Now I work freelance, making tax-free cash and making good investments. I'm beyond needing a Governmentally-recognized job for now, until I'm out of High School and Technical School. Unless you absolutely need money to survive, just chill a little when trying to find employment at a young age.

From experience and knowledge, fast food restaurants and grocery stores are bad places to work. Retail stores, gardening, construction, etc. are where the money is. But try to look into any under-the-table opportunities beforehand.

As for getting a car, well.....I'm going in soon, hopefully, for my Intermediate lisence (Canada-wise, it's my N). I'm in no rush though, because there's nowhere to really drive to right now.

Heh, I tried out too be an english teacher because at the time many japanese were losing any memory of how too speak english. I had no success. Till I got my job as a voice actress.

TGI Fridays as a busboy and I did that before I could drive so THAT SUCKED. £3.60 an hour ALSO SUCKED YOU FUCKING MISERABLE PAYERS WHITBREAD YOU CUNTS. Sorry, had to get that off my chest. I also did Halfords, which is car and bike repairs, before and after I learnt to drive. Really, you've got to drive to work or go to work very near or it makes a 7 hour shift 9 hours for example by the time you've got changed and all.

When I first got into highschool I was 12, so I didn't have a car, nor job. Right now I am 15 and still the same. I am going to look for a job before summer starts, and I can't apply for my licence till I am 16, which then I must wait 3 years (at least) until I can drive without the "Learners" restrictions. Which by then I will be at least 2 years graduated from Highschool. I will graduate at 17, but won't be able to really drive until I am 19. So I hope to get a near-by job and worry of Post-secondary when I can do something about it. :D