Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JacKThERiPPeR

BFG Lamers

Can we do something versus that people who ALWAYS make a cheap frag with the BFG in EVERY FRAG?
Yes, I have improved my DM skills, but I CAN'T evade multible BFG balls!
(This is for you, Brit11 makers. Be sure to make better the playability next time.)

I don't play online dm like i once i did, but i say stop whining to those who complain about bfg use. You only get one shot initially and ammo is rare. It's part o doom dm. If you don't like it, go play Counterstrike.

On the other hand it is a bit annoying sometimes, if they find a way to get around the setbacks. I've never had to but my way of getting around it is to join a new server, or kick em off the server. Heheh

It is possible to evade multiple bfg balls. It just takes practice.

And I agree. The BFG is well for suited for 1on1, but in FFA its kind of an ace of spades.

JacKThERiPPeR said:

(This is for you, Brit11 makers. Be sure to make better the playability next time.)

Have you any idea how old Brit11 is? It was made for the British Doom League games, doubt there will be further Britwads

Put up with the BFG. A simple solution- get it before he does. We all know the shotgun is still superior to that contraption anyways.
Even with all the tricks a BFG can do, you can always avoid it.

Exactly. If they are far away, you can get away from it, if they are up close, SSG their ass off. :)

JacKThERiPPeR said:

Can we do something versus that people who ALWAYS make a cheap frag with the BFG in EVERY FRAG?

haha.

JacKThERiPPeR said:

IN EVERY GAMING COMMUNITY, SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOME WEAPON. In Cs, it is the AWP. In quake, the rocket laucher. In doom, the bfg. God damn people, when will you stop complain about the use of bfg.

The BFG is actually very fun FFA, people are always complaining about other that people spamming with whatever the weapon is.
Jus improve your skills and learn to spam too, it's very fun :)
Any good player can overwhelm any spamming morons.

When you are in map with a couple good BFG handlers, this relies more on luck in respawns. Brit11.wad is a very good example. I used to get very consistent high scores ... losing rarely and only to players like "Bond" (who is a good BFG spammer too, but he's very good with other weapons too :).

I found on Zdaemon servers though, I actually got massive amounts of cells just from picking up the BFG. Enough for a good 4 shots. A shitty set-up, I find.

That's a proper setup, using -skill 5 (100 x2).

Heh... Back in the bbs days these were called bfg fags. Hey if a cheap shot makes you happy then you are pretty lame.
What ever floats your boat...

It's no fun to get turned into a hapless sodden heap by a skilled BFG fag and his huge instrument.

One time I was playing on ZDaemon and I was running around with my SSG, and a guy ended up in front of me so I blew him away. He proceeded to call me a "pussy" for shooting him from the back.

Generally if somone starts whining about the way I fragged them, I start trying to do that to them as much as possible. Usually they leave.

It's just a bit sad isn't it. It's a deathmatch and AFAIK there are no rules saying what you can and can't do other than the game logic.

"Wah you shot me in the back! BFG is for lamerz! Stop hogging the plasma rifle..."

SHUT UP you losers :D

I remember when I used to be into Duke3D, I used to memorise all the respawn points and cover em with a laser trip + pipebomb. Cheap I know but there's nothing stopping them from doing the same.

DaniJ said:

It's just a bit sad isn't it. It's a deathmatch and AFAIK there are no rules saying what you can and can't do other than the game logic.

"Wah you shot me in the back! BFG is for lamerz! Stop hogging the plasma rifle..."

SHUT UP you losers :D

I remember when I used to be into Duke3D, I used to memorise all the respawn points and cover em with a laser trip + pipebomb. Cheap I know but there's nothing stopping them from doing the same.

The question I ask is if you find that fun, or were just doing it to win.

The question I ask is if you find that fun, or were just doing it to win.

Hell no that aint fun (well, maybe sometimes). I would only use that tactic if either everyone else was, or I was seriously getting my ass kicked.

You do what you have to in order to win. If the necessary course of action is one some people deem lame - then that's their problem. As long as it's not cheating I can't see what there is to get upset about.

Still most decent players would just stop me from getting the laser trips. I must admit though, I have won quite a few 8 player+ DM's at the very last minute where I was 6/7 frags down and someone was say 3/4 from the win. I'd suddenly break off from who ever I was battling and do my rounds. The odds are definetly in my favour when all players are equally skilled:D

DaniJ said:

Still most decent players would just stop me from getting the laser trips. I must admit though, I have won quite a few 8 player+ DM's at the very last minute where I was 6/7 frags down and someone was say 3/4 from the win. I'd suddenly break off from who ever I was battling and do my rounds. The odds are definetly in my favour when all players are equally skilled:D

Heh, sounds like putting the prox mines inside the items in Goldeneye. Isn't there a similar problem in Duke? I'm fairly sure you can place a tripmine inside an item and it won't cast a beam.

As for other stuff, I agree that there isn't anything more boring than playing someone way above or way below your skill. Doing what'll result in a win is not always so high on my priority list personally, but I think there's a hell of a lot of skill in being a good cheat.

I had a cool experience on ZDaemon today.

There were like, six or seven players on this d5m1 server, and some of them were running around with the bfg trying to win.

At the end of the match (first to 50), I won and the 2nd place guy was 15 frags behind me. I didn't touch the BFG once.

Isn't there a similar problem in Duke? I'm fairly sure you can place a tripmine inside an item and it won't cast a beam.

Yeah but I do it the other way around. Place the pipe bomb on the respawn spot then put a laser trip anywhere you want, just as long as the line crosses the spawn spot. As soon as the player spawns it trips the laser, that causes an explosion at the player's location which then explodes the pipe bomb.

Personaly I love the BFG. It adds a lot of strategy to DM in well designed wads.

BFG doesn't bother me, I can evade, plus it's fun to rack up the Monster Kills and such in one shot. However, I hate when 8 or 9 people are all firing the plasma gun endlessly. Makes it hard to see and maneuver. It would be better if the plasma bullets reflected the color of the firing player.

VolteFace said:

BFG doesn't bother me, I can evade, plus it's fun to rack up the Monster Kills and such in one shot. However, I hate when 8 or 9 people are all firing the plasma gun endlessly. Makes it hard to see and maneuver. It would be better if the plasma bullets reflected the color of the firing player.

the color stuff would sure be a good idea.
And yes, BFG is not very hard to dodge when a lamer is handling it.
With a skilled player it's different :)

Hey, that's not a bad idea about coloring the plasma balls!

I know many of the purists hate it, but a la Quake III's OSP, it's just another way to customize the game without actually altering gameplay.

PS - sorry - I don't mean to revive a dead thread.

VinceDSS said:

the color stuff would sure be a good idea.
And yes, BFG is not very hard to dodge when a lamer is handling it.
With a skilled player it's different :)

Badfish has so proven that