Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
JacKThERiPPeR

BFG Lamers

Okay
The thing is
The BFG fires it's attack that insantly kills you from where the guy is standing when the ball explodes.
So, if he's any good of a player he'll most likely be moving away to prevent being shot by you or someone else, so my suggestion is move in the other direction and you won't get hit period as long as you miss that stupid ball.

DD_133 said:

Badfish has so proven that

The thing about being a lamer or the good player one? :)

Oh No Its Kyle said:

Okay
The thing is
The BFG fires it's attack that insantly kills you from where the guy is standing when the ball explodes.
So, if he's any good of a player he'll most likely be moving away to prevent being shot by you or someone else, so my suggestion is move in the other direction and you won't get hit period as long as you miss that stupid ball.

That's not how the BFG works :P

Uh, yeah it is.
The first shot fired from the BFG is the ball. The ball is like a rocket. But when the ball explodes the BFG sends out it's second attack, about 40 high powered shots all going out in a V formation, each doing anywhere from 35-500 a peice. (The bell curve usually gives you about 250 a shot, you almost never do the 500, or 35) from where ever the person is standing at the time. This is why you can fire a shot off in MAP01 and run across to the other side of the map and kill someone instantly. There is a webpage about this but I lost the link. Also all my info on the exact number of shots and power of them (besides the bell curve making it so it's evened out) are from memory so I'm most likely wrong on those parts, but I know I'm right about the second firing of the BFG because I did the trick in MAP01 and it works.

You know, in the past few days I've really come to respect the BFG users that are extremely good at it in map1 1v1. It's an annoying way to be beaten, but really - this is DOOM. And in DOOM II, map1, the way to beat your opponent requires some "annoying" strategies. Cammping, spawnraping, and one other glaring strategy that kind of goes with the others - BFG ummm laming.

REALLY good 1v1 BFG use is something that requires a lot of skill and definitely shows who has control of map01.

And it's respectable.

I thought zdoom/zdaemon/skulltags bfgaiming off thingy stops that fov-aiming trick.You know what's funny in dwango5 map01 hide in the bfg corridor with a ssg,or follow people in there right after they pick up the bfg they tend to be defenless for a couple secounds after nabbing the bfg.The bfg is cool.If you don't like it play maps that don't have the bfg.r-mega,for example does not have a bfg in any map. i haven't found one if there is anyway...

JacKThERiPPeR said:

(This is for you, Brit11 makers. Be sure to make better the playability next time.)

Wasn't Britt11 designed for 1on1?

Torn said:

IN EVERY GAMING COMMUNITY, SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOME WEAPON. In Cs, it is the AWP. In quake, the rocket laucher. In doom, the bfg. God damn people, when will you stop complain about the use of bfg.

Well said Torn!

Also, this thread is very badly named. The definition of a BFG Lamer is not someone who uses the BFG to get a lot of frags. A true BFG Lamer is someone who attempts to use the BFG without any concept of the physics of it and, therefore, not having a clue what they're doing. Read the BFG FAQ - I can't remember where to get it, but I'm sure fodders will post the link.

At any rate, I recommend that first link in my previous post for beginners. That takes away a lot of the beginning confusion of the weapon just by look at those animated pictures.

Torn said:

IN EVERY GAMING COMMUNITY, SOME PEOPLE HAVE TO COMPLAIN ABOUT SOME WEAPON. In Cs, it is the AWP. In quake, the rocket laucher. In doom, the bfg. God damn people, when will you stop complain about the use of bfg.

Unreal doesn't have one :P

Draconio said:

One time I was playing on ZDaemon and I was running around with my SSG, and a guy ended up in front of me so I blew him away. He proceeded to call me a "pussy" for shooting him from the back.

Generally if somone starts whining about the way I fragged them, I start trying to do that to them as much as possible. Usually they leave.

This loser I've deathmatched in Quake used to say the same thing all the time. It's probably the same loser.

Draconio said:

Generally if somone starts whining about the way I fragged them, I start trying to do that to them as much as possible. Usually they leave.

That's what I do. Plus it makes me laugh a little when they start whining. >=)

IMO, if you're good and the map doesn't suck you should be able to neutralise the threat of the BFG to a fairly large degree.

If you're fairly well-matched players and can both get to the BFG then again, it should level itself out in the course of a dm.

pritch said:

IMO, if you're good and the map doesn't suck you should be able to neutralise the threat of the BFG to a fairly large degree.

If you're fairly well-matched players and can both get to the BFG then again, it should level itself out in the course of a dm.

Yeah whenever I get to turn the tables on people usin it they like to bitch piss and moan about it.

Twiztid said:

That's what I do. Plus it makes me laugh a little when they start whining. >=)

Hey, I've heard of people that at the third frag they don't respawn, so they remove the DM fun.

JacKThERiPPeR said:

Hey, I've heard of people that at the third frag they don't respawn, so they remove the DM fun.

Yeah, I've gone up against acouple of those people.

Well, really, in my opinion, if you want to be INCREDIBLY good, the BFG is simply required. Can you imagine playing a good player (i.e. [and I know I always bring him up] Ocelot) on DOOM II Map01 and only use the ssg with some rockets or cg here and there?

The BFG is a crucial strategic weapon for map control. There's simply nothing lame about it -- if you've got the skill (and it DOES take a ton of skill, done correctly), you can use the same TACTICS on them.

As far as I'm concerned, the BFG isn't the problem. If there is any problem, it's that it's too easy to get on some of the most popular levels. Look how freaking easy it is to get in Doom2 Map01 or Dwango5 Map01, by far the two most popular DM levels.

The issue is poor level design, not poor weapon design.

If I thought DOOM II was supposed to be looked at like another dm game, I might agree that it's poor level design. For instance, Map01 would NEVER (seemingly) work with something like Quake III. On the other hand, though, you have to look at exactly what DOOM II deathmatch is. It is extremely hardcore. It's not simply "easy" to frag a good player on Map01. It takes a monumental effort and/or a mistake on their part. Map01 is all about control.

It's probably the tightest grip on control I've ever seen as the objective for winning a 1v1. Simply hardcore.

I wouldn't call it bad level design -- not in DOOM II, though I probably would call it that in another game.

You're totally missing the point. The complaint is about the overuse of the BFG. This is not the fault of the weapon. It's because it's WAY WAY WAY too easy to get the BFG on the most popular DM levels such as Map01. That has nothing to do with level structure. It's an issue of item placement, not linedef placement.

Some levels are nothing but a BFG-fest, it is true. But this is NOT the fault of the weapon itself, and it is NOT the fault of the people using the BFG.

mje said:

Well, really, in my opinion, if you want to be INCREDIBLY good, the BFG is simply required. Can you imagine playing a good player (i.e. [and I know I always bring him up] Ocelot) on DOOM II Map01 and only use the ssg with some rockets or cg here and there?

The BFG is a crucial strategic weapon for map control. There's simply nothing lame about it -- if you've got the skill (and it DOES take a ton of skill, done correctly), you can use the same TACTICS on them.

Well. The problem is that in some servers, some whiners use the BFG excessively and fill the map with BFG balls. Like in Brit11 servers. For example, you play a nice 1on1 with your friend when suddenly all motherfuckers wanna ruin your game with lots of BFG balls.
That's what I tried to say.

Well, there are a few suggestions:

1) Limit the game to 2 players
2) Play a map where the BFG is harder to get

Beyond that, I can't see how the BFG can "ruin your game."

i agree with what Draconio said. every game has its overpowered weapons. CS has the AWP (bang, your dead), Halo has the Fuel Rod Gun, and Doom has the BFG. and if you are like me you don't like to use them and think anybody who does is a damn n00b, etc.

just deal with it. if you get tired of some jerk constantly picking up the bfg in Dwango5, then go and make sure he dosn't get it next time.

POTGIESSER said:

This loser I've deathmatched in Quake used to say the same thing all the time. It's probably the same loser.

I swear I've met him! :P

U should also keep in mind that doom wasnt designed for 16 players in one map, or a shitty ping that doesnt allow u to aim your ssg properly. I can see why ppl get annoyed by overuse of this weapon in FFA games, i do too, if u have got 8 players in a level with bfg always easy to grab, then the fun is over, u cant really dodge anything however skilled u are.