Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
gemini09

Would you pay for a Doom2 game?

No it's not the same topic. That was sent to post-hell by some moron.

I just have a few things to say.
I was looking to get a few peoples attitudes on buying an add-on for Doom2, in the year 2004. Because I will soon start on a game for Doom, and it will not be just another WAD, and if I can make money off it, I will. Second, some of you come and insult me instead of answering the simple question, great contribution, retards!!! Very useful.

And don't assume shit right away, and then state facts by it. The same guys call ME dumb, idiots.

If you have an answer for me, or anything RELATED TO THIS, IN MY INTEREST, talk, the rest of you go bitch and play child games some place else.

Wow, you actually started flaming before anyone even replied. Bravo.

In any case, no, I wouldn't even consider paying for any form of Doom add-on. I can play some of the greatest levels created for free. Why pay for this?

This is actually a good idea; everyone has the right to express their talents, and if you believe you should be paid to make a cool set Doom levels and an addon or two, then I support you. Just be careful not to go the wrong way, like with HACX.

However, I myself don't pay for maps/addons, unless it's REALLY GOOD, in which case since HACX is the only addon that had to be paid for, so no I don't.

Selling wads is lame because the makers and distributors of the game have asked us not to do it.

VolteFace said:

Wow, you actually started flaming before anyone even replied. Bravo.

You missed the reason. Look for this topic in Post Hell.

VolteFace said:

In any case, no, I wouldn't even consider paying for any form of Doom add-on. I can play some of the greatest levels created for free. Why pay for this?

Because like I said, it will not be 'just another megawad'. By that I mean looks, perhaps a storyline, and gameplay.

Let me put it this way, if the game looks awesome, would you buy it, or would you not, because compared to for example Doom3, the levels are out-dated (but not compared to the best Doom2 WADs), there are sprites instead of 3D models, the music is midi files, and so on. The price would be 10-15$.

At the moment I'm just considering this, I might release as a regular WAD for the community, or I might not.

Darkhaven4, indeed, it's up to the creator, not morons on Doomworld forums :-) We'll see how things turn out with the project later, take care.

Myk, obviously, I would clear all things like that out of the way before selling it. That's a given...PS it's not the project which you are SUPPOSED to fix the texture WAD of... ;-)

Perhaps, if you sent the test map already. Though I'm doubting now, since you're presenting yourself as a wad-seller.

You won't get id (much less Activision) to pay attention to you, heh.

It's fortunate that the game is so old that trying to profit from it is pointless and silly.

And, by the way, I'm making the best wad ever (or at least that's the idea... why aim lower?), and have no intention of selling it. I already have a job, and the ludicrous idea that I'd gain more than I'd lose for putting it on sale isn't going to incite me to put a price on it.

myk said:

Perhaps, if you sent the test map already. Though I'm doubting now, since you're presenting yourself as a wad-seller.

No, I am not presenting myself as a WAD-seller, I'm asking a simple question.

I already told you this is a different project from the one I'm currently working on, and I sent you the map 3 hours ago.

Relic Religia, yes, but I simply want to hear what peoples attitude is towards purchasing an 'out-dated' game. I'll probably put up videos when I have enough work done, to display the game, and then see peoples reactions...so in other words, I'll get to that.

gemini09 said:

Because I will soon start on a game for Doom, and it will not be just another WAD, and if I can make money off it, I will.

Ha, I wanna see this. You haven't even be able to add new textures to a WAD for years.

boris said:

Ha, I wanna see this. You haven't even be able to add new textures to a WAD for years.

Sue me, scumbag. Did I even say my part was to add lots of textures? Move along boy.

I payed for Doom2 and for Final Doom. And since there are more addons available for free than I could ever play through, I see no reason in buying addons anymore.

I don't buy games (except some really cool collector's editions or things that are otherwise impossible to get, which are an almost empty set as of today).

gemini09 - I won't buy anything from you for sure.

Please just fuck off and die. Ripping off other peoples' hard work (resources) and then selling it? God dammit.

myk said:

You won't get id (much less Activision) to pay attention to you, heh.

He might if he offered them $5000 for a license to sell this wad as a Doom2 add-on.

Selling wads without id's support (i.e. Final Doom) is about as bad as Woolie Wool trying to pass off a Slige megawad as his own work, and I seriously doubt that they will support anymore commercial projects for Doom 2.

They didn't exactly support Hacx, Hell2Pay or Perdition's Gate as far as I am aware. I imagine they just took the money and had a quiet chuckle to themselves.

I know about the other two, but I thought HACX was supported by id. Oh well... Anyway, except for Final Doom, no I would not even consider buying any Doom 2 wadfiles.

I wasn't aware of Hacx being sold as an id product, or marketed via them. Could be wrong though.

BlackFish said:

*points at shadowrunner's title*

Shh... If you mention his name he might start posting here again.

AfaIk, Final Doom and the Masterlevels are the only 3rd party wad's which are officially supported by id. Also Final Doom is no addon, hence a somewhat different case.

BlackFish said:

Ah, heh. I didn't notice that. I guess maybe that's because I rarely ever read blogs (though that's probably a good thing).

he always posts on the blogs, but i only know about the threads from posts by people who do read them.

anyway, yes, i might pay for a doom mod, if it was ACTUALLY the MOST AMAZING MOD ever, and if you're the most talented TC maker here, go ahead. but to actually pay for it, it would have to have the gameplay of something like half-life, or some new first person shooter, basically it would have to be so good you could never make it.

Doom2 is a very old game. Regardless of how good the wad is, it's for a very old game - if Doom2 were newer, (say about just a year old) sure I would, but Doom2 is not new, and therefore my answer is no.