Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Linguica

The /newstuff Chronicles #178

Glub Glub! It's me, Scuba Steve! Here to bring you this weeks /newstuff. It's just you and me this week kiddos, so we'll make the best of it. We'll have some fun, we'll laugh a little learn a little, and most importantly I promise not to mention Action Doom, the amazing new project coming soon from me.

• Quick and Deadly 2 by DooMBoy (Do I capitalize the y?)
    Any exe - (img) (img) (img)
    Quick like my intercourse skill and deadly like a Ninja, DooMBoy combined two great ideas, a lot of action and a short level. Granted, this is not a novel new approach, but it's still a great deal of fun. Quick and Deadly 2 is the continuation of Quick and Deadly. Seriously, it's true. So I had to go play Q&D1 before playing the sequel, Quick and Deadly 2: Too Deadly. Quick and Deadly 2 is an improvement over the original, it looks better and has more Deadlier. During my first run through, I had grabbed all the doom guns sans the BFG in the first 30 seconds. "Hmm, that's silly" I said... but then it dawned on me... this was quicker! Shorter level, less time to each gun... but don't let that fool you, there's still plenty of deadly to go around. I made 2 attempts (one more than normal) to beat the level without cheats, which says a lot about it. This level is difficult, but far from impossible... for anyone but me. I was quick (like the wad) to notice that Quick and Deadly 2 uses similar traps to the first one, so you might not be shocked at some things.

I liked it very much, a quick wad that is still quite deadly. On the Scuba Steve scale of Rating, 5 Flippers being the Highest and a blowfish being the lowest, I give Quick and Deadly 2...

Three Flippers, a Snorkel and a pair of goggles.

• Dungeons of the Doomed by Rich Carlson
    Any exe - (img) (img)
    Dungeons of the Doomed was originally a Doom level from 1996, converted to a Doom 2 level in 1997 and now revamped today in 2004 with tweaks and fixes. Having gone through more changes than Reginald Dwight's wardrobe, I would expect something a bit flashier, albeit it's not bad, just bland. Most importantly, Dungeons of the Doomed features a new Midi, Night on Bare Mountain by the Famous Russian Composer, Petrovich Mussorgsky. Much like Mussorgsky's work due to his excessive alcoholism, this wad feels unfinished. I spent 80% of the wad in a wooden citadel... and then I felt worried for all the demon inhabitants. I imagine that a wooden citadel would not be best suited for hell, what with the Fire and Brimstone and all. I suppose Fire coverage is high though. Dungeons of the Doomed feels very much like an older level, which is where I find fault. With so many revisions, maybe the 2004 edition should have expanded it father, taking advantage of modern level techniques.

Two Flippers and A snorkel.

• Smoke the Beehive by Rich Carlson
    Any exe - (img) (img)
    I would first like to read to you a snippet from the text file from the Hexagonal wonder that is Smoke the Beehive.

"There is no such thing as
    too many imps. Happiness is a warm gun.
    Don't panic. Etc."

Truly a quote worthy of gracing the pages of the Doom Comic. This map is weird and is centered on a honeycomb setup. Me being the observant one that I am didn't realize that I was in a honeycomb of sorts until I hit the map. It feels very 1996ish, so let me run you through my game. I shot some guys, teleported and died. IDDQD. IDKFA. I shoot some guys with the BFG9000 and teleport. I then proceeded to get lost for 10 minutes, until I realized there were hidden doors in the middle honeycomb. Most interesting is a Giant black obelisk in the main courtyard that does nothing. At least I don't think so, I never was too good with secrets. Props though, the author did arrange his own Midi, however it is not up to the Nationalistic piece that moved the last wad.

Three Goggles.

• Somewhat Evil by Ninja_of_DooM
    Legacy - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    I will first walk you through my attempt to play this wad. Somewhat Evil uses Legacy to play, so being the generous reviewer and tolerant human that I am, I decided to download Legacy to play this wad. I grab Legacy and install it. Install wizard, swell. I start the launcher, add the iwad and the level. Nothing. Try regular Legacy. Error. I move it to the base Doom2 folder. Error. Launcher from the Doom2 folder. Error from this now.

So I start up Zdoom with this wad and I give it high marks. I don't think using Zdoom had too bad an effect on the level. There were a few parts that looked like they would have had a 3D bridge, and the txt file says "Legacy Teleports used", but I managed to get through fine anyways. I'm not very fond of wads that play like original doom or use original textures, but Somewhat Evil is very nice... and playable! I actually played through the entire wad... WITHOUT cheats! Yay. Well... OK, so I fell down a hole because I was playing with clipping to see how far it was not knowing I could die from it. But I started over, clipped to where I was, used the console to give myself the same health, weapons, ammo and armour I had before. That's how dedicated I was to this level. The mod has an embedded Dehacked file, but I'm not really sure what it does, as there are no real discernable changes. SO the review...

Four Flippers for Somewhat Evil...

...and the coveted 'Blowfish' for Legacy (or my computer)

• The Rebirth by Björn Ostmann
    Any exe - (img) (img) (img)
    "Hmm..." I thought when I loaded it up. I had read the text file, and it said this was a 32 level replacement for Doom2, and that "This was the author's first Doom2 level". "Spectacular" I thought. The first level was your basic Doom2 looking level. Smae with the Third, the fourth the fifth... but then things started changing. The levels started growing in complexity and asthetics. Soon I was racing through incredibly detailed levels, that still had a Doom2 look and feel, only 10x better. Imagine a world where Doom2 didn't suck ass, this would be that that game. The new textures and sprites are great and fit well, and the maps even seem inspired by original doom2 levels, but noting looking like crap. Map20 is exactly how "Downtown" (*Vomits*) could have looked if you used the same feel, but knew how to map. You suck Sandy Peterson. The secret levels are great, and the final boss battle is the standard "shoot the head" ending... but the level getting to there is very nice looking. Doom2 sucks.

Three Flippers, a pair of goggles and a snorkel.

• thefwf's cargo bay DM by thefwf
    Zdoom - (img) (img)
    From the Txt File...

"Everyone on WIP for making me realise how boring my wads are :P"

Great! Thanks to all the people on WIP for reviewing this wad for me in advance. The music file is the best part, It sounds like an old Nintendo game, but like the WIP guys said, it can't disguise the boring feel. They make a good case though, it is a tad boring. Not Terrible, just nothing to look at. Like my car, it might not look like an ugly giant monstrosity, but it still runs well after 15 years. Granted, it may be a hog when it comes to gasoline and burn oil like nobody's business, but it's not too bad. It's just that, well it started rusting pretty bad this year and it's just not practical to repair the body on such an old car.

and
    Two Flippers and a pair of goggles because the music is fun.

• ARENA by Ralf Wueltener
    Any exe - (img) (img)
    Have you ever wanted to battle in an Arena in DooM? What? You have? What's that? You've done it 50 time slready? Come Again? You say you're in the process of making one too? Here's how I'd imagine a... doom arena ...

Snorkel

• STIGMATA by Ray Schmitz (*snicker*)
    Any Limit Removing Port - (img) (img)
    I like this level. It's not Amazing, but it's good. It's solid. Good tunes, some nice architecture. I don't know about gameplay since I blazed through with all cheats, but it looks to be a good challenge. It reminds me of hearing a good song on the radio. Let me tell you a story. Back in 1999 When I first heard "Promises" by Def Leppard on the radio, I had no idea who was singing it, but my inital reaction was "Hey this is a pretty good song", but I was hesitant to say it out loud becuase I thought it might be some modern band and everyone would laugh and call me gay if I had. Fortunately it turned out to be Def Leppard so I could put aside the fears of being ostracized. Like the song though, this wad is solid. Worth a play.

Three Flippers and a Snorkel for Stigmata...

And one Flipper for 'Stigmata' the movie. I mean, what the hell was that all about?

• Silent Steel by Bryant Robinson
    Vavoom - (img) (img) (img) (img)
    VaVoom. Therein lies the problem. VaVoom doesn't work on my machine. I blame VaVoom. My computer, old as she may be, should not have troubles running any Doom port. I myself should also not have troubles installing a new port. I may not be as smart as many of you, or as computer literate, or attractive, or drive the nicest car or live in the warmest climate, have as many friends as many of you or just stack up next to anyone here... but I should be capable of installing a new port. Too bad too. Silent Steel looked like a very ambitious project. New Models, stuff from Quake 2, 3D things... so all you get are four screenshots I stole from the website. And as for Vavoom...

...you get the coveted 'Blowfish'

Well, it's that time again. We've had a good week here on /newstuff, and I hope you guys come back again soon. I must be off now, but don't fret my DooM children, our paths may yet one day cross again. Maybe in a Baskin Robins, with their 31 flavours of delicious Icecream including Bubble Gum which I adore, a local pub perhaps, or even on that great forum in the sky.

tp! Yeah, I didn't know Scuba was a reviewer but that's an interesting award system you've got.

@Scuba:
Hey, your Car looks rather cool ^.^
Not these streamlinethingaboos you can buy nowadays. But something with style and some kind of magic for the eyes.
Drive it as long as it wont crumble to dust.

And as for newstuff, maybee i get my lazy german ass moved to complete a level and upload it ;)
Not to much architecture tricks but i think it will be fun to play.

So Long, The Werelion!

...and the coveted 'Blowfish' for Legacy (or my computer)

Heaven forbid you ask for help - Did you put the Doom2 Iwad in the Legacy folder?

Lutrov71 said:

I thought 'the Rebirth' was released quite a while ago. Or is it a re--release...

bug fixed re-release

Too bad about Silent Steel. I quickly checked it out with Vavoom (the first time I ran this abomination of a source port for a prolonged period of time) I'm just wondering. What's all that eye candy worth if it's easily the ugliest renderer of all source ports? No matter whether I use software or OpenGL - it just looks awful (especially OpenGL - there are small gaps with white looking through everywhere), it doesn't play well and it doesn't feel right.

Bottom line: A potentially good wad ruined by a poor choice of the engine it uses... :-(

Three Flippers and a Snorkel for Stigmata...

has more Deadlier

Have you ever wanted to battle in an Arena in DooM? What? You have? What's that? You've done it 50 time slready?

Please dont let him do the reviews ever again

though at least he didnt include a pointless "funny" image link to a bizzarely-named animal at the end

deathbringer said:

Please dont let him do the reviews ever again

though at least he didnt include a pointless "funny" image link to a bizzarely-named animal at the end

This coming from someone who did XD all the time.

His reviews were great, have a sense of humor.

Somewhat evil was a great map. It had sufficent detail and great gameplay. I'll play that map more times. keep it up ninja.

Heh. Silent Steel looks like it might be cool, but I'm having the same problems as Scuba with VaVoom. :P

Heh. Counter-Doom got two flippers and a snorkel.

Anyway, I took the time to nab VaVoom. Frankly, I'd really like it if he switched back to Zdoom projects. However, the addon was very nice. (it looks better if you use all 3d models since there are 3d model replacements). The problem in this one though is that the last level nuked my fps. :(

It's worth checking out.

Edit: I keep getting a StreamBuffer error in legacy when I load up Whatevil.wad. Anybody else getting this?

edit: this streambuffer thing is a 1.42 bug. 1.41 works fine.

Yay, Steve liked my map :)
Glad to see it got through to the archives....and IT WAS THE FIRST MAP REVIEWED THIS WEEK OMG OMG OMG LOL

So has anyone else managed to install Vavoom? It just keeps whining about things being missing for me. And there is NO help what-so-eva at the Vavoom site.

I'm tied between Quick and Deadly 2 and Somewhat Evil for wad of the week.

I got Vavoom to run but I was able to start Silent Steel only after removing the model and skybox info. I have absolutely no clue how you are supposed to start this mod correctly... :-(

Put the "Silent" folder into the folder where your vavoom stuff is. Then you start vlaunch.exe, then in the box where it says "custom game" put in Silent. Bing bada bing bang boom bigga bee bam.

Epyo said:

Put the "Silent" folder into the folder where your vavoom stuff is. Then you start vlaunch.exe, then in the box where it says "custom game" put in Silent. Bing bada bing bang boom bigga bee bam.

You have to use a *LAUNCHER*??? Bleah!

Graf Zahl said:

I got Vavoom to run but I was able to start Silent Steel only after removing the model and skybox info. I have absolutely no clue how you are supposed to start this mod correctly... :-(

This is what I did, FWIW:

0) You need to know how to use a command-line to do this!!!
1) Get the latest version of Vavoom vavoomengine.com
2) Use WinTex or DeuTex to merge the wads all into one wad, say, TEMP.WAD.
3) Use GLVIS and GLBSP to reconstruct the GL data (WinTex will screw it up):
3a) glbsp temp.wad -o silent.wad
3b) glvis silent.wad
4) Create a batch file as follows:

c:
cd \thissite\steel\silent
vavoom95 -game c:\thissite\steel\silent -file c:\thissite\steel\silent\silent.wad

5) Edit the base.txt file as follows:

// Doom II: Hell On Earth
game basev/doom2
iwad xxxx/doom2.wad
end

where xxxx is the full path of your DOOM2 folder.

run the batch file you created in step 4 when you want to run the game. Change the paths as required.

Note that you do not have to clutter up your Vavoom folder, using the above method, you can place silent steel wherever you like.

Bombay

HTH

Martin

Planky said:

Heaven forbid you ask for help - Did you put the Doom2 Iwad in the Legacy folder?

thats the only thing you did wrong, scuba. There is a bug in Legacy that makes have to have ALL the files in the same directory(exept pwads). You need to put the Legacy.exe, the Legacy launcher, and other required files(like fmod.dll and the renderer .dlls)all in one directory. Then put a copy(or the wad itself) of your doom iwad in the same directory as Legacy. then you are ready to go! (note:pwads and dehacked patches can be put wherever you want-its the main files you have to worry about.)

Graf Zahl said:

You have to use a *LAUNCHER*??? Bleah!

Yep, works for me anyway. Remember Braham Manor from a few weeks ago?

Anyway, it's something nice to start with for this week's newstuff...