Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duncan

doom 2 favourite maps

Something which has always plagued me is how others see the game that I grew up playing- Doom2. I personally love it but maybe that's b/c it has sentimental value attached along with it as I have many fond memories. Some ppl hate the doom 2 maps and I have to admit, compared to newer levels, they can be seen as bland. But they were revolutionary at the time I suppose. What is everyone's favourite and least favourite doom 2 map or do you have no preferences. Are there even some that don't like any of them?

This has been done before, but what the hell. I really enjoy map04 and map05. A lot of the earlier and mid levels bear a lot of nostalgia for me. Least favorite is probably The Pit or The Chasm. Or map21.

I love most of them. Maps I don't like as much as the others are 9 (though it's not as bad as DoomBoy claims, heh), 19, 21, 22, 24, 25 and 31. Generally speaking, the maps by American McGee and John Romero are the best.

I really dislike THE CHASM and DOWNTOWN. The rest are really neat. I particularly like maps 28,15,10 and 11. Oh I'm not too keen on 19 either!

Downtown is kind of annoying because it takes so long time to complete, but I wouldn't place it right at the bottom of the list.

Shaviro said:

I actually love "the chasm"...

I've got to ask...why?

The Chasm would be awesome if there was a way to get out of the slime pit in the last room.

I don't like the chasm because it's so bland. There are no interesting fights in it and it just gets annoying

Map09 sucks

No, it's not the worst map in Doom2, but it's certainly not up there with the good ones. I really can't think of one good thing to say about this particular map. The texture/flat scheme is butt ugly and the gameplay is boring, IMO.

It's been quite a while since I've run through Doom 2, but ones that come to mind would be Map14 (Inmost Dens) and Map29 (The Living End). Not sure what would make me say those two though. I don't recall thinking any of the levels sucked as bad as some people say (not even Nirvana), especially compared to some of the junk you can dredge up on the archives, but I do wish they had done "real" secret levels like with Doom 1 instead of the Wolfenstein conversions.

Map02 and map04 were decent efforts, but not still as good as the first few maps of Ultimate Doom, IMO.

Uhm, the first time I got to see map07, it was just breathtaking. The architecture appeared so alien, compared to doom(1)maps (or even d2 map01-06). I really remember thinking "what is this chasm about?", because the architecture was so strange. Nowasays I have to laugh, because the biggest height difference is like 80 pixels, or so.
Worst map: 30. Because I hate shooting walls for final bosses.
+: It took me and my friends months to figure out, how to kill romeros head without idclip. This brings up a new question: How long took it each of you to kill him without cheating?

Deathmatcher said: This brings up a new question: How long took it each of you to kill him without cheating? [/B]

When I first came up against that guy I was like 8 or 9 so I had the brain power of celery. It took me months to work out and I kinda gave up. But my Dad got into Doom when I was about 11 so when he got to map 30, I figured it out almost immediately. So like 2 years!

I pretty much liked all of Doom2. There are no maps I dislike. Particular favourites? Maybe 06, 09, 13, 14, 17, 19, 23, 25, 28, 29.

I like "The Living End"(map29), But for multiplayer I like "Industrial Zone"(map 15) and "Downtown"(map13). You gotta do those maps with monsters on, with respawn. The Cyberdemon in the maps give the DM a twist.

+: It took me and my friends months to figure out, how to kill romeros head without idclip. This brings up a new question: How long took it each of you to kill him without cheating? [/B][/quote]Don't want to ofend you, but I beat the map in the same hour (or may be half hour) I first played it. It is quite obvious, the big wall has only one animated part, and there is a lift that raise in front of it.

That may be so, but the hard part is trying to determine the exact moment to fire the rockets so that they will go through that hole. It's easy now, but in the beginning, it was quite hard. TNT map 30 gave me fits until I realized that you had to shoot a little lower than usual.

mje said:

mmm you must have map07 confused with some other map mmm

No! I was indeed talkíng about map07 ("dead simple")

pretty weird memories of that, don't you think?
---------------------------------------------------
I can remember the day I figured out how to kill romero without cheating. I was at a friend's and was slowly beginning to realize that it had something to do with the brain. I tried shooting it a 1000 times with the plasma rifle and then I would save and noclip to the head and count the pistol shots that were left to kill it. I somehow came to the conclusion, that I did minimal damage with the plasma rifle (which was probably wrong) but it encouraged me to try it with the rocket launcher, with which I succeeded and drank champaine. ;)

Heh I think pistol damage is a little bit random so that was probably a very flawed experiment.

Heh, I completed map30 without cheating for the first time about a month ago or so :) The reason is that the first time I made it through Doom2 I was playing with Zdoom with mouselook on and didn't feel like turning it off just because os some boring boss. Nowadays I'm playing without mouselook.

EDIT: The favourite map? Those made by American Mcgee are propably the best, though I don't like most of Doom2 maps at all.

Maps 03, 04, 06, 11, 14, 15 and 29 are really good. The rest looked like they were slapped together by a bunch of 5 year olds.