• 3 years
    • 4 years
    • 5 years
    • 6 years
    • 7 years
    • 8 years
    • 9 years
    • 10+ years

I remember when my Dad got it back in 93-94, but he wouldn't let me play it for a while. I think 1996 is when I first started playing and when I really got into it.

I'd get a lawyer but I don't have the money. Looks like you'll slip by, son.

first played it when it was released on a friends comp... was pretty obsessed by it, played it whenever I could when I was round, finally the SNES version was released and I've been playing it non-stop through it's various (SNES < PSX < PC) incarnations

Never really been into user made wads. I just keep on playing the original game over and over again.

People's 'memories' of the first time they played doom are so far off. I didn't think Doom made it to the SNES until '96.

I can't really remember exactly when I first played it. Before Doom 2 so sometime in '93/'94. Though I doubt it was 93 as it was only out in the last few weeks of the year. I remember a friend had it and I didn't even own a PC at the time. Managed to con my parents into getting one soon after though ...

I first played it on the PSX, and that was when it was new for PSX, so that would make it nine years ago.

I first heard about it and played it in 5th grade. Given that I'm in my 2nd college year now, i think that puts me around 9 or 10 years. I know it was new back then, but I didn't have a computer so my friend showed it to me on his. Outside of that, I have no idea what my first experience was like. All I know was that I had seen Wolf3d first.

Been playing it for almost 7 years now, since I was 7.
EDIT : Or 6, I forget which.

First played it in early '97, when DooM was already 4 years old.
First editor ever used was WadAuthor, first user-made map released in '99.
Moved to DoomBuilder in '03. I know this is all irrelevant, I just
felt like shedding some light on my life as a dumbass.

i remember when i was only 3 years old and my dad was always letting me use his uber fast 486/66 to play doom. Then I got addicted and i'd never stop playing so he eventually built me a 386, then i became a game addict after that :)

I started in 95, but my friend lost his copy so there was a big gap in time. Didn't get another chance until 2000. :(

Heh, I remember when my dad bought Doom for the Sega 32-X. :D Eventually, I took over and became better than Dad at it. I forget how many years ago that was.

7 years. I think.

Close to that anyway. I was very young at the time and normally got my moms, cousins husband to play it for me.
Or I watched the demos. (I was very scared.)

I saw it first on a friends computer. V1.1 was just out.
I was pretty amazed when I first saw, what was possible with PWAD's. There were about 20 wad files on a magazine diskette. Most of them couldn't be finished due to bugs. It appears like randomly thrown together maps stripped of custom graphics, and some completely messed due to the vertex reference bug which was present in an old port of deu, I saw once. Also episodes couldn't be played through due to inappropriate usage of secret exits. The bastards didn't even bother including the text files which come with the wad files.
But still, there were some well desinged maps with them, considering the tight limits back then.

i've been playing doom for just over 10 years... at the moment i play it with jDoom. Doom is just one of those games that i don't think i'll ever get bored of.

7 years. First took an interest when looking at a review of doom64 and 1st played it on my friend's Snes.

I haven't looked back as they say.

Like many others, the first time was on the SNES. At the time, I thought it was just another SNES game, although it was quite fun. Then I bought it for the PC around 1996.

SNES Doom -> PC Doom
as
A nice photo of the Grand Canyon -> seeing the Grand Canyon firsthand

Torn said:

Summer 1996. :)

Ditto. I just got my first PC and one of my dad's students brought his laptop and copied a lot of cool games to my PC, among which where DOOM and DOOM2.

It's about 9 years now. It was in early '95, when I first played it on a friend's pc. I would visit him regularly, just to play doom & Wolf3d, until in summer of '95 I finally got my own pc.

My dad got it something like 10 days after it's release. I used to watch him on it when my mum went out to play darts adn I got my first shot about 5 or 6 months later. I forget how old I was and I can't be bothered to do the math.
No body probably cares anyway.
I'll just shut up now