Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
nycgamer

How do you think DOOM 3 will compete with Far Cry, STALKER, Hl2, Painkiller, etc.?

Visual and immersive realism... it's the main reason I play games. Of course I haven't played STALKER or HL2 yet because they're not out, but graphically and in terms of realism, I'm pretty confident both will be amazing based on what I've seen thus far. I HAVE played Far Cry, Call of Duty and Painkiller and graphically I have a hard time imagining that DOOM 3 will be able to match them, let alone surpass their visual splendor. The screens I've seen are wicked, but still ~ will DOOM 3 have the marvelous outdoor environments, great physics and immersive quality of gameplay that these other games do?

the thing is, this isn't really a valid point....not in my opinion anyways.

id Software games have always been in a class of their own IMO.

They always have offered a level of depth, character, gameplay and ambience that has kept me coming back for more and more, even years after the release.

I still put DOOM ahead of newer games like Half-Life (even though I must admit, I played Half-Life for 2 weeks without even touching id Software stuff, but I always came running back to DOOM)

I think DOOM3 and other games will be like the age old argument of Mac vs. PC

They're both good, but they both have advantages and caveats from each point of view. From what I've read DOOM3 will be more graphically orientated and relies on immersive environments - what we've come to expect from the original (and still best) DOOM/DOOM II. However, AI seems to have been left at the same stage as Q3A (from what I've read, i'm not sure how true it all is, mind you) and obviously games like Half-Life 2 will beat DOOM3 out of the water for it's AI capabilities.

Outside environments? That's not the DOOM style. What do you remember most about DOOM? I can guarantee that most people will remember and praise the originals for the claustrophobic atmosphere. DOOM3 seems to be sticking with that (thankfully!).

Anyways, that's all I can think of to say on this subject.

I think that DOOM3 will be among others as being one of the best games of this decade, just as DOOM still owns one of the highest positions in the best game of the 90's

>>>>>What do you remember most about DOOM? I can guarantee that most people will remember and praise the originals for the claustrophobic atmosphere.<<<<<<<

Not really. After playing Wolfenstien and Blake Stone's single flat floor by floor levels, I was amazed with Doom's multifloor levels, and outdoor areas.

>>>>>I HAVE played Far Cry, Call of Duty and Painkiller and graphically I have a hard time imagining that DOOM 3 will be able to match them, let alone surpass their visual splendor.<<<<<<<

Call of Duty does not have good graphics.... As for the rest, they defintely look nice, but they don't compare to Doom 3. Right now, I'd say Doom 3 is the best looking with HL2 in a close 2nd.

Gameplay wise, we will have to wait and see what Doom 3 offers. We already know Far Cry is very Half Life like, and Painkiller is more similar to Doom 1 and 2. Honestly I'm not sure why you would put Call of Duty here, it really doesn't compare.

>lengis

yeh i know that part, but what I mean is that by todays standards, that feat alone isn't usually what draws people back to DOOM.....the atmosphere and the feeling of the levels is the thing that usually brings people back to DOOM.

i know for a fact that it was the case for me.

Painkiller is more similar to Serious Sam and arcade shoot-em-ups like Galaga. Not even remotely close to the original Doom.

I would say Far Cry has way better graphics than HL2 has demonstrated to this point.

Whether or not Doom 3 will be better (graphics or gameplay) than Far Cry is an interesting question.

>>>>Painkiller is more similar to Serious Sam and arcade shoot-em-ups like Galaga. Not even remotely close to the original Doom.

And Serious Sam is a throw back to Doom. Hordes of enemies, simple gameplay elements. You can deny it all you want, but both were modeled after Doom's simple gameplay.

Lengis said:

And Serious Sam is a throw back to Doom. Hordes of enemies, simple gameplay elements. You can deny it all you want, but both were modeled after Doom's simple gameplay.

Modeled after, perhaps, but badly so.

There are definite deficiencies in Far Cry's gameplay that I cannot easily imagine id creating, so I still have high hopes on Doom 3 beating out Far Cry on that account.

Lengis said:

>>>>Painkiller is more similar to Serious Sam and arcade shoot-em-ups like Galaga. Not even remotely close to the original Doom.

Doom's gameplay was elegantly simple, yes, but it had more variation than linear sequential battles.

And I bet you cannot name more than a handful of places in Doom where there were hordes of enemies. And as far as the scale of Serious Sam, none. In the context of our skill levels at the time of Doom, it had many more tense one-on-few battles where ammunition must be shepherded and doled out in small quantities.

All of these elements were combined together to make Doom what it was.

If Painkiller and Serious Sam were imitations, then poor and pale imitations they were.

Serious Sam: Way too "happy" looking, bland levels. If you're gonna imitate Doom, have some dark, gritty, unsettling levels and make the monsters look evil, frightening and cool.

Painkiller: Too linear, way too linear. Monsters suffer the same issue as Serious Sam's, but are mostly less retarded looking. It has mostly the right look in its levels though.

For the 666th time with tears in my eyes: Doom. Does. Not. Have. Hordes. Of. Monsters. Period.
The engine allows for hordes of monster, but only custom levels/wads make use of this feature. Even Doom 2 rarely had anything that could be considered "a horde" and nothing like PK or SS. I always base my comparisons on the official wads (doom.wad and doom2.wad). Doom had variation in its gameplay, neither PK nor SS have which is a huge flaw in both (enough for me to think that Doom 3 will own the souls of these two games just for that).

A successful imitation of Doom has:

- Unsettling, evil looking maps that are dark, scary and gritty.

- Monsters that are brilliant, satisfying to gun down, scary, evil looking and cool to just look at.

- Weapons which are really fine-tuned and are satisfying to shoot stuff with; you'd be surprised at how few FPS titles I think have accomplished that ("MoH:AA" accomplished that for most of the guns - sad that I hated so many other things about this title).

- Rewarding secrets.

- Awesome sound effects.

- frantic action (not necessarily hordes of monsters - there ARE other ways of making the action frantic).

- Lots of gameplay variation.

- Simplicity.

As for the topic itself: I've no idea, but I hope it's gonna blow 'em out of the water (only way it can be a true Doom game).

Well it does depend on your definition of horde, too :P

There is at least one place in Doom E1 where you face 30 monsters simultaneously and in Doom 2 you'll face up towards 70 or so.

Fredrik said:

Well it does depend on your definition of horde, too :P

There is at least one place in Doom E1 where you face 30 monsters simultaneously and in Doom 2 you'll face up towards 70 or so.

Ok, I'd better be fair and say that Doom 2 does have a few places where it throws "a horde" of monsters at you, but I'd hardly say that it throws "hordes of monsters" at you, implying that the hordes are not a constant 'nuisance' - they tend to show up once in a while and sometimes in situations where it would take you by surprise.

My point is that the whole "hordes in Doom" is blown out of proportion and overrated - it's certainly not frequent enough in the official games to be a "defining feature" of Doom (it is in many custom wads though, so it's a defining feature of the Doom engine :-P).

After playing Far Cry and looking at the most recent Doom3 material, I'm confident Doom3 will look better.

Shaviro said:

After playing Far Cry and looking at the most recent Doom3 material, I'm confident Doom3 will look better.

Even the early material, imho. Far Cry was good but it was mostly the beauty of the water for me. Doom 3 will not be in the jungle, I think its safe to say. Doom 3 looks the best, and as id's most ambitious work, will do well.

Heh, Scabbed. I was just thinking today about how Far Cry looked so much less impressive when the water wasn't in view.

I can't think of anywhere in Doom2 where you have a marauding horde of about 70 enemies..... except for map 30 of course.

Arioch said:

There are definite deficiencies in Far Cry's gameplay

I'm curious as to what, but only because its my type of game. What didnt you like about it?

Fredrik said:

MAP16.

Heh, I haven't played vanilla Doom2 in years - and yeah, just booted it up and found a veritable horde of monsters.

Arioch said:

If Painkiller and Serious Sam were imitations, then poor and pale imitations they were.

*shrugs* That's subjective. I've never played either game to be honest, but I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed both games very well. If you didn't, then..... meh.

Lengis said:

*shrugs* That's subjective. I've never played either game to be honest, but I'm sure a lot of people enjoyed both games very well. If you didn't, then..... meh.

Did I link these games' similarity to Doom to their enjoyment value?

(Note: I didn't like Painkiller, and I didn't like Serious Sam all that much. But even if I did I wouldn't have linked them to Doom.)

Arioch said:

Did I link these games' similarity to Doom to their enjoyment value?

(Note: I didn't like Painkiller, and I didn't like Serious Sam all that much. But even if I did I wouldn't have linked them to Doom.)

What's your point? You can sing they are not like doom all you want, but the fact remains that most people who played those games noticed a distinct similarity with Doom. Nuff said.

I think doom3 will just compete best out of the other games. I mean Doom is like 1 of the oldest and it revolutionized the fps genre and doom3 will come back and revolutionize again the fps genre with its outstanding graphics engine. Plus it's also and ID game.

Lengis said:

What's your point? You can sing they are not like doom all you want, but the fact remains that most people who played those games noticed a distinct similarity with Doom. Nuff said.

Most people are stupid.

Fredrik said:

Most people are stupid.

And an eye for subtlety isn't often something they are over-endowed with either.

chilvence said:

I'm curious as to what, but only because its my type of game. What didnt you like about it?

• Checkpoints.
  • Can't use weapons while on ladder.
  • Checkpoints.
  • Corollary to above: Ladders too sensitive.
  • Checkpoints.
  • One-hit-kill enemies.
  • Checkpoints.
  • Broken AI: running in place, inability to deal with ladders, shooting rockets in close quarters trying to get the player, etc.
  • Checkpoints.
  • Grenade pick-up antoswitch, wtf?
  • Did I mention checkpoints?
All that aside, a more compelling game I haven't played in a while. Even if it's insanely hard at parts. Insanely repetitively hard. Because of checkpoints.

Fair enough.

I dont really mind the checkpoints, because you can kind of predict when the next one will appear and play extra safe.

My only complaint is the big lugs that dont go down until youve emptied 2 submachinegun clips and a dozen shotgun shells into their face... and which dont blink when you hit them with an anti tank rocket.

HOnestly, I dont know what some of you think, but i believe doom 3 will be the best looking + best optimized in terms of graphics and in Gameplay...well It looks absolutely stunning.

Sure Far Cry looks great but it bogs down my nice system @ 1024
I doubt Carmacks engine which looks better will bog it down.

Those are just my views on Doom 3.