Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
timmie

ZDoomGL 0.75 released

heh, crosspost from the other forum ;)

Ok, I also uploaded the demo map I had been working on, but never finished. I'm not a mapper, so I just ran into mappers block, I guess! Anyway, there's a bunch of shader examples in there (the SHADERS lump) along with some in-wad hires texture definition examples (HIRESTEX lump).

In the HIRESTEX definitions, you'll notice that some textures use the "force32bit" keyword. This forces ZDoomGL to use them as 32 bit textures internally. Basically, it forces the RGBA8 format and ignores the gl_texture_format cvar. The two textures that use this are gradiated mask textures that need the full 8-bit alpha channel. Any textures defined in this lump can be used in the shaders but not on their own.

Oh yeah, there's two kind of definitions, as well. "define" and "remap". "define" makes a new texture with this format: "define TEXNAME [force32bit] <width> <height>". "remap" just remaps an existing texture to a lump: "remap OLDTEX NEWTEX" (useful for including hires textures in your wad).

You can grab the map (and a music wad with some Front Line Assembly if you want) here: http://timmie.squabble.org/demo/

Oh yeah, the mp3 in that music lump is completely legal, btw, since I got it for free off their site (frontlineassembly.com) :)

timmie said:

Oh yeah, the mp3 in that music lump is completely legal, btw, since I got it for free off their site (frontlineassembly.com) :)

Except that frontlineassembly.com is just a Delerium fan site, and a bad one at that (MindPhaser is where it's at). What song is it, Providence? (I can't check right now) I don't think they or Metropolis would really care, but still, I very much doubt it's completely legal.

I've never tried it before and I love it! There are a couple of problems I'm having, though...
I can't get it to work in 1024x768, which ZDoom and Legacy will work in, with Legacy in OpenGL mode. The only thing that could be causing this is that ZDoomGL is trying to work at a framerate is too high for my monitor, because I switch it to anything higher than 720x576 and the screen goes black. At least, thats what causes that on my desktop.
Also, how do you turn off the blurry particles?

Try setting the "gl_vid_refresh" cvar to "60" in the ini file (no quotes, of course). That will force it to use a refresh rate of 60hz, which works with pretty much any resolution your monitor would support. You can change that number if you know the resolution you want to run at supports, say, 85hz or something.

timmie said:

Try setting the "gl_vid_refresh" cvar to "60" in the ini file (no quotes, of course).

Yay, it worked! Thanks a million!

Very nice work Timmie, I'm lovin it so far.

One thing I noticed though with the shaders is that there is a sudden "flip" when using the env_map. Can this be solved?

Actually, I think that's from the shitty environment map I'm using. It's not a proper sphere map, so it doesn't look the greatest all the time when used for sphere mapping. One day I'll track down a nicer image :)