Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Nemephosis

Recommend some megawads JDoom compatible?

So I have about half a dozen megawads, blown through most of them now. I tried Phocas but JDoom crashes on it and so I tried ZDoom. I can't even start ZDoom without an error.

so:

1. What can I use to play Phocas?

2. WHat are some of the best (and worst) megawads for Doom 2 out there?

thanks.

Nemephosis said:

2. WHat are some of the best (and worst) megawads for Doom 2 out there?

Most megawads that require no specific port should run OK with jDoom. This includes all of the old classics and many of the newers ones too (e.g. Scythe, HR2, Alien Vendetta).

Maybe some visual effects won't work quite right with jDoom, but on the whole any such problems will be quite minor.

You can do a forum search (like this one or this one) to find out how people have responded in the past when asked about their favourite megawads.

Look in the text-file before playing a wad with jDoom. If it says it requires a different port, or that it uses Boom features, it will most likely not work right with jDoom.

Nemephosis said:

Recommend some megawads JDoom compatible?

Basically anything that's vanilla-compatible or made for a source port in general (ie. vanilla format but with no engine limits) - but doesn't have see-through doors (it can't render them) or traps that consist of one sector that starts with the floor and ceiling at the same height and raises or lowers to open (if they contain monsters they won't go off).