Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bashe

Arachnophobia!

Who here has a fear of spiders?

Now personally, I don't have a huge fear of spiders, but when I see one, I will keep my eye on it just to see where its going in my room. I wouldn't want it to touch me.

Okay, I have a slight fear, but if the area where its at is big, there is no problem.

I like capturing (usually wounding) flies or other insects and tossing them into large spiderwebs and just watch the spider have its fun.

Ichor said:
I like capturing (usually wounding) flies or other insects and tossing them into large spiderwebs and just watch the spider have its fun.

My brother once took the wings off a flie and watched it try to fly away (which only resulted in it hopping like a grasshopper) how he did not kill it in the process remains a mystery for me.

I can't stand them. I still have to go get someone (almost always my mom) to kill it for me and get rid of it. I get all tense when I'm around one and can't concentrate on other things.

Mine is about the same as yours. However, usually I realize that it's irrational and just don't care.

Oh god I hate spiders. I hope they die. They're like 400 million years old too.

It's an on and off thing for me. In video games they always scare the hell of out me (System Shock 2! OMFG!). IRL, sometimes I do weird things like kneels down and reach reeeeeally far trying not to get close to them, with a lighter in my hand to burn them with. My room smells like chicken afterward, but no more spider... Ugh, there's this popping noise, too, but I don't know what else to do because sometimes I am afraid of them and sometimes I'm not. Dunno, guess it's dependent on ever-changing chemistry.

I'm not too keen to them. I like looking at pictures of them, but I don't like being in the same room as one. Also, I'm not afraid of jumping spiders at all and tarantulas look rather cute. On the other hand, wolf spiders and cobweb spiders creep the Hell out of me. It's even worse that both types frequently attempt to inhabit my house and then proceed to grow to unnatural sizes. EEW

Bashe said:

Now personally, I don't have a huge fear of spiders, but when I see one, I will keep my eye on it just to see where its going in my room. I wouldn't want it to touch me.

Okay, I have a slight fear, but if the area where its at is big, there is no problem.

Me too. If one is near me, I am scared of it, especially if there is no other way to go, and the thought of my room being infested doesn't rest well in my head. :D I think they are cool and have played with them a lot in my years, but, I am scared of them. :D But Trantulus is cool. :D

Oddly, I'm not comfortable around spiders EXCEPT for Daddy Longlegs. Those spiders look fucking awesome. I'll just let it crawl all over me. Those little red dots with the big long sticks for legs-- neat. Supposedly their vemon can paralyze a human or stop his heart, but the teeth aren't long enough to pierce flesh. I suppose if it chewed away at the skin for a while, maybe it could get a good jab in...

EDIT: Tarantulas are fun, too. Their venom isn't much more dangerous than a bee sting, and they make great pets. You can put it out on a leash and it'll hunt cockroach nests for you.

False

It doesnt talk about the arachnid you're talking about (the harvester) -- which is also what I call a daddy longlegs as well -- but I read it on another site about spiders.

Also, I guess the proper term for cobweb spiders is Long-Legged Cellar Spider

Fun times.

I feel like mentioning that my mild fear of various insects has nothing to do with them hurting me. It's a fear of me hurting them. I hate the idea of an insect crawling inside my clothes where I can unknowingly squash it or send it into a panic.

Danarchy said:

False

It doesnt talk about the arachnid you're talking about (the harvester)(snip)

So... you contradicted me with a website that specifically claims no conclusion had been made? Fantastic. I said "supposedly", anyway. I take that from other insects that paralyze their prey much in the same way this spider does-- other insects whose venom is known to be deadly for most small animals.

Ever heard of a "Cicada Killer"? It looks like a yellowjacket, except the stripes are red-ish. People who have been stung by them remember the pain was crippling(including an old childhood friend, who described it as "someone taking a hypodermic needle into your arm and injecting poison into it"-- well, duh).

AndrewB said:

I hate the idea of an insect crawling inside my clothes where I can unknowingly squash it or send it into a panic.

Heh, I once had a wasp crawl into my pants and sting me in the inside thigh when I sat on it. From that I developed a habit of tucking my pants into my boots.

I HATE spiders, the thought of a spider in the same room as where i am, can drive me nuts. I don't like seeing them, feeling them, suspecting them, or even thinking of them. I hate cobwebs too.

The world would be a better place without these usefull little creatures.

Hobo said:

I don't care for the small ones, but brown recluse freak me out. Huntsmen also scare me, thankfully they aren't found around here.

http://www.rochedalss.eq.edu.au/spiderphotos/img_1773_small.jpg
http://www.rochedalss.eq.edu.au/spiderphotos/img_1776_small.jpg

HATE THEM!!!

Numbermind said:

So... you contradicted me with a website that specifically claims no conclusion had been made? Fantastic. I said "supposedly", anyway. I take that from other insects that paralyze their prey much in the same way this spider does-- other insects whose venom is known to be deadly for most small animals.

What the fuck...I'm not trying to start an argument here. I was just tryng to inform you and the general public.

And I heard that daddy long legs eats mosquitos (never actually seen it happen though).

Numbermind said:

Oddly, I'm not comfortable around spiders EXCEPT for Daddy Longlegs. Those spiders look fucking awesome. I'll just let it crawl all over me. Those little red dots with the big long sticks for legs-- neat. Supposedly their vemon can paralyze a human or stop his heart, but the teeth aren't long enough to pierce flesh. I suppose if it chewed away at the skin for a while, maybe it could get a good jab in...

EDIT: Tarantulas are fun, too. Their venom isn't much more dangerous than a bee sting, and they make great pets. You can put it out on a leash and it'll hunt cockroach nests for you.

They aren't even spiders, are they?

No, a spider and a daddy long-legs has several physiological differences that are quite easy to spot. Firstly if you look at a spider you will see that it's body is divided into two clearly distinguished parts. The thorax and the abdomen. In comparison a daddy long-legs is little more than a sphere suspended upon eight thin legs. Also spiders have several sets of eyes while a daddy long-legs merely has two right on top of it's spherical body.

I vastly prefer daddy long-legs over craneflies by the way.
I mean, a cranefly is probably one of the least elegant creatures ever to grace this earth.

It's a large mosquito that doesn't suck blood. I can dig that. Mosquitos aren't ugly at a whole, mainly a bit annoying.

I can understand it having those long large legs allowing it to walk when not threatened and use it's atrophied wings in emergencies. Sorta like a chicken.
But have you ever seen a cranefly actually using those legs for anything? No, it merely hops around like a spastic feebly trying to get airborne with it's far too small wings.

At least it presents a healthy and easy-to catch meal for the elegant and beautiful spiders that grace our glorious world.

/me dodges

/me puts a spider down the back of Ichor's pants

AndrewB said:

It's a fear of me hurting them. I hate the idea of an insect crawling inside my clothes where I can unknowingly squash it or send it into a panic.

Funny, it's a fear of them hurting me. I hate the idea of an insect crawling inside my clothes where I can unknowingly make it really really pissed off by moving around and cause said insect to haul off and bite me really really hard, which causes me to go into a panic.

Another stupid insect is the Japanese Beetle. Those things fly around as if they were inflated balloons quickly losing air through the open end. They tend to smack into walls at full speed and end up falling behind some furniture and are never heard from again.

Oh yeah, I hate those things. They gots a nasty bite too.
Another insect I hate is the hornet. It takes around 1.5 seconds on average to get'em angry and when they do they'll keep sticking you with their damned stinger where they've got poison to poison you with or not.
Which leads to me another insect I hate with a passion, the yellowjacket. Let's just say I had a very bad experience with a nest full of them once and I've never liked them since.