Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
lupinx_resurrected

Phobos the marine

Im suprised no one had made a wad about Phobos(the evil doom marine in quake3 who is supposed to be like a dark replica of the good doom marine). I think Phobos is superb, since after all he is doomguy's rival nemesis made by id. It would have ben cool to see him in a game other than the multiplayer Quake3.

Draconio said:
I always thought Phobos was supposed to be merely shellshocked, rather than evil?

Well the fact that he led the demon invasion on phobos makes him sound evil to me. Plus he is always saying things like: "your fear of death will be your down fall" and you fight him in the house of pain.

lupinx_resurrected said:

Im suprised no one had made a wad about Phobos(the evil doom marine in quake3 who is supposed to be like a dark replica of the good doom marine).

What? I never gathered that from the plot.

Probably because the game had no plot, or depth...or anything that held my interest.

The fact that the "normal" marine was called "DOOM" in Q3 was especially retarded. Sheesh... It would be better if they called him "Flynn Faggart" or whatever it was.

All that gave Quake 3 a comic book flavor.

dr_st said:

The fact that the "normal" marine was called "DOOM" in Q3 was especially retarded. Sheesh... It would be better if they called him "Flynn Faggart" or whatever it was.

One word: no.

Intel17 said:

Flynn Taggart? No i think the name "Doom" is better. In Q3 they shoulda put BJ Blazkowicz.

I said "Flynn Faggart".

lupinx_resurrected said:

Well the fact that he led the demon invasion on phobos makes him sound evil to me. Plus he is always saying things like: "your fear of death will be your down fall" and you fight him in the house of pain.

I may be mistaking but as I recall he was betrayed by his superiors.. Who was that?
Also, some of his chat strings, such as "With some one like You we could take on those yellow-bellies" (Mancubi?) state he was somewhat against the demons.

There was no WAD about Phobos? Bah, make one :-P

Yeah, I think a wad about Phobos is a good idea. I must have been misinterpreting the instruction book's description of him...

He was a bad guy?

In that case, perhaps an episode 1 style wad about him and the events leading to his demon possession would be a cool idea.

Nmn said:

I may be mistaking but as I recall he was betrayed by his superiors.. Who was that?
Also, some of his chat strings, such as "With some one like You we could take on those yellow-bellies" (Mancubi?) state he was somewhat against the demons.

There was no WAD about Phobos? Bah, make one :-P

"Yellow-bellies" is usually a term given to cowards and weaklings when used in that context.

I always figured Phobos was one of the Commanding Officers of the marines that fought the demons during the invasion, but unlike Doomguy, he didn't go on to blow them up, he just got lost in Hell or something. And with him being lost in Hell and wandering around killing demons, the makers of the Arena place that you fight in in Quake 3 decided that he would be a worthy opponent. Or something.

Direct from the manual
-----
Phobos (Human): An experienced veteran, he led the invasion of the demon-haunted tunnels of Phobos. There, he was betrayed by superiors who thought they could learn more from watching him die than by studying his reports.
-----
He is just another marine.
And I don't see nothing wrong in call the main marine Doom, they never say that that is his name, it's just like a nick name. The same goes for Crash.
Calling the Quake 2 marines "Quake 2", that should be retarded.

Vegeta said:
Direct from the manual
-----
Phobos (Human): An experienced veteran, he led the invasion of the demon-haunted tunnels of Phobos.

I would not think that humans in comparison to demons would be noted as "invading".

No, he was transported to the Arena before he died. That's how that whole thing works. He would have been, though, had not the Arena Makers rescued him from his fate.

You must admit he brilliantly said that to keep this thread from being in the wrong Forum.

Vegeta said:
Calling the Quake 2 marines "Quake 2", that should be retarded.

What about Quake Jr.?

geekmarine said:

No, he was transported to the Arena before he died. That's how that whole thing works. He would have been, though, had not the Arena Makers rescued him from his fate.

Hehe.

Geekmarine is just joking though. I've seen him, nothing special. If you warp to E3M4, look in that disturbing and weird place with the Barons Of Hell. Or was it E2M4..........................

Phobos led the invasion to the demon haunted tunnels, not the invasion of the demons to the base. He led the marines in the attack to the base invaded by the demons. I don't think that Phobos is what we can call Doom's (the character) rival, unless you think that both fight in the arenas to prove who's the best.

I think Phobos in DOOM (the game), should apear as a scripted marine (coloured, with some extra health, speed, and a plasma gun) fighting on your side against an horde of demons, then being killed, and reapear in another map (in the same wad) as a strong possesed human that fight against you (not necesary the final boss of the wad).

Phobos... I was in QIII arena always half-dead already in maps where's 1 on 1 with anyone, like Uriel, Hunter and Phobos. So he was hard. And actually, hes name sounds weird to me... I wonder why he was named as phobos after all?

myk said:

You must admit he brilliantly said that to keep this thread from being in the wrong Forum.What about Quake Jr.?

I think that's Tank Jr.

Tuomittu Hydralisk said:

Phobos... I was in QIII arena always half-dead already in maps where's 1 on 1 with anyone, like Uriel, Hunter and Phobos. So he was hard. And actually, hes name sounds weird to me... I wonder why he was named as phobos after all?

Seeing as how it is a skin for the Doom player model, could it maybe be because Phobos is where a good deal of DOOM takes place? :)