Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Khaoscythe

What's your favorite DOOM 64 level?

Kratt1313 said:

If I could remember I would say but all I know is it's the one with all of the Mancubus's and Arachnatron's along with that CyberDemon

That would be The Playground ;)

Cat and Mouse was hella scary. Anyways, I can't remember my favorite map since I haven't played in a long time, but Dark Citadel always stood out to me because of the music.

iori said:

All doom64 weapons > vanilla weapons.
Who the hell cares if the SS didnt have reload frames? It's the only one of the shotguns that really needs them (there are other variants of the regular shotgun that arent pump-action). And when the weapons look and perform better than the doom ones in most aspects, then why not like the 64 ones better.

Puny sounds. And the shotguns and plasma rifle lose some punch without the reloads, I find.

I did think the BFG and Unmaker looked real good though. Shame about the sound of the latter.

Puny sounds? Ok, the chaingun for example? The original one sounds like a toy compared to the 64 one, imo. Also the vanilla SSG has a funny reload sound. The only exception is the shotgun, which has an awesome sound. Even the pistol sounds better, its sharp bark cutting through the darkness. I agree that the plasma gun in vanilla does feel more powerful, though.

iori said:

Puny sounds? Ok, the chaingun for example? The original one sounds like a toy compared to the 64 one, imo. Also the vanilla SSG has a funny reload sound. The only exception is the shotgun, which has an awesome sound. Even the pistol sounds better, its sharp bark cutting through the darkness. I agree that the plasma gun in vanilla does feel more powerful, though.

The doom64 pistol and chaingun sounds reach the ear in a manner which suggests that the sounds were recorded through 3 layers of pillow.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

The doom64 pistol and chaingun sounds reach the ear in a manner which suggests that the sounds were recorded through 3 layers of pillow.

I have to agree with you here. They truly did sound muffled in some manner; however, it was nice to hear something a little different from the original even if it sounded odd.

As for my favorite level of Doom64...it would have to be Dark Citadel of course.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

And the original pistol and chaingun sound like a small pellet gun.

Melfice said:

And the original pistol and chaingun sound like a small pellet gun.

Even a pelletgun is better than recordings from a pillowfight.

Hooboy...favorite level.... can't narrow to one but I would say Holding Area (MAP04), Final Outpost (MAP08), and Altar of Pain (MAP12) probably in that order.

The sound for the chaingun kicked ass...and the way that it made the screen shake with each shot...kick ass!

SSG is sick in 64 with fast reload and all...
Plasma Gun in 64 sucks compared to the vanilla version which says zzzrackkk with each blast!!
The double chainsaw was kinda sick in it's own right!
BFG was lame!!
The Laser Gun...now I have triple the pleasure...triple the fun...BWAHAHAHA!! Pentagram was a nice touch...shoom shoom shoom!!

But the best weapon of all...THE FIST!! Try beating Cat and Mouse with JUST THE FIST!! Unrulingly difficult...but it has been done!! And satisfying it was...heh heh!!

Can someone tell me what's that one level where in the starting room two ceiling sections come down and pump Revenant rockets at you all day...having you hide behind pillars...now if only Revenants were in that game...what would you think...?

Khaoscythe said:

Can someone tell me what's that one level where in the starting room two ceiling sections come down and pump Revenant rockets at you all day...having you hide behind pillars...now if only Revenants were in that game...what would you think...?

That would be Dark Entries. Unfortunately cart space limited what could be included in the game so some monsters (like the revenants, arch viles, ect.) had to be cut. Same goes for the SShotgun reload frames, although it is no quicker than in the PC version.

Edit: Also, there is a homing missle shooter in the first room of that level on the hardest difficulty, preventing you from cheaping the trap!

My all-time favorite was Breakdown. The one neat effect that I noticed for the first time on that level was the use of self-referencing sectors to create the illusion of a 3D bridge, and I was able to take in the true darkness of Doom 64's atmosphere on that map. My 2nd fave was definitely Blood Keep, what with the "demented-mansion" look.

Breakdown just also happens to be the only map with the "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" texture and the "super-secret" that I'm sure none of you have ever found yet.

Darkhaven4 said:

My all-time favorite was Breakdown. The one neat effect that I noticed for the first time on that level was the use of self-referencing sectors to create the illusion of a 3D bridge, and I was able to take in the true darkness of Doom 64's atmosphere on that map. My 2nd fave was definitely Blood Keep, what with the "demented-mansion" look.

Breakdown just also happens to be the only map with the "I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS" texture and the "super-secret" that I'm sure none of you have ever found yet.

I agree, Breakdown was a great level. Probably my favorite aspect of it thuogh was the music that was put into it. It and it's brother as I call it, Pitfalls, had some of the creepiest music in the game.

No offence to anyone, but Breakdown has music that sounds like Native Indians having a pow-wow.

Darkhaven4 said:

it wasn't a self-referencing trick, its more of a transparent flat. Apparently it seems almost like something the Build engine would have...

Breakdown isn't the only map with the I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS texture (where did you find it anyways? heh)

A lot of maps has it (this texture is generated when a linedef is missing a texture) You can easily notice it on Eye of the Storm. You can also break the bridge at the start of Terror Core and can see those textures on the sides of the bridges.

If you're talking about the Super Secret Level32: Hectic it has been found...duh, just destoy all the barrels in the level except for the one at the high ledge at the start...blast that barrel last and dash thru the now open wall behind you...simple! Hectic still gets on my nerves though!

Deathman said:

Breakdown isn't the only map with the I SUCK AT MAKING MAPS texture (where did you find it anyways? heh)

A lot of maps has it (this texture is generated when a linedef is missing a texture) You can easily notice it on Eye of the Storm. You can also break the bridge at the start of Terror Core and can see those textures on the sides of the bridges.

How can you break the bridge in Terror Core? I havnt really experimented with it much. The most ive seen is that you can get close to the walls at an angle, and the wall breaks up showing sky
And yes darkhaven, where is the secret in Breakdown, or at least a hint please? I swear I have pressed every wall in that whole godforsaken level.

You can also break the sky in Eye of the Storm by going up to the highest part of the level near the beginning and turning slowly. Watch the bottom corners of the sky and you'll notice HOM where the mountains end.

Khaoscythe said:

If you're talking about the Super Secret Level32: Hectic it has been found...duh, just destoy all the barrels in the level except for the one at the high ledge at the start...blast that barrel last and dash thru the now open wall behind you...simple! Hectic still gets on my nerves though!

We all know about that one. We're talking about Breakdown here
(Read teh green text at teh bottom of this page)

CRAP CRAP CRAP. WHy didn't I see the the second page button?

Anyways, I liked Cat and Mouse.

iori said:

How can you break the bridge in Terror Core? I havnt really experimented with it much. The most ive seen is that you can get close to the walls at an angle, and the wall breaks up showing sky.

About that sky thingy, you can do that in Jdoom...or pretty much any gl port.

In Doom, there is this bug where if you move extremly fast, its a 50/100 chance that if you cross a trigger while at a high speed, the game won't notice that you triggered that line.

Same goes for Doom64, if you can move as fast as possible between the linedefs that triggers up/down on the bridge, you can miss a linedef that is suppose to lower when you get back outside.

Or to make things easier, enable a cheat that will give you all keys and go inside the center building while there is still monsters moving about, if you happen to get to the top while monsters are still underneath the bridge, the bridge will break.

In March I captured this map-11 screenshot from the N64, after running off the edge of the bridge. (Not much to look at, but it does show the bridge not looking like a bridge anymore. ;)
Both this bridge and its opposite-side counterpart got blocked off simultaneously, so I couldn't get back to the stairway leading up.
The body on top of the bridge was formerly below. Rockets fired at the side of the bridge explode, but bullets and pellets just vanish.

DooMBoy said:

Cat and Mouse

Agreed. D64 is so scary in some moments i have to stop playing, on a claustriphobic scale/survival scale. The environments are really the mood setter along with the ambience. I dont know what it is about D64 apart from other FPS games.