Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
Doomwolf

Exporting Maps!

I've used Doom Builder to make a map for Doom2. When it comes to exporting it to a playable wad, it doesnt work. There are no errors in the map, and I've fiddled around with the node builder but have had no avail.

So, I thought I'd try using WinDue to export them instead. WinDue sucessfully builds the wad for me, but it totalled up to 13mb! I noticed that WinDue added all the other Doom 2 levels into the wad, as well as my own. So... I have a wad with my level, and 31 other levels too.

Are there any ways to get around this?

Thanks!

Can you give some more information on what you exactly did to play your map from Doom Builder? Where did you click? What did you see?

Ok -

After creating my map, I did the following :-
1) Click 'File'
2) Click 'Export Map'
3) Type in a file name to export to, and click 'Save'

* Message Box Appears *

" The nodebuilder did not build the required structures. Please ensure you do not have any errors in your map! Your map will be saved without the nodes "

---
I can 'Test Play' the map using zDoom through Doom Builder, and it works fine. Exporting seems to be the problem.
---

I've looked at a few things in the Node Configuration pannel (By pressing F5 and clicking the Node tab) but I've had no luck.

In WinDue, it creates the wad file with 31 other original Doom 2 maps, making it total up to 13mb

Try making the Export Nodebuilder settings (bottom half of the Nodebuilder settings tab in Configuration) the same as the Quick Nodebuilder settings (upper part). This is not as it should be, but helps you testing. The Quick Nodebuilder settings are used for saving and testing and are meant to be set for highest speed. The Export Nodebuilder settings are used for Exporting and are meant to be set for highest accuracy/compression. If you found a nodebuilder that works for you, you can try changing the parameters in the Export Nodebuilder settings slightly to settings for more a accurate built.

ZenNode doesn't actually work when it comes to exporting (which I have just noticed. It says it had to be closed because of an error).

bsp-w32.exe seems to work though, and changing the perameters means it doesnt give me any really bad errors. The only message I get now is "NOTE: 54 sidedefs have been copied as a result of sidedefs compression."

I tried running the wad, and it still doesn't work for me.

ZenNode does work for exporting, but that nodebuilder isnt very stable. But if it doesnt crash, it builds very good nodes.

The message about the sidedefs decompression you get is because the Export function compresses the sidedefs so your wad is smaller, but when the editor reloads the map after nodebuilding, it has to decompress them in memory, otherwise you cant edit your map. Its just a note, nothing bad at all.

Upload your exported wad file and give me a link here, maybe I can see why it doesnt work.

Your map works perfectly.

You named your map lump "X", which is the short name used to refer to this map. So when you load your map in ZDoom, you must type "map X" in the console to start this map. The default map name which starts at the beginning for Doom2 is "MAP01".

Hmm, I'm kind of new to all this so please forgive me :/

I've tried running the map in Doom95 and jDoom and it didn't work. Are there any ways I can get it to run on these ports?

I especially want to host this wad on a zDaemon server so I can play it online (Kind of the reason i made it). If I try to join a server hosting the wad, I get a message from zDaemon telling me the wad should not be hosted, and to get rid of it!

Open your map in Doom Builder, press F2, rename the X to MAP01, click OK, then choose Save Into from the File menu and save your map to a new file name. Now you have the map as MAP01 and you can Export the map like you did before.

Thank you so much!!!!!

I've been pondering over this for ages, thanks a million for sorting this out for me!