Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

It's Shaderific!

Over at the brand spanking new ZDoomGL page (they left DW, sniff) you can pick up the latest copy of the openGL version of ZDoom (aptly named ZDoomGL, but you already knew that). Not only is it up to date with the current version of ZDoom (2.0.63 as of this writing) which includes support for new enemies, uncapped framerate, etc etc, but it also a nifty new shader system for textures and flats (shaders kinda blend one frame of animation into the next to make it smoother looking). Also timmie promises not to make us wait for eleven years (or months) between versions any more. Unless you have access to the super-secret betas of course. But you don't, so nyah, nyah! Also it occurred to me that we've been neglecting the plant kingdom, so here's a bunch of Venus fly traps. Watch those fingers!

We may be at mancubus.net now, but I still love ya, Cyb! Even if you are a Flames fan ;)

Schneelocke said:

I wish ZDoom and ZDoomGL would be re-integrated into one branch.

I have to agree here.

Schneelocke said:

I wish ZDoom and ZDoomGL would be re-integrated into one branch.

zdoomgl has a software renderer, and that's about the only difference between the two

Hmm.. Good job Timmie. I'll have to check this out in a little while, once I actually manage to get my computer up and working properly again :P

Anybody else's status bar stuck half way up the left hand side of the screen? Having only health and ammo visible looks correct.

AthlonXP 2800
Radeon 9800 Pro
1G ram
XP SP1

My status bar was stuck left but then I just exited and went back in. Then it was fixed.

Also, finally another port with duel joystick support.

doh, forgot to add that to the buglist, although it also happens in the software engine if you change resolutions (but not all the time). Probably something I broke along the way, though ;)

Szymanski said:

Anybody else's status bar stuck half way up the left hand side of the screen? Having only health and ammo visible looks correct.

AthlonXP 2800
Radeon 9800 Pro
1G ram
XP SP1

Heh, I did that at first, then I changed the scale status bar to no and back and that fixed it. Then I realized I don't use the staus bar anymore and set the screen size larger.

OH MY GOD LOOK AT THE AUTOMAP

That's the coolest thing I have ever seen in my life. It looks especially cool in 8bitdm :D :D :D :D :D

It still doesn't work that great (follow mode is completely broken and sometimes it doesn't line up that well), but it's good enough to give a general idea of what it's going to be like ;)

Hey, that shader demo was pretty cool. I think somebody should make a default set of shaders for the Doom(2) textures. Really, it's amazing.

Just tried it out, and I'm pretty impressed with some of the new features/fixes, especially the shaders and the automap thing (best evar!).

The only problem I've been able to find thus far is that sometimes the textures don't load up right when I first start the game (for example, in Doom 2 map01 half of the textures appear as sky until I die or restart the map).

Edit: Damn, those shaders look nice!

timmie said:

It still doesn't work that great (follow mode is completely broken and sometimes it doesn't line up that well), but it's good enough to give a general idea of what it's going to be like ;)

Heh well follow mode off has been broken in zdoom for years now IIRC.

It took my computer around five minutes to change to the 3x filter. But after that, it was amazing. Then it crashed on me, but that was the computers fault.

I noticed that the menu text looks funky or has parts missing if I switch video modes or swith from windowed to fullscreen. That and I get unusual pauses in gameplay with the 3x filter (which I decided to leave off since I don't like it).

I haven't tried the shader demo yet, but it sounds great that shaders are finally in Doom. It should help textures to look even better.

Are the hires textures for JDoom usable for ZDoomGL as well? If yes, how can I use them?

KoRn said:

It took my computer around five minutes to change to the 3x filter.

I noticed that, too. Also the intro sequence in Daedalus is very slow with that on. I guess the scaler isn't optimized, just like the original HQ scaler code available.
Btw. ScummVM features well optimized versions of HQ2X and HQ3X. Maybe ZDoomGL should use that code instead.
Also, I noticed missing pixels in the corners of flats and walls when the HQ scalers are on, mostly noticable with 2x since the resulting gaps then are bigger than in 3x and 4x. I can see parts of which is behind the wall or little HOM's (becomes yellow when the menu is on) in cases when there is nothing rendered behind it. For example, look over the corners of the computers in the gldemo.wad, or in E1M1, stand in front of the window and look at the floor/ceiling, you see white pixels of the sky and green blinking pixels of the nukage pool through it.

When using mipmapping, I get distant HOM's. There seems something wrong with that as well. Without mipmaping, ie. filter is set to nearest or to linear, it works fine.

Sometimes ZDoomGL hangs at startup just when the title screen should appear and I have to reset my computer. All the usual messages are there in the console, but nothing happens then. Fortunately, it does not happen very often.

Epyo said:

Heh well follow mode off has been broken in zdoom for years now IIRC.

what
Follow mode in ZDoom works perfectly for me.

What'd be good is if there was a key you could use to drop a weapon in co-op.

DooMBoy said:

what
Follow mode in ZDoom works perfectly for me.

nonononononono I said follow mode OFF ya doodlehead!

Well I just tried the latest version, and it rocks. Great job!

Does anyone else see messed up graphics with the blood decal option? I seem to be getting the blood decals drawn onto walls that aren't there, or decals that don't clip to walls correctly.

I've got a 900 MHz T-bird w/ a GeForce 2, running Windoze 2000. Nothing special.

udderdude said:

I seem to be getting the blood decals drawn onto walls that aren't there, or decals that don't clip to walls correctly.

Known bug.

Not a bad little program. I did find that TeamTNT's Eternal Doom seems to dislike it in some areas. This is evident when the textures become completely black. This also happened in Herian2.

I haven't thoroughly explored ZDoomGL, but did notice that point lighting is absent and Legacy, if I remember correctly, had it.