Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Draconio

The memory could not be "read".

lsass.exe - Application error
The instruction at "0x008ef878" referenced memory at "0x00000023". The memory could not be "read".

Click on OK to terminate the program
Click on CANCEL to debug the program

I first got this last night, now today it keeps popping up. Whichever button I press, the system forces a reboot. If I just leave the error box floating there, the computer seems to continue functioning normally.

WTF is going on?

It's a system-critical program. I am not sure as to what it's purpose is, but I'd say go to Microsoft's website and see if they have that particular file available for download. Be sure that you get any supplementary libraries required to run it as well.

Otherwise, re-install your operating system!

EDIT: After further examining your post, it seems like it could be a General Protection Fault error. If you installed anything recently, or rolled back/updated any driver, undo any changes you've made recently.

That is a segfault. It's using a non-pointer value as a pointer, since 0x23 is never a valid address for a Win32 program to access.

I reinstalled Windows (I'm on XP by the way) and it seemed fine for a little while, but now the same thing is happening again.

Check your CPU fan is working or not clogged, often weird mem errors can be due to overheating.

Either a BIOS problem or a really new exploit I removed myself from mine just about a minute ago.

Look for avserve.exe in the process list or the Windows folder.

Yeah, it's a worm. just got from work and we had a storm of calls regarding it earlier tonight.

I saw that avserve.exe process running on this machine a while ago and it was eating most of the CPU time and my connection. What the hell is it? Should I get rid of it?

Edit: NAV just identified that file as W32.Sasser.Worm and deleted it. You should as well.

Edit 2: I should've read Myk's post.

Edit 3: How the hell did I get it?

There's a nice exploit in lsass that you can take advantage of once the worm consumes about 1 GB of VM or so. Hence, the worm eats a nice chunk of your CPU as it pages this amount.