Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Refeuling base is so hard!

MY god! there's so many Pain in the ass elementals! I caught myself retreating like a scared soldier. I usually snipe and hide behing a wall most of the time on this one, but being spooked out of nowhere by a lost soul shot out by a pain elemental I killed earlier always kills me. Any strategy on this at all?

P.S. I noticed this level doesn't really "fit" in Doom2. It feels like the original doom in some ways. anyone else notice this?

Pain elementals aren't too tough to deal with. Just go right up to the pain elemental so that it can't spawn any lost souls - of course, keep firing at it while you do. Then, when it's about to die, back off so the explosion doesn't hurt you. This strategy usually works best when you have taken out all the enemies around the pain elemental.

P.S. I disagree. I find that it is one of the most Doom2ish levels.

And dom't forget the secret in the very beginning which will help a bit.

No. Pain Elementals do not have an attack of their own. You'll see that on the beginning of map 9 (The Pit). When there's enough Lost Souls on the map, they will not spawn anymore and become completely harmless.

Csonicgo said:

P.S. I noticed this level doesn't really "fit" in Doom2. It feels like the original doom in some ways. anyone else notice this?

I was under the impression Refuelling Base was originally designed around the time of the original Doom, but wasn't actually used until Doom2. So, not surprising it looks a bit Doom1-ish. Although maybe they left it out because they felt it didn't fit in so well, which kinda also makes it possibly more doom2-ish :P

I'm sure I read something about this somewhere on Doomworld once, but I've been tyring to find a link with no luck ...

Edit: Come to think of it, I think I remember playing an older version of the level in one of the Doom alphas.

Edit: Here it is

Csonicgo said:

This is because Tom Hall designed it for DOOM.

I wonder what happened to the other alpha maps which didn't make it to the first Doom. Map10 of Doom2 seems to be the only one appearing in an alpha version as far as I can recognise, merely some retexturing is done, and some secrets and the monsters were added.
In particular, I don't find E1M6, E1M10 and E1M11 of alpha 0.4 and E1M1 of alpha 0.5 in a full Doom game.
Also I wonder where the screenshot comes from, where they standing around a crate and playing cards. It's not the starting room in E1M1 of alpha 0.4 or E1M11 of alpha 0.5.

The screenshot may be a later version of the very rough E1M6 of v0.4, judging by the floor, walls, ceiling height and by the similar Player placement.

Job said:

Pain elementals aren't too tough to deal with. Just go right up to the pain elemental so that it can't spawn any lost souls - of course, keep firing at it while you do.

Yes I agree, just f**k it in a corner at point blank it with the SSG. You may also use the RL if you're quick (beware the launched ugly ones), or the PG or even the CG.

Combat Buckshot their annoying asses...then Chaingun the Souls...the room with all of the soldiers reminds me a bit of The Warrens in DOOM!! I wish that they remade that level with Revenants instead...dodging all day long...

Or if you're particularly daring, just allow that first one to launch enough Lost Souls to reach the limit (only around 5 or so). Then go around releasing all the others in that area with the green armor. You should be able to punch them with no worries and save a ton of ammo (if a Lost Soul dies, they may occasionally launch one, but that's better than a bunch of them annoying you).

I tried to record a demo, but after clearing out the first room with no hasle, I got pinned by a ravenant because a lost soul snuck up from behind removing my run like hell function. I'll try again later...

Beating the level is very quick and easy if you remember to pick up the yellow key and then get to the secret that takes you to the cyberdemon room. After that, the exit room is only a short jaunt away.

Yeah, but I want a MAX (or at least close to MAX) demo. I know it's sometimes suicidal going after the blue key BUT I DON'T CARE!

map10 is not hard when you know how to handle it.

The 1st pain in near the start, close to the sector with 4 specters, my tactic to kill is to rush him and stick to him so that he does not spawn souls and then finish him with SSG (2 pointblank shots).
If you are scared of the monsters around, use plasma or CG to get rid of them while staying out of view of the Pain elemental.

Then 4 of them are hidden in 2 secrets, the best is to trigger the line that releases them and blast em with one BFG shot right away (only EZ solution in Nightmare and -fast).

The 2 last pain elementals are with 2 revenants, you can :
- BFG rush them (2 shots)
- Keep rocketing to prevent skulls from coming to you (can be risky)
- water them with plasma :)
- use SSG : hide behind a wall, quickly get out and shoot, then hide right away, repeat that untill they are all dead.

One extremely gargatuan problem with this though. Were talking about a "pistol start", that means no Plazma, BFG, Rockets, or SSG until you find them later in the level... and that's no where near the Pain Elementals at the beginning.

pain elementals are so very annoying in huge hordes. They totally P**s me off. But I think they're so cute
And Cacs! They are the kings!!!!

Dont forget the secret shotgun near the start!, as you probably all already knew about

duncan said:

pain elementals are so very annoying in huge hordes. They totally P**s me off. But I think they're so cute

Cute? Some fat monster with one eye that shoots out freaky looking heads is cute?

Scary.

Ironically, this is the level I was stuck on too (I gave up like a week ago on it in frustration). However, today after dying and restarting a bunch of times and starting the level with absolutely no ammo because I depleted it fighting off the barons at the end of lvl 9 :(, I found that just staying around corners and taking care of the guys works as usual. I also use the chainsaw sometimes to conserve ammo. And instead of dealing with the big brunt of the force to the right side of the big main room, I stayed in that yellow key area with all the former humans and used that ammo on the mini spiderdemon thingies through the little passage to grab the blue key. At that point, just get back to the main room and book it to the yellow door, ignoring the enemies and you're home free. Well, unless the cyberdemon teleports in front of you. So watch out for that. Anyway, that strategy may or may not be really obvious to people.

I find the design of this map to be really interesting, though. You can definitely tell it's from the beta version because it doesn't really feel polished, at least visually. It seems like Sandy Peterson just slapped a crapload of monsters down onto one of the more incomplete Tom Hall levels (it is very bland compared to the episode 2 levels). Still, it's fun as hell and the layout is still interesting - which I guess says something about Hall's design. As far as I'm concerned, the guy is a damn genious.

this level is actually really easy. there is a trick to the level in the area with all the shotgun and zombie guys that warps you close to the exit. i didn't even touch or see the arachnotrons and elementals.

Csonicgo said:

MY god! there's so many Pain in the ass elementals! I caught myself retreating like a scared soldier. I usually snipe and hide behing a wall most of the time on this one, but being spooked out of nowhere by a lost soul shot out by a pain elemental I killed earlier always kills me. Any strategy on this at all?

Grab the secret stuff and don't go to the side area, head for the main outdoor area ahead - you'll kill many zombies (including some from the side area), thus getting a bit of ammo (including a chaingun) and some armour. When you reach the area at the top of the outdoor bit, bear in mind that a trap is set off when you try to leave it (apart from the way you came in). Once you've cleared that out, then go to the side area. Try and conserve bullets so you can use them on the pain elementals (which go down easy with a chaingun).

Skeletor said:

this level is actually really easy. there is a trick to the level in the area with all the shotgun and zombie guys that warps you close to the exit. i didn't even touch or see the arachnotrons and elementals.

How did you get the keys, then?

Csonicgo said:

MY god! there's so many Pain in the ass elementals!

heh.
That level isn't that hard if you know what you are doing. Level 29 is much harder.

Lutrov71 said:

Level 29 is much harder.

That level isn't so hard if you know what you're doing. Hell Revealed level 32 is much harder.

During coop on this level, I did a speed run to the exit and watched the other people try to figure out where to go. I didn't want to exit the level because I did a speed run threw the prior levels and I wanted to let them play for a bit. I would have went and helped them, but I was stuck in the exit room.
Wonderful team player I am.