Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Aftershock_81

Nightmare Squad back under development

I've been gone for almost four years due to RL obstacles and a long affair with Morrowind, but I have come back to my first love: Doom. I have started updating Nightmare Squad with the intent of creating a more moddible resource engine for smaller projects. I am planning to restore the .exe to relatively original doom weapons and behavior, and provide a .wad with embedded bex style lump to implement the Nightmare Squad weapons. Does this sound interesting to other Doomers, and is the lack of newer Zdoom mapmaking features a problem?

For those interested in the old version:
Readme and file: doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=10728
Review: denvervideogames.tripod.com/gamershowto/id20.html

I loved the original, especially the flamethrower, nightvision, and the enhanced "hearing" AI. I'm looking forward to the next version.

Aftershock_81 said:

a long affair with Morrowind

I feel your pain...I truly do. There's a game that just never seems to leave the back of your mind.

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I love this thing. I hope that this gets updated to use the features of the newest ZDOOM. 1.22 is quite old, now. :P

So...uh...is he still here? I fired up the old version with TVR for old times' sake, got the crap blasted out of me, and wished there was a new version out.

Aftershock, do you have a main website for your new Nightmare Squad?
I'm just asking if you have one because I want to see some screenies and/or WIP.

Still here. Work on the mod has been pretty slow lately due to a busy work schedule. Also, there is no homepage for the project at this time. When I have better a internet connection available, I will look at putting one together. Right now, I have the worst connection since the 2400 baud modem I had in '93 when Doom came out. (Anyone want to take a guess how long the download was? I don't want to remember...) Anyway, be patient. Right now, I am as always focused on the weapons and interaction features. I am redesigning the code so that a modified bex patch can define the damage, range, number of pellets, and spread for bullet/shotgun types; projectile spawned; or color, size, and spiral diameter for railgun/beam types. Essentially, all player weapons are being simplified to use the same code function for the firing frames, and the individual behaviors of the weapons are being defined by new parameters in the weapons list. This will allow the engine to be very quickly and easily modified to new weapons collections.