Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
cyber-menace

A Speed Challenge!

I prepose a challenge. I want to see who can complete DTCA Demo - Map 20 the fastest. Use the newest Zdoom to record your demo. If you die, please close Zdoom and try again from the start...

You can find the demo here!

Let's see who's the fastest at mass destruction.

Chart:

Name         |Speed         |Skill
_____________|______________|____________
Opulent      |32:24         |4
Opulent      |24:48         |1
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
Or for those of you that don't like cut-scenes, this wad is just the final battle and nothing else.

Get that wad file here.

Who can defeat the boss the fastest?

Chart:
Name         |Speed         |Skill
_____________|______________|____________
Opulent      |4:30          |4
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |
             |              |

well, how about an example demo?
zdoom, the cut scenes, mouselook, scripting, jumping, ... it is annoying to scope the map for a real run.
I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing in there. some
how about an example demo? Maybe I should see if mbf can play it first...

alright. I chumped through ITYTD at 24:48. http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/op2448.zip
no secrets though, so perhaps there is something I'm really missing. don't even consider watching unless your name is Cyber-menace, and even then, consider yourself forewarned.
UV looks very tedious... perhaps if I tweaked the autoaim a bit.
pretty cool map.

Opulent said:

well, how about an example demo?
zdoom, the cut scenes, mouselook, scripting, jumping, ... it is annoying to scope the map for a real run.
I'm not even sure I'm doing the right thing in there. some
how about an example demo? Maybe I should see if mbf can play it first...

That's the only real problem with Zdoom only maps I find, the gameplay tends to slow a tad due to cutscenes and such so it makes demo making a little hard. I mainly made this thread to see how quickly people could take down the armies. I know it is difficult when you try to rush the armies, but it might be cool to see some expert doomers making this map look easy. I'll probably watch your demo too, when I have time.

lupinx_resurrected said:

This should be in the demos forum.

Ops... could a mod please move this thread?

Opulent said:

alright. I chumped through ITYTD at 24:48. http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/op2448.zip
no secrets though, so perhaps there is something I'm really missing. don't even consider watching unless your name is Cyber-menace, and even then, consider yourself forewarned.
UV looks very tedious... perhaps if I tweaked the autoaim a bit.
pretty cool map.

Oi, I guess you aren't all that skilled at Dooming... or maybe it is something else, but that wasn't a very good performance. Oh yes and there was a big problem with the demo. Like I said in my above post, if you die RESTART THE LEVEL. The game doesn't Autosave in demo mode, so when you died it restarted the level. (Watch your step next time!) If you can beat it on UV without dieing I'll consider you a pretty good doomer. It IS hard, but it can be done. (Yes UV IS very tedious. I put it at my skill level so it gives me a hard time on occasion).

As for the secrets. 2 items lower at the beginning of a group and they are considered secrets. Sometimes you will get them and they won't count though so be careful.

I noticed something however. You DID NOT find the BFG! It was clearly shown to you in a cut-scene, so if you headed to where it landed you would have been able to defeat the last enemy MUCH faster and you probably wouldn't have died running away from him. Good try though. Good luck next time. And if you want, try the other 3 maps, although MAP20 is BY FAR the best.

cyber-menace said:
Ops... could a mod please move this thread?

It doesn't matter, really, since it's both about a wad in particular, as well as demos for it. Such threads should be fine in either Forum.

cyber-menace said:

Oi, I guess you aren't all that skilled at Dooming... or maybe it is something else...

I think it is something else.

I'll probably record a demo myself once I find some time. I wonder if I can beat UV without dying. I have problems sometimes, but I might pull it off...

thanks Donce. :)
http://www.doomworld.com/sda/dwdemo/dtca20_uv_zdoom2063_opulent_boring_3224.zip
lot easier the second time through. no secrets.
the megacyb is nothing... the tiny ones are more of a threat.
The middle waves are way too easy.
Why doesn't Maurice fire his damn rockets at the beginning? heh
should have been keys you have to get from each area or something...
surprisingly very little slow down on my machine... I wouldn't try to run this on a 486 though.
good luck getting anyone else to compete...

Well is that still on I'm Too Young to Die? That would explain the difficulty. Now on Ultra Violence the middle waves aren't so bad, but they can be annoying. Oh yes... good luck with the boss on UV. I know the big enemy isn't very difficult, but the immense detail of the roof doesn't leave him any space to move.

Opulent said:

Why doesn't Maurice fire his damn rockets at the beginning?

Because I only added it in so you wouldn't have to hunt down EVERY LAST ENEMY! That would be FAR to annoying. He uses them when there are 20 or less monsters remaining.

cyber-menace said:

Oi, I guess you aren't all that skilled at Dooming... or maybe it is something else, but that wasn't a very good performance. Oh yes and there was a big problem with the demo. Like I said in my above post, if you die RESTART THE LEVEL. The game doesn't Autosave in demo mode, so when you died it restarted the level. (Watch your step next time!) If you can beat it on UV without dieing I'll consider you a pretty good doomer. It IS hard, but it can be done. (Yes UV IS very tedious. I put it at my skill level so it gives me a hard time on occasion).

As for the secrets. 2 items lower at the beginning of a group and they are considered secrets. Sometimes you will get them and they won't count though so be careful.

I noticed something however. You DID NOT find the BFG! It was clearly shown to you in a cut-scene, so if you headed to where it landed you would have been able to defeat the last enemy MUCH faster and you probably wouldn't have died running away from him. Good try though. Good luck next time. And if you want, try the other 3 maps, although MAP20 is BY FAR the best.

Back in the day, I remember Cyber-Menace making this level...And I feel it is my duty as a personal friend to point out even he has some problems with UV.

Moving on, I have tried this level, and much to say I never quite had the patience for it, I myself died a few times, but never made it a personal goal to beat it.

Hopefully that day will come...

But from then till now, it will continue to stump players. And cause players some major stress....If you can't handle it, go play Map02-04 (of DTCA), all with pistol starts, and once you can do that, you are truly ready.

Hahaha, yes I already admitted to having problems on UV,

(Yes UV IS very tedious. I put it at my skill level so it gives me a hard time on occasion)

but ONLY ON THE BOSS. The middle groups make a good warm up, but the difficulty jump from groups to boss is quite tremendous.

As for you idea of Maps 02-04. They are currently no longer available except on request, but those are my newb maps right now anyway. They are overstuffed with monsters and are nearly impossible without cheats on UV, only the truly skilled would be able to beat them... I think.

Charris I'm fully aware of how often you play games, so the chances of you improving at Doom enough in order to beat Map20 on UV is slim...

lupinx_resurrected said:

This should be in the demos forum.

indeed...

I'll have a look at it, if I upload a demo that means I liked it... if not, u already know :)

Zdoom maps is not that well suited for speedrunning. Plus your map have a big intro, etc... Also zdoom versions is not working with each other, at least not demos from the newest versions (You have to have the specfic version for play a demo made with the specfic version of zdoom).

Vince, I didn't know when I ran it that when only 20 monsters are alive, Maurice does his one-minute killall thing.
That would shorten a run a bit, with that knowledge.

Heh, I mentioned it a couple posts ago. My map should be run with the newest Zdoom so most demos should co-operate. This demo thread is mainly to see everyone's speed fighting skills. I know my intro gets in the way, but it says nothing about how fast they can take down the baddies. I'm a slow, stealthy, sniper type person so I'm not usually very good at speedruns myself anyway.

DEMOn said:

That would shorten a run a bit, with that knowledge.

Yes, it means that as soon as you get that message, you can start collecting items and run back to the central building ready for the next stage.

I still wouldn't regard this map as a speedrunner's dream though. :p Then again, my view might be somewhat jaded from having reviewed the original version of this map, where the earlier waves were far larger. A version where you just get the boss battle might be nicer for demos.

C-M: your table needs updating with Opulent's UV time.

Table updated... I didn't notice it was UV at first. Grazza, have you tried the newest version of the map? I'm sure Ultimate Doomer's review of it way back when should have told you I made some major changes. I might consider the boss battle thing though... in fact! I'm going to go get started on that right now!

I'll 1st try it with the zdoom I have (not the latest one).
Just to see if I like it.

Ok, but I warn you, it may not work/look right without 2.0.63.

EDIT: I have a special treat for all of you that want to just speed through this map. I have uploaded a new wad called dtca_20boss.wad that is the same map, except only with the boss battle. Maurice doesn't have ANYTHING to say in this map that involves a cut-scene. There still is a small maybe 20 second cutscene showing the BFG and the boss and that's it. The rest is up to you. I've added the link + table to the top of the page.

cyber-menace said:

Grazza, have you tried the newest version of the map?

Yes, I have; that's how I know that the earlier waves of monsters were far larger in the first version than in the second version.

If I wanted that I would release ALL of my maps and DEMAND to have demoes for them. I just like learning from other's demoes on how to:

A: Improve my level's difficulty in weaker spots if I want to

B: Help improve my own Dooming techniques

I WOULD just go to the archives for this, but I still want to see how to improve my maps on occasion.

EDIT: Wheeeeee 700th post!

if you want to know how to play Doom better, watch compet-n demos on maps suited to speedrunning, don't ask people to record demos for your weirdass super-size ZDoom map...