Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
SyntherAugustus

time to spend another 500 on an ati card

Hmmn... instead of posting a new thread about everyone's thoughts on graphics cards, let me do it here instead. What are your personal prefences either between ATI and Nvidia, or between the various cards of each brand. Should someone who wants D3 to run really really well wait and get the new Nvidias when it comes out, or get one of the current FX cards for less now?

AndrewB said:

Ripoff.

Agreed. I just got a R9800 Pro and I don't need to spend more money on the next gen for several years now.

Scabbed Angel said:

Hmmn... instead of posting a new thread about everyone's thoughts on graphics cards, let me do it here instead. What are your personal prefences either between ATI and Nvidia, or between the various cards of each brand. Should someone who wants D3 to run really really well wait and get the new Nvidias when it comes out, or get one of the current FX cards for less now?

I'd say, get a fx or xt...unless you have a lot of money lying around patiently waiting to get spent.

what kind of card do you have atm anyway?

I have a Radeon 9600 atm and it's plenty for now. I would never spend 500 of anything on a graphic card, except maybe yen or horse chestnuts.

I recently picked up a Radeon 9600xt for $136 and it's been treating me very well. I'll keep it for Doom III and a long while afterward, I think. Like Pritch said, $500 for a video card, any video card is absurd.

Scabbed Angel said:

Video cards suck.

Intel 82810 Graphics Controller forever!

Danarchy said:

Video cards suck.

Intel 82810 Graphics Controller forever!

Can that POS even do d3d? (it can do openGL, so it says). Wondering because thats what the school comp uses, and I wanna put Doom Builder on it... I opened up dxdiag to check for it and d3d was greyed-out. My Ati mach 64 w/ 2 megs vram can do basic d3d even (circa 1995 i think), but not the somewhat newish intel thing?

Heh, you lot are bitching about 500 for a video card, and those that are have 9xxx series cards anyway. HA! I laugh at you. Seriously, with those cards, upgrading to this card is pointless.

I, on the other hand need the upgrade. Time to ditch the GeForce 2Mx and move on to cards that can cope with details not set to minimum. You think 500 is bad? Guess how much I have to spend. $800. So stop bitching :P and I have to wait a few months before it arrives in australia anyway and it'll still be $800 bucks.

Oh, and for that genius stating rip off? Come on, at the speeds Graphics cards are changing now, your brand new card will still be capable in a few years. Hell. 97/9800 cards are still insanely powerful, and those cards are a few years old now. 9800 to x800 = stupid, Unless you've got that money to spend. GeForce 4 - x800? Yeah that's a good jump.

Actually I'm in the market for a GeForce 4 PCI right now. I have a Radeon 9800 Pro 256mb atm, and it's the best card I've ever had, but ATI has horrible Linux support, imo. At least I can get the nVidia Linux drivers to work, and they work well.

I might get a later X800XT card, though, like next year. Just kinda for the heck of it. I don't mind spending the money personally.

LorD BaZTArD said:

You think 500 is bad? Guess how much I have to spend. $800.

WTF? What card is priced at eight hundred dollars - and why the hell are you paying that much for it?

I'll tell you. I live in Australia. According to the currency system, One Aussie Dollar buys 72c american. Which means. Should I take $800 over to the states, I would end up with S550US. Now this should solve the problem, but no matter what the price of our dollar is, compared to the US dollar. It's expensive. A new game is $90. A new ATI/Nvidia = $800. In other words. Aussie geeks pay through the nose.

At least you don't live in Argentina. There, stuff costs about 5x more than it should, at least when it comes to computer stuff. Just ask Zaldron.

I'm perfectly happy with my FX 5950 Ultra.

When motherboards with 2 AGP Pro ports start popping up, and/or when the PCI Express mobos start shipping out, I'll probably get both a top-of-the-line ATI and top-of-the-line NVIDIA card, that way, I can play any game under either adapter and get the best of both worlds. Yay.

Graphics cars so far:

ati thingy + 3dfx voodoo1, great 2D and fast 3D
same ati thingy + 3dfx voodoo2, same but faster
nVidia TNT2 ultra + 3dfx voodoo2, fast in everthing even unreal
Geforce2 GTS, fast but poor image quality at >1024x768
Geforce 4 Ti4400, damn fast but even uglier at high res. runs hot and is pretty noisy (crap fan)
Radeon 9800 pro, very fast and I've escaped without any driver problems (so far). Good enough for DOOM3 and HL2.

I'd buy an nVidia card again now that they have improved the visual quality. It didn't matter when I was running glquake i'd just disconnect the pass through cable, but i'm more picky now.