Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Csonicgo

Heh, found a bug in slige

Yeah, I know, My slige topics are getting old, but I'm just surprised no one would want to continue the project and make it better. anyways.

If you run Slige with -doom command line, and -v command line, it takes longer to generate the map. this is expected, but while the extra data is printed, press Break and see what happens. it stops! do this multiple times, run the the map in BSP and then run it in doom. Crazy things happen. There will be so many monsters! I know there are some monsters in the start sector, but not so many that you CANNOT move! I got 50+ cacodemons in 6 rooms doing this! ALso, some crazy archetecture shows up too.
Weird!

well considering it is a random map generator. stuff like that will happen. i would like to know commands that cause odd things in slige

Funny. I still can't understand why people don't like this training program and not continue to develop it.

I think a large part of that may have to do with people like Woolie Wool giving the program a bad name by using it to generate maps and trying to pass them off as their own work.

Personally, I think it's an interesting program and wouldn't mind to see it improved. But I don't know how to code.

I don't see the point of the program, much less the point in a GOOD program of that sort.

Imagine SP maps generated so you don't know what's next, only not so squarish or newbie looking, THERE'S an idea :P

it could be done, here's an Idea on how I would do it...

make a few archetectural things, like, hexagonal room, snakey passsage, etc, and make their size and ceiling textures random.

Stay tuned for my SLIGE tribute megawad! Dedicated to the engine that perfected the "porch steps" look!

It is sure possible to improve it by implementing a lot of different architectures. Different pillars, doors, altars, windows... could be thousands of predefined structures which are resizable and retexturable.

Would take a lot of work to integrate that in the program.
Unless some people could make it able to browse thru a kind of "structures archive" which could be a separate file which would be updated regularly with new structures.

that's what i was thinking. pre-defined architecture, styles, and texture themes(or no theme). Then there would be some premade options like:

Make tech base map
Make gothic map
etc., and then there would be a custom one
that lets you mix from each kind of architecture and texture theme.
Also, a custom detail level and level size selector wold be good.

This would actually be great if made well- say you can't connect to the internet for the time being and you want a new SP map-presto. And for DM, it would be cool too.

Csonicgo said:
make a few archetectural things, like, hexagonal room, snakey passsage, etc, and make their size and ceiling textures random. [/B]

You stole that from the map idea generator!!!111

Heh, I remember when I hacked Dosdoom, Slige and BSP together so that it would generate a random level every time you played, getting theoretically harder and harder forever until you overflowed your memory. Kickass. I should do that with JDoom.

I got a Slige 2 from the zdoom forums, apparently it was modified, i just ran it with no special commands (because i forgot them all), and the levels it generated where quite fun (one is just crying out for modification and general release..), but then that could just be a coinicidence

That sound awesome. I was hoping/waiting for someone to pick up the SLIGE source and improve it. That would really be impressive to pull off. I can hardly wait for you to present a beta. :)

Ichor said:

Oh yeah, I forgot about this.

Hah

Perhaps a (rather dumb) random wad generator utlity could be made that takes sprites sets (randomizes them too, so you'll never know if you're going to fight against a freedoom pinky, a heretic lich or a strife acolyte, and cycling weapons too, so you'll never know if you'll start with a penis chainsaw, a dual chaingun akimbo, or a flamethrower plasma rifle, and the player sprites could be randomized from legacy/zdoom skins, with hteir sprites renamed appropriately to support all doom ports, so who knows, you could play megaman with a penis chainsaw taking on prostitutes in hell), picks mus's randomly and renames/inserts them at random, as well as shuffle a bunch of wav sets together and such. It could possibly spit out a random readme.txt with random storyline! Slige levels of course.

What am I saying, anyhoo. But a doubleclick away from generating a doom3001.wad would be rather, urm, fill boredness....

Oh, I forgot, titlescreen lumps would be generated by a few randomly selected gifs put on a random background. Who knows what'll appear when you start up? Ralphis with a shotgun in hand in a laundry room? The possibilities are endless. (when you shove thousands of "random wads" in the generator's appropriate folders)