Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shaviro

Two new screens in EGM magazine.

Two new PC screens in Electronic Gaming Monthly.
The first shows the Hell-Knight in front of the large skull with his hand stretched out in front of him. The other shows a demon in front of a dead chainsaw zombie. Two really nice shots if you ask me. The demon in shot two is red around the mouth like in the latest XBOX shots. Has it been changed or is it a variation? DISCUSS!

Updated:

From planetdoom forums:
No no you guys have it all wrong, haha. Ive got that mag, those 2 new shots are for the xbox and the guns are just represnting the games on the page, the m16 for the battlefield game, the chaingun for unreal championship 2, the doom 3 machine gun for doom 3, which you will see is highlighted for the shots. If you look at all the other games they have all the guns on the screenshots to but they each highlighted for whatever game, like the m16 is highlighted for either battfield modern combat or that new vietnam game there, there not for doom 3 trust me. The segment on the page is called "good looking shooters" or something along those lines, read it again trust me.

The AK47 and the M16 will not be in the game. If you look close enough, you'll see that all of the weapons depicted are attached to a rack to staple up weapons. My guess is that the editor of the magazine wanted you to see what Doom's weapons would look like next to modern day weapons.

Woah, that skull thingy is huge. I hope it's a monster and not a sculpture :P

An M16!? An AK47!? What's a SCI-FI/HORROR game set at least 200 years in OUR FUTURE doing using late 20th century FIREARMS!! This is STUPID!!! I hope they put these screens online so I can see for myself!!

Annoyed,
Tsar,

tsareppsun said:

An M16!? An AK47!? What's a SCI-FI/HORROR game set at least 200 years in OUR FUTURE doing using late 20th century FIREARMS!! This is STUPID!!! I hope they put these screens online so I can see for myself!!

Annoyed,
Tsar,

Read my post. Probably nothing to worry about. Id software knows what they're doing.

tsareppsun said:

What's a SCI-FI/HORROR game set at least 200 years in OUR FUTURE doing using late 20th century FIREARMS!! This is STUPID!!!

So you didn't like the original Doom, huh?

Fredrik said:

Of course I did! But I still couldn't really understand WHY id had chosen REAL-WORLD military weaponry instead of creating/designing made-up weapons like other vidgame "FUTURE" shooters, like HALO, UNREAL, UNREAL TOURNEMENT or the upcomming KILLZONE. Those games uses weaponry that function and fires the same kind of projectiles very much the same as our weapons today. Gas-operated lead spitters, Rocket propelled rounds, Shotgun shellike ammo, all like today, BUT AT LEAST they're cleaverly DESIGHNED to a very UNreal-world and futuristic reference.

This is my ONLY gripe.

Tsar,

so, ok

what the HELL was the BFG?

and the Plasma Rifle?

hardly stuff that's in use by the military today

;)

Disorder said:

The AK47 and the M16 will not be in the game. If you look close enough, you'll see that all of the weapons depicted are attached to a rack to staple up weapons. My guess is that the editor of the magazine wanted you to see what Doom's weapons would look like next to modern day weapons.

Okay, someone who bought the magazine confirmed that the AK47 and the M16, obviously, do not appear in Doom 3:

No no you guys have it all wrong, haha. Ive got that mag, those 2 new shots are for the xbox and the guns are just represnting the games on the page, the m16 for the battlefield game, the chaingun for unreal championship 2, the doom 3 machine gun for doom 3, which you will see is highlighted for the shots. If you look at all the other games they have all the guns on the screenshots to but they each highlighted for whatever game, like the m16 is highlighted for either battfield modern combat or that new vietnam game there, there not for doom 3 trust me. The segment on the page is called "good looking shooters" or something along those lines, read it again trust me.

tsareppsun said:

Annoyed,
Tsar,

Calm down, did you ever stop and consider that they are not really AKs or M-16s, merely that they look similar to one? The so-called "Machinegun" in Doom3 has a similar style to a P90 SMG, but it is different. So calm down and remember that id knows what they are doing.

But what’s wrong whit ak and m16. Think about it.

You get to waiting room and there is exhibition of a few old weapons and wile you are waiting you look around maybe read a few details about weapons whit that neet iD web like interface after a wile npc comes and you talk to him and go on journey. But then some time after hell is loose you get back but you only have your sidearm gun you brake the glass and take a few old guns for starter until you get proper new age guns(map or two).

But like someone who read whole magazine sad there won’t be ak and m16 in doom3.

LOL whoever thinks id Software would suddenly put boring real-life firearms in Doom3 is stupid ;)

Ahiles said:

But what’s wrong whit ak and m16. Think about it.

You get to waiting room and there is exhibition of a few old weapons and wile you are waiting you look around maybe read a few details about weapons whit that neet iD web like interface after a wile npc comes and you talk to him and go on journey. But then some time after hell is loose you get back but you only have your sidearm gun you brake the glass and take a few old guns for starter until you get proper new age guns(map or two).

Heh, yeah, and some 200-year old guns in a display case would be complete with ammo, clean, loaded and still in perfect working order...

heh

yeh, you see an imp coming towards you, you kick in the glass and grab the AK-47.

As soon as your hands touch it, it just crumbles

that'd be a good comedy piece

It would be a nice way to introduce the classic double barrel shotgun into the game.

TH-555 said:

I see no screens!

Obviously, since magazine scans aren't permitted here. You'll have to find them on your own.

Fredrik said:

Hmm most of Doom's guns were toy guns - e.g. the shotgun does not look identical to any rl shotgun I've ever seen anywhere (but it may have a few similarities to modern day guns). It's merely a "modern'y looking" shotgun and it wasn't out of place because back then, games didn't have the same level of believability details as they have now.

The chaingun, rocket launcher and the energy weapons did not look identical to any modern counterparts - the chaingun's barrels are way too thick for it to be a Minigun and the weapon itself is too small with a pistol handle. The rocket launcher doesn't look like a modern rocket launcher at all and the plasma weapons are self-explanatory.

Putting modern rl weapons in a game is imo boring, because you see them in countless other games and in countless movies (it was cool the first time I fired an M16 in a game - then the coolness quickly wore off as I tried several other games with the exact same gun in them) - imaginative guns seem fresh, new and interesting even if it's just the tiresome ol' shotgun.

I doubt this, but whatever.

Check this out!

and this:

From somewhere:
"One can hardly believe it, but in the next expenditure of the GameStar, which is available on 2 June at the kiosk, the GameStar will publish the Doom3 test.

What reimt itself on May? - whole clearly: Doom3
At the end of May is Doom3 in the USA to appear. We already booked our tickets to the Mars moon Phobos. In the test you experience whether Doom3 keeps the promised high voltage continuous upright and like the diagram monster on their hardware runs - inclusive Tuning tips.

These are probably the best message over Doom3 for a long time. This lets the hearts of all fans strike probably more highly. But again caution is also here required, since the release date can always still shift. Beside the test it will give a multilateral Koplettloesung.
Discusses this in our forum. To the Forenthread

Source: Current expenditure of the GameStar"

Oh and yeah they are not to be trusted and whatnot.

I find it extremely unlikely that the Doom3 test will be released AFTER the full game.

Shaviro said:

and this:

Could you please link the original german text so that we don´t have to read that absurd bablefish nonsense. I can also try to translate for you if I have the original text.

Was reimt sich auf Mai? - Ganz klar: Doom3

Ende Mai soll Doom3 in den USA erscheinen. Wir haben unsere Tickets zum Marsmond Phobos schon gebucht. Im Test erfahren Sie, ob Doom3 die versprochene Hochspannung durchgehend aufrecht hält und wie das Grafikmonster auf ihrer Hardware läuft - inklusive Tuning-Tips.

"What rhymes with May: DOOM 3 of course. We would like to test it...

DOOM 3 is supposed to be released in May in the US. We already booked our tickets to the mars-moon Phobos. In the test you'll find out if DOOM 3 delivers the promised experience and how it runs on your hardware - including tweak guide."

This was translated by RosOne at planetdoom.

However, original news was posted on site which has scanned pics so cant post url and was scanned from gamestar magazine.

I don't think so many people have essentially agreed on the timeframe for Doom 3 since the E3 '02 prediction of early 2003.

Still pretty worthless without an official announcement from id and Activision, though.

Thanks Ahiles. The translation is also better.

One note: "test" in this case simply means "review" in German (because they test the game to review it, thus calling the review a test), so they are not talking about a playable, downloadable test version of Doom3. They just talk about their review.

I gotta admit that the pinky and Hell Knight are two D3 monsters I just don't wanna look at anymore (but shoot them? Hell yeah!) - though the background in the Hell Knight shot looks interesting. A glimpse of Hell I'd assume.