Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
The Ultimate DooMer

Boom ports

I just thought of this question the other day when testing my CC2 map:

Besides the main ports (Boom/prBoom, ZDoom, Eternity) how many other Boom ports are there, and does anyone use them?

Fully Boom compatible are:

MBF, SMMU, Eternity, PrBoom, ZDoom and Risen3D.

Legacy is mostly Boom compatible but it's missing the voodoo dolls and has a few other issues.

EDGE supports most of Boom's features but AFAIK some crucial ones are missing (I think silent line teleporters) so it can't really be called 'compatible'.

Graf Zahl said:

EDGE supports most of Boom's features but AFAIK some crucial ones are missing (I think silent line teleporters) so it can't really be called 'compatible'.

The same goes for Legacy then, as manikins are a crucial feature as well.

Some people would also regard rocket jumping as a crucial feature. :)

The recent CDoom is presumably fully Boom-compatible. Also the largely forgotten port Fusion.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

The same goes for Legacy then, as manikins are a crucial feature as well.

He was talking about Boom features. Mannequins were in the originals.

Still, this is a problem which needs to be fixed.

ToXiCFLUFF said:

He was talking about Boom features. Mannequins were in the originals.

Still, this is a problem which needs to be fixed.

it won't be fixed, because the author of Legacy refuses to implent them.

Deathman said:

BEST PORT EVAR!!!111!

Making a Boom map for as many Boom compatible ports as possible is the same damn big pain in the ass like designing web pages that have to work in all browsers. I'm experiencing that with my CC2 map right now. Apparently not even prBoom is 100% boom.exe compatible. It really sucks.

boris said:

Making a Boom map for as many Boom compatible ports as possible is the same damn big pain in the ass like designing web pages that have to work in all browsers. I'm experiencing that with my CC2 map right now. Apparently not even prBoom is 100% boom.exe compatible. It really sucks.

What's your problem with PrBoom? Maybe someone knows how to avoid it. Of course there's no other port than Boom that is 100% Boom compatible. Some issues are unavoidable - mostly due to bug fixes. And don't forget that there's not one single port out there which is directly derived from Boom itself:

Eternity and PrBoom are based on MBF which did a lot of changes to Boom's code.
ZDoom has taken a lot of code from Boom but in most cases it has been updated to the state of MBF.
Legacy has many Boom features but their implementation is a little selective so calling it 'Boom compatible' doesn't even apply. And it doesn't have a single MBF feature.

So unless you are actually using Boom itself 'Boom compatible' doesn't mean much.

Prboom 2.02 should be 100% Boom compatible, given that it is a direct port of it to Windows. It's always there as an option for those who can't use the DOS version, and if Prboom 2.2.4's Boom compatibility mode ("-complevel 3") fails for some reason.

BTW, what are these Boom features that Prboom 2.2.4 doesn't support?

Deathman said:

I recently (well, earlier in the year) brought up the problem of Legacy not supporting Voodoo dolls at Newdoom and was told that a future version would put them back in. Things may have changed since then though...

The Flange Peddler said:

I recently (well, earlier in the year) brought up the problem of Legacy not supporting Voodoo dolls at Newdoom and was told that a future version would put them back in. Things may have changed since then though...

I've brought up the same subject at Legacy's forum 5(?) times for the past 2 years.

The Flange Peddler said:

I mentioned this as well and the responce was positive that they will be put back in.... time will tell however.

Indeed it will. Optimism is key here as well. Condemning a port because it *currently* lacks an almost key feature isnt the best practice. With the amount of things on the Buglist and Feature Request, it may be hard to sort through and pick out the essentials. For now substituting the voodoo doll effect is as easy making a blood spat and giving it the AllTrigger, but this isnt backwardly compatible with boom so its pointless for that. Anyways if you want a legacy version of a wad and the voodoo doll is the only compatability culprit, then releasing a separate legecy version using the above solution is possible, and doesnt take much work at all.

Currently the best solution would be to use (if possible) only Boom's generalized linedef types with a monster trigger flag set. That can be activated by anything, including decorations.

iori said:

Condemning a port because it *currently* lacks an almost key feature isnt the best practice.

s/currently/for a couple years/

Graf Zahl said:

Currently the best solution would be to use (if possible) only Boom's generalized linedef types with a monster trigger flag set. That can be activated by anything, including decorations.

Yeah, this works. Still, it's not much use to the bundles of Boom/Doom wads using voodoo dolls.

We have been trying to iron out all the problems with boris's map in Eternity, and I'm finding that the BOOM generalized line code seems very rushed. It contains a lot of trivial errors that should have been avoidable, and the result is that things which work in prboom or Eternity don't work in BOOM, even though they should, and of course, Eternity and prboom also disagree as we have not applied all of each others' fixes (I would LOVE to improve this situation though).