Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Revo19

X800 line...

Is the X800 pro a good card? I've seen the benchmarks and stuff and read the things at tomshardware.com and should i get the card or get the 6800 ultra because i really dont want to spend alot of money on a new video card...

Depends on what games you play and at what settings... if you play mostly open GL games get the nvidia, if you want great AA, AF and pixel shader performance get the ati. I personally would get the ATI because it seems faster and the AF and AA are fast on the card as well, but the 6800 series kick ass as well, you cant go wrong with either :)

I think the question is, wether the NV40's Ulta Shadow/Shader 3.0 features will turn out to be of importance. There is a benchmark of X2 (which is supposed to profit from Ultra Shadow), yet the X800 XT is faster than the 6800 Ultra. The same goes with Far Cry. So I would favourize the X800 XT over the 6800 Ultra. But there are no benchmarks yet, that compare the performance of the two cards in Doom III...

As to your question: If you are willing to spend $ 400 for a X800 Pro (with only 12 Pixel pipelines), then you should be able to spend $ 500 for a 16 pixel piplined X800 XT -> Get the XT!

I also read in Toms Hardware that either the XT or the Platinum Ed. will have a 100mhz faster ...something than the pro ;)

Does anyone know, wether there exist benchmarks of X800 Xt with Doom3 already? Nvidia released some for their new cards.

Deathmatcher said:

Does anyone know, wether there exist benchmarks of X800 Xt with Doom3 already? Nvidia released some for their new cards.

I would like to see those benchmarks. Do you have a link?

Considering that the GeForce6800Ultra has the fastest OpenGL performance and contains some features that Carmack specifically asked for, I think it's safe to say that it will be THE card for Doom3.
On the other hand, nobody buys a graphics card for just one game (or rather: one game engine). The ATI RadeonX800 seems to have slightly more PixelShader performance which can be benefitial in Far Cry and HalfLife2.
Like Intel17 said, both cards have excellent performance. Although I'm personally going to wait until Doom3 and HalfLife2 are on the market, and then I'll decide what card to get.

I'm sorry, I don't have a link. I have a blurry screenshot in one print magazine, on which Nvidia shows how the NV40 performs with Doom3. But there are only dots instead of curves and there are just numbers (1,2..) on the y-axis, instead of fps-values.

I like how people claim the x800 has better pixel shaders, yet it doesnt support PS 3.0 as the 6800 does. (I'm aware ATI has slightly better shader performance, but its nothing that can't be fixed with drivers updates, as nVidia are already doing)

Anyway,

For current games (as in, ones that are out this year or next), it's 6 and two 3s, between those two cards. The performance difference is negligible. Buy whichever one is cheapest. Or has the prettiest box. Whatever.

The 6800 has a giant cooler, which blocks the first PCI-slot and it's way louder that the X800 XT. Also, the 6800 requires one hell of a power supply. All these aspects drive me into ATI's lair.

The 6800 has 2 molex sockets. They say that you only need to have one, and the other is used when you overclock, but apparently to run the card at stock speeds with only one molex you still see artifacting.

They also recommend/require that you have a 480w PSU.

It takes up 2 slots and is loud as fuck.

Just for those 3 reasons alone (not even getting into performance, here) I'd pick the x800.

Arioch said:
The 6800 has 2 molex sockets. They say that you only need to have one, and the other is used when you overclock, but apparently to run the card at stock speeds with only one molex you still see artifacting.

No. You need both. Hardocp tried using just one, wouldn't even work.

They also recommend/require that you have a 480w PSU.

It takes up 2 slots and is loud as fuck.

No, it's not loud as fuck. It's actually pretty quiet. But the PSU req is too high.
ATI is doing a complete overhaul of their Open_GL driver, they've already mentioned that. So they will be in competition for being the best at OGL. OGL is all nvidia has on ATI right now, and most games use DirectX.

AirRaid said:

http://www.extremetech.com/article2/0,1558,1591397,00.asp?kc=ETRSS02129TX1K0000532

Uh, yeah.

Also, I'm fairly sure I've seen shots of a 6800 with a single-slot architecture. Much thinner than the dual slot GeForce FXs.

And anyway... Who uses all their PCI slots nowadays? :P

Yes a single slot design which is not the ultra it's the GT I believe. Single molex too.

Do you people think it would be best to wait for the X800 XT to be released? Or will the X800 Pro suffice for Doom3/Half Life 2 ?

is the x800xt PE out right now? on the compusa site it says june 21st but i read somewhere it comes out may 21..........

to deathmatcher: a x800 pro will suffice for doom3/HL2 and as intel said so will a 9800 pro or xt

Deathmatcher said:

The 6800 has a giant cooler, which blocks the first PCI-slot

This is a non-argument. Nobody uses the PCI-slot right above the graphics card. Blocking all the heat that emits from the GPU is a very bad idea.

Arno said:

This is a non-argument. Nobody uses the PCI-slot right above the graphics card. Blocking all the heat that emits from the GPU is a very bad idea.

Yeah, you're right. I have the X800 PRO now, and despite of the 1st PCI slot not being blocked, the X800 is far too close to insert a card there.

Arno said:

Right, most people leave a spot beside the card, however your forgetting that since it's taking up a slot you wouldn't use anyways, because it would be space for cooling, now beyond the two slots its using, you need to leave a third slot for space for the air. Remember, your keeping one slot space between the card no matter what, so it is an arguement because your not losing 1 pci slot, but two when comparing to a single slot design.

Alientank said:

Right, most people leave a spot beside the card, however your forgetting that since it's taking up a slot you wouldn't use anyways, because it would be space for cooling, now beyond the two slots its using, you need to leave a third slot for space for the air. Remember, your keeping one slot space between the card no matter what, so it is an arguement because your not losing 1 pci slot, but two when comparing to a single slot design.

The original FX5800 had a cooling solution that used a tube to blow the hot air straight out of the computer case. Hopefully some card manufacturer will implement that again for the 6800 Ultra. It all depends on how the manufacturer builds the cooling solution anyway. Some are better then others.