Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Scabbed Angel

Favorite Alien movie

I recently purchased the Alien ³ collector's edition dvd, being that it is my favorite Alien movie, (also with AVP coming out in August0 and decided I'd see if DW lives up to the expectations of Aliens being most fans' favorite. Altough Aliens was a great movie and took the franchise in a good direction, I didn't like how Stan Winston changed Giger's alien design. Thankfully, although Fox screwed Giger over for the 3rd, (and first time director Dave Fincher in my eyes), I really liek that they were more faithful to his design and absolutely love the 3rd. Most people seem to hate it because ****SPOILER**** (If you haven't seen it by now you don't deserver a spoiler warning, but to be fair) hicks and newt are killed off immediately, the is a scene with newt being autopsied, and Ripley dies in the end. I think that though it is somewhat depressing, Fincher capturesd more of the first's atmosphere and I love the sets. Any case, on with the polls and why you like/don't like the movies.

saw Alien when it came out. good movie... some dialogue could be improved, but it is good Ridley Scott. great casting, excellent mood... does a lot with very little.
Aliens, although Cameron, was average and disappointing. A sci-fi channel original movie.
Alien3 is interesting, but a total cop-out; and ultimately extremely little, IMVHO.
never saw Resurrection... but what I did catch on cable, it looked bad.
Aliens has a huge following, so I know most people would disagree with my opinions above.

Arioch said:

Although I voted Aliens, I still liked Resurrection a lot.

From what standpoint? As a movie, or as an Alien movie? As a movie I thought it was okay. A little too tongue in cheek (part where the military guy picks a piece of his brain out and looks at it?) and stylized for an alien movie, and with Ripley's involvment in the plot, being so highly unlikely (even for a sci-fi horror movie) and seemed me me like it had been made simply to milk the franchise. It did not, imho need to be made. On a plus side, Michael Wincott is in it, so it had that going for it. And the line "She's a queen, she'll breed, you'll die' is awesome.

Opulent: Alien3... "cop-out". How so?

I love ALL of them, Resurrection and Alien³ included. Which one's better depends on my mood.

props to Jim Cameron for making a good sequel, it's really a great action film and it's cool he was able to make something so different from the original. However the first one was more spooky and scary, though obviously the second had a lot more action and the end battle is really awesome. It's really kinda hard to compare the first two.

The third one is just bleh, though I have the extended edition which adds a few plot points (as well as some awful cg) which really makes it a much better movie, it's still not as good as the first one. I dunno what your gripe with Alien Resurrection is though, it's still quite good, and the hybrid alien scene at the end (birth and death) still creeps me out sometimes.

I'm affraid AvP will be crap tho :/

It is creepy, but inconsistent to me as a huge fan of the series. Alein 3 brought it all to a close. Ripley gives her life to prevent the species from continuing, and from the Company from utilizing it. What more did they need? It had honor, a perfect ending to what would have remained a great trilogy. AR, as an alien movie, was terrible. It did not take itself seriously, the mood was simply over stylized with little element of fear. It completely destroyed any sense of suspense... having the alien walking right in front of them slowly just to be stupid enough to stick its face in a body (if it noticed them, and it did, it would have killed them... this is a small disatisfaction btw. I cannot suspend my belief enough even in a sci-fi movie to pretend it would be possible to clone ripley from a drop of her blood frozen on Fury 161.. and have her part alien even though the chestburster is simply a parisite waiting to be born (not affecting the DNA). How could the human structure handle being mingled with that of an alien with higly acidic blood? It can't in any concievable way, and I like plotlines in movies to at least make some logical sense, (in their own contexts). The character development was terrible playing mostly off of stereotypes which is sad because many of the actors were decent. And though the creature at the end looks moderate (and I must admit does creep me out in the bay scene with the high contrast lighting) does not fit in with the alien francise. Perhaps I'm too much of a Giger fanboy. Not a terrible movie, just a terrible alien movie imo. There was no need for it, and if they HAD to made a 4rth, they should have just gone straight to AvP or done it without ripley.

DJ_Haruko, you are sick.

Wrong.

The alien mythos has always had the alien adapting itself to the host by modifying the genes.

This is why the alien in #3 looks distinctly like a quadruped.

Arioch said:

Wrong.

The alien mythos has always had the alien adapting itself to the host by modifying the genes.

This is why the alien in #3 looks distinctly like a quadruped.

Taking on the qualities of its host, yes. Why would it change the genetical makeup of the host itself? It doesn't. The host is only used as a place for incubation, and for food. Though it may gather its qualities, there has been no mention, and no logical explanation to back up the assumption that it would change the DNA of the host.

the premise behind Ripley developing xenomorph qualities (hightened awareness/senses/strength, acidic blood) was due to her dna and the dna of the chestbuster being mingled after ripley died because of the heat of the liquid metal or whatever. of course cloning doesn't work like that, you don't get a snapshot of the person when they died, you get the actual person as per what the DNA specifies, but it's science fiction and it makes some sense if you ignore a bit of recent biology (plus that's what the 'fiction' is for, and then there'd be no movie)

of course the major deciding factor was money, natch, but I don't think AR is worse than A3, sorry :P

Alien Resurrection bored me... too much action for my taste, and not much atmosphere. The first one was probably my favourite.

Cyb said:

of course the major deciding factor was money, natch, but I don't think AR is worse than A3, sorry :P

That's cool, man you don't have to like what I like. Its just intersting to hear other people's opinions. But it said in Resurrection, correct me if I'm wrong, that it was from a blood sample taken while on Fury 161, which would indicate it was taken in the medical scenes, not after she was burnt to a crisp in the motlen lead. Where'd you hear otherwise?

is that what they said? I got the quadrilogy (ugh I hate that dumb word) for christmas but AR has been the only one I haven't watched yet, so I haven't seen it in a while, so that's just what I remember... I believe there was some sort of explaination for why Ripley took on alien qualities but if my original reason is wrong then I forget what they said in the movie :/

Aliens is by far the best out of the entire series. It has the most action, the best acting, the best atmosphere and the best storyline.

Alien is a fine movie because it was the first but it just doesn't touch Aliens.

Alien 3 was lackluster at best. For one thing, prisons bore the hell out of me, even if they are in space. Secondly, it's hard to have a decent story when all the actors main lines are "Fu** (insert random word here)". I'm not against the word itself, but when you use it hundreds of times in a movie it kinda takes the sheen off of it.

As for Alien: Resurrection...ugh...just ugh. Words can't describe how awful that movie was. It just felt like a complete bastardization of the entire series. I'd rather have my testicles shaven by a wild baboon than watch this movie ever again.

Century said:

I'm not against the word itself, but when you use it hundreds of times in a movie it kinda takes the sheen off of it.

But its barely mentioned before the halfmark of the movie. They were also pressued to start filming the movie before they had a finished scrpit. The documentary is pretty interesting.

As for Alien: Resurrection...ugh...just ugh. Words can't describe how awful that movie was. It just felt like a complete bastardization of the entire series. I'd rather have my testicles shaven by a wild baboon than watch this movie ever again.

LOL

DJ_Haruko said:

Sigorny Weaver is hot, in my book.

i guess i am not the only one who thought that. well when she was younger.

The second one, which happens to be the first I saw.

Alien, of course.

Aliens is a good action flick (and the mother of DOOM.)
Alien³ was okay but kind of pointless.
Alien Resurrection was lame with the baby thing and the way overstretched plot.

My biggest problem with Alien is the awful special effects :/ (Aliens is light years ahead)

Fredrik said:
light years ahead

Technically 7; but not in execution, I think. Especially considering "with less, the more; the better." And the effects are geared toward different aims entirely. There's something awesome about Alien that goes right through its somewhat meagre means, whereas Aliens' appeal doesn't go much farther than the effects in question.

Good thing special effects were not as developed in '79; it helped develop the more relevant aspects of the movie; the concept, the setting, the mood, and the characters. Note how on Aliens the characters are somewhat cliched, and the aliens are cannon fodder as opposed to being almost supernatural.