Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
MysticTofu

Gameboy Advance Dooms?

Heya, does anyone know of a good online site or store or whatever where I could buy Doom and Doom 2 new for GBA? I've having a helluva time finding either except on amazon.com for about $80 each which I won't pay unless it's last resort.

I just looked them both up. Doom is $39.95 and Doom II is $69.95. Not quite $80, but it still warrants a wtf.

It took me a decade (not literally) to find both DOOMs!! DOOM 1 was found for $24.99 in a Gamestop a while back...DOOM 2 on the other hand had me all over NYC looking for it...and where did I find it...AT MY LOCAL GAME EXPRESS down the damn block for $19.95!! What's the deal with that!!??
They still have 2 more copies if anyone is interested...

Ichor said:

I wouldn't pay $80 for the Game Boy.

heh.

I have Doom2 on GBA and it sucks. Don't get it.

I have the first DOOM for GBA. Doom 1 and 2 for GBA are not as good as the PC versions, but good time killers. Thats about all they are, are time killers. The quality isn't as good, the graphics (i couldn't believe it either) are worse and the sound quality (of course) isn't as good either. Don't buy them unless you just want something to do while your in the waiting room, in the middle of class, or just waisting time in your cubicle.

When you're looking at these Dooms, you have to consider them in reference to what they're running on. I don't know the exact specs of a GB, but I'd bet they're pretty low. To bring a pretty faithful version of Doom & Doom 2 to them is pretty remarkable, imo.

I actually tried the ROMs just today using VBA, and man... these games are just awful. The GBA isn't powerful enough to handle 3D with decent quality, so you have ultra-lowres graphics (worse than the PC DOOM with Low Detail), ultra-ugly sound, etc. Unless you're some kind of handheld freak, I can't see why you would bother. And playing on a PC monitor is completely impossible.

I played doom 2 at a friends house I was surprised that it wasn't that bad.

The sound is not bad on the small gba speaker, and the music is good too. The graphics look pretty good on the small gb screen but I bet your right that they look bad when stretched to 10 times the size on a computer monitor.

Plus playing on the road probably is cool, or in the bathroom, or laying down on a couch, or in bed, etc etc.

If you're good at Doom and you get it on GBA, it will piss you off because it takes so long to get used to. You can't save during games as well.

DooM on gba is slow. Very slow. DooM 2 with *little* better graphs, slower.

Oh, dont forget, in DooM 1 Gba, you dont fight against Cyberdemon... where're is he? I dont knooow......

I playet it. Its hard, but give me head ache.

Maybe Duke Nukem 3d Advance is better...

Wow, you people, played doom2 for gba for... 5 minutes?

it's great, mofo's. you think it's just single player?

it's multiplayer, too!

Doom 2 for GBA isn't slower than doom for gba it's faster. new engine and everything. and made by torus, thank god, the old developer screwed it up.

yes... i played it.... I'm trying to finish DooM 1 first.

Ah.... im very doom addicted...

I still like DooM 2 for GBA. Maybe there is a way to convert DooM 1 maps to dooM2 engine gba?

Naitguolf said:

Maybe Duke Nukem 3d Advance is better...

No, it's worse.

If you could upload custom made Doom2 maps to the GBA it would be great. It will be cool if there was a built in editor as well.

DOOM 1 sucked indeed for GBA...no Cyberdemon, no Spider Mastermind...Now if only the new developers remade DOOM and put in the levels from Ultimate DOOM...now that would kick ass...still waiting on Final DOOM...right now trying to beat every level in DOOM 2 starting with pistol only!! Up to Industrial Zone B right now...

well... i give up....

I will play DooM only with Mouse+Keyboard.

Now playing Breath of Fire II... pretty good. And Another World, made by some french people. Good guys!! :)

DOOM games on GBA aren't taht bad. I found them pretty fun, a bit dodgy that it wasn't Ultimate DOOM though. And the multiplayer stinks... Anyway, I like them but if you have a Mac then head over to macgamefiles.com for DOOM 1 shareware.

Abandonware is not legal. It's just a word for warez that people believe they can get away with.

Please note Doomworld's strict no-warez policy. I'd recommend reading the FAQ a.s.a.p.

Oops, sorry. I myself don't consider Abandonware as warez and everywhere I've been has allowed it. Especially considering most abandonware games have been available on Magazine CDs (like Damage Inc) but I'm not gonna argue. so *edited*

Some old games are made into freeware (or at least "available for download at no charge") by their creators once they believe they no longer have any commercial value. Perhaps these are the ones you have seen on magazine cover disks.

well, if 7 years constitutes as old then yeah. id may have released the Mac version as it could never beat Marathon for mac gamer's hearts and it probably didn't go down too well as the few mac gamers that there are mostly like simple stuff. Also, unheard of stuff like Sensory Overload and Prime Target are available too. If I do some research (email id, etc.) and find out that the Mac version is freeware could it then be posted here?

There is a difference between abandonware and warez. You may choose not to see it, but it's there. Besides, the definition of abandonware is rather problematic. Then you have **** - is it legal or not? Is it abandonware or not?

I think, whether its legal or not, any game out of production should be made free. teh company won't make any more money anyway. And I'll tell you this: DOOM for the Mac is unavailable anywhere almost. And where it is available it tends to be pretty expensive. Its out of production etc. so it definately should be free so "kiddies" like me can learn of the joys of DOOM.

Well, that's a decision for the copyright holders (or their licensees) and no one else.

Yeah, and I'm almost certain id have given u on the DOOM trilogy by now. I mean, 9 1/2 years old on Mac, nobody's buying it and its out of production, so why wouldn't they? It'd just mean more people would get into DOOM and then buy DOOM 3. What makes you so sure it isn't freeware now on Mac?

Try going to England and finding DOOM games...Anything before 1997 is rare. Haven't seen DN3D, DOOM, Quake 1, etc. In shops as far as I can remember.