Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Century

Weather in Doom?

Has anyone made an addition to the Doom code that allows the insertion of weather such as windstorms, snow, nice-looking rain (I know I've seen this one but it wasn't pretty), and lightning with thunder? I think I've seen lightning in a wad before but it was only a flash and there was no thunder.

I've often pondered what it would be like to fight a horde of imps in an unforgiving windstorm, so if any of you have any recommendations on wads with some decent looking weather, I'd be much abliged.

By the way, if this has been discussed before I apologize.

You can make snow and rain in Zdoom with projectiles. Requiers a bit Dehacked/Decorate editing. You can make lihgtnings in sky (MAPINFO), or a skybox with scripted lighting that makes it flash along with a sound, or perhaps a projectile thunder that strikes somewhere. You can make wind by using scrolling player without scrolling flats, You can even make leafs being blown on wind with projectiles.
RECOMMENDATIONS:
TNT 3 had Snow
Qdoom had rain
Hexen had lightning, wind
Hell Spawn Demo had wind and rain (look in Zdoom's forums)

There's wind in Heretic, but I don't know if it's possible to make it work in any of the Doom ports yet.

Draconio said:

There's wind in Heretic, but I don't know if it's possible to make it work in any of the Doom ports yet.

Wind exists since Boom. And ZDoom allows to use all of Heretic's specials in Doom maps.

If you want to experience wind in a Doom map download 007LTSD and play E4M1.

My new map has lightning and thunder, but it's not released yet, I think I saw another map somewhere with lightning and thunder though.

Epyo said:

My new map has lightning and thunder, but it's not released yet, I think I saw another map somewhere with lightning and thunder though.

Considering that this is probably the easiest effect to achieve... ;-)

Wat I thought it was hard figuring out how the heck to put the thunder in.

Thanks for the input so far guys. I'm definitely gonna try these suggestions tomorrow.

I've done rain for a while in DOOM maps, even as drips in HacX.

Check out QDOOM, the first few levels have rain, thunder, and lightning (that actually can hurt you if they hit).

The lightning is pretty random, so hang out in the start area of the first map, where the large water pool is. I think there are a few lightning bolt things hanging out there.

The best rain I've ever seen in a FPS was sadly in Diakatana. That swamp map they did was mindblowingly good with the mood and rain effects.