Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Quasar

prboom Issues Thread

entryway said:

This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download

Right click - Save Target As. Or copy/paste URL into Address bar.

entryway said:
This file is hosted by Tripod, a Lycos®Network Site, and is not available for download

Yeah, sorry about that; what Grazza said above should work (I should have noted it in my post).

Grazza said:
My guess is that this might have something to do with changes in 2.4.6.1 to incorporate screen multiple/interlaced scanning (there were changes in the screenshot code). However, I can't really test this myself, since I don't have the problem. I'll e-mail you the test versions immediately before and immediately after those changes.

Yes, thanks, test #6 (Sept 3rd, 06) saves BMPs properly in software mode, while test #7 (Sept 9th, 06) has the issue.

Grazza said:

There were some nasty sound bugs in prboom 2.4.6.

http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1586800&group_id=3396&atid=103396
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1577909&group_id=148658&atid=772946
http://sourceforge.net/tracker/index.php?func=detail&aid=1577495&group_id=3396&atid=103396 - not sure if that is relevant, but I'll mention it anyway

They never made it into a prboom-plus release (2.4.6.1 was before them, and 2.4.6.2 is free of them), but it was present in a test version (see the second of the threads linked to above). But there might be a few rarely-triggered problems still lurking (such as the one emailking mentioned).

I can't really tell how any of these might be related to the SDL sound engine...

I was playing single player prboom today and something really weird happened.After beating the first level the intermision screen was the multiplayer intermision, wtf?

I then spawned on a multiplayer start the next level!

I did load a save maybe my save file somehow got curupted, is this a known bug? I checked on sourceforge and I didn't see anything about ti.

Huston, we have a problem.

In MultiPlayer, PrBoom engines are using the bright red range (starting at color 0xB0) for Red's suit, instead of the dull red range (starting at color 0x20) that's supposed to be used.

EDIT: Another issue. In Doom you don't hear other Players' pick-up sounds, only your own. I'm not sure how the code is dong while playing under v1.9 compatibility, but I'm watching a MultiPlayer demo and when using F12 I always and only hear the pick-up sounds of the original viewpoint, and not the current Player's (as it should be since unlike Doom PrBoom makes a full switch to the Player selected, unlike Doom that keeps the sounds and palette or colormap changes of the original Player).

myk said:

EDIT: Another issue. In Doom you don't hear other Players' pick-up sounds, only your own.

It is a compatibility option, if I understand this code:

/* cph 20028/10 - for old-school DM addicts, allow old behavior
   * where only consoleplayer's pickup sounds are heard */
  if (!comp[comp_sound] || player == &players[consoleplayer])
    S_StartSound (player->mo, sound | PICKUP_SOUND);   // killough 4/25/98

In MultiPlayer, PrBoom engines are using the bright red range (starting at color 0xB0) for Red's suit, instead of the dull red range (starting at color 0x20) that's supposed to be used

Seems like the code uses the same color for the automap arrows as for the shirts, and since the automap uses 176 in mapcolor_plyr[], then that is what the shirts become. Easily fixed.

Feels good knowing I've saved the Space Shuttle from crashing.

Ajapted said:
It is a compatibility option, if I understand this code:

Yeah, which I believe is working correctly as far as playing goes (I used PrBoom to play online in the past in v1.9 mode), but it appears to me that that code also seems to be affecting demo playback and its F12 mode, in a bad way.

There seems to be a bug in SDL that affects its TiMidity implementation. The music for levels 05 and 13 (D_DOOM) acquires a shrill and persistent sound after a while. I've also noticed it in Chocolate Doom, so it's not something PrBoom specific, although the developers of SDL engines might want to bug the SDL team about it (or hack up a fix). ZDoom's TiMidity support doesn't have this problem.

myk said:

There seems to be a bug in SDL that affects its TiMidity implementation. The music for levels 05 and 13 (D_DOOM) acquires a shrill and persistent sound after a while. I've also noticed it in Chocolate Doom, so it's not something PrBoom specific, although the developers of SDL engines might want to bug the SDL team about it (or hack up a fix). ZDoom's TiMidity support doesn't have this problem.

How do you use TiMidity?

set SDL_NATIVE_MUSIC = "EXT"
set SDL_NATIVE_MUSIC_EXT = "3"

?

I do not hear the difference

In the CFG you need sound_card -1 and mus_pause_opt 2*, and then a timidity.cfg in the PrBoom+ directory, which defines the directory the patches are in, plus of course the patches in that directory.

* At least on my computer, or problems occur.

The current build of DV2 that Huy is working on only runs on one version of PrBoom+ it seems...

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.3.Test:

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.2:

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.1:

Suggestion to what I consider an annoying "feature":

Remove the backgrounds from the menu screens, or at least allow an option to do so. They are unnecessary, as the small font was specifically designed to be drawn over the game in action. While the action stops in single player, and this doesn't matter that much, in MultiPlayer you still want to see what's going on while going through the menu, as the action continues, and likewise while watching a demo.

myk said:

This SDL issue affects the music for CChest2 Map26, as well.

I kind of remember this problem from way back during the 2.2.x versions, so it must be some old glitch that never got addressed in SDL.

myk said:

Suggestion to what I consider an annoying "feature":

Remove the backgrounds from the menu screens, or at least allow an option to do so. They are unnecessary, as the small font was specifically designed to be drawn over the game in action. While the action stops in single player, and this doesn't matter that much, in MultiPlayer you still want to see what's going on while going through the menu, as the action continues, and likewise while watching a demo.

Are you referring to the screen shots I posted? Because that screen is only there when your at the start menu..

Edit: Doh, you must be referring to the menus that block the whole screen under setup and general.

I can confirm myk's findings about the music. The high-pitched strings sound too shrill.
Another long-standing sound bug: the pitch-shift emulation of v1.1 doesn't work. It seems to be applied to the menu sounds only, not to the in-game SFX.

Mike.Reiner said:

The current build of DV2 that Huy is working on only runs on one version of PrBoom+ it seems...

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.3.Test:

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.2:

In PrBoom+ 2.4.8.1:

Huy must fix it

I too can attest to the musical bugginess. Here's a recording of what Timidity produces whenever I play MAP05 in Chocolate Doom. Listen to the strings at :07; much louder in the mix than when played in the Timidity player or ZDOOM. And of course there is the obnoxious, intensifying harmonic (at least I think it's a harmonic) noise that persists with increasing intensity from 1:15 to 1:58 and 3:10 to 4:20.

Now, I haven't tested this with PrBoom yet, however I HAVE been having an issue with PrBoom involving the resolution settings. For some reason I can't seem to get PrBoom to display in 640 x 400, despite every other port I've tried (ZDOOM, Chocolate Doom, Legacy, Doom 95) having no problem with it. I set the res in both the config ("screen_width" and screen hight") and the command line ("prboom.exe -width 640 -height 400") yet it just shows up as letterboxed 640 x 480.

That's not really a bug (and I don't know if it has been fixed recently), but when watching a coop movie, if you wanna look the other player (using F12), next level prboom+ sets you back to the "main" player's view (the one who recorded the demo). Quite boring.

Has PrBoom's bizarre translucency bug ever been noticed before? At first I thought I had somehow confused it with the tranmaps in my own level, but I loaded up Phobos: Anomaly Reborn and looked around for some glass windows just to check, and sure enough they had the same problem.

Two example screenshots taken from e1m5 of PAR.wad:

http://sl4.poned.com/screens/prboom-transbug/capture_14092008_125901.png
http://sl4.poned.com/screens/prboom-transbug/capture_14092008_125905.png

Lines using custom tranmaps, especially unusual manually-created ones (additive blending, masking, etc.) have varying results, but tend to be on the more completely bizarre end of the spectrum.

It's fixed in PrBoom-Plus, but it's a shame that some Boom-compatible wads are effectively broken in PrBoom as a result of this. :\

EDIT: I see this was noticed and fixed a few pages back, but unless I'm missing something, PrBoom hasn't had any releases since November 2006...

PrBoom 2.5.0 on map 30 from TNT.wad on complevel 7 or while viewing demos originally recorded by Boom\PrBoom 202 the stairs will not build to allow access to the Red key. Thanks.

Yeah, you seem to have caught something there. Apparently it's applying Boom's stair-building method to Boom's Doom compatibility mode (compatibility level 7 in PrBoom), as those stairs are broken in Boom unless Doom compatibility mode is used.

Yeah it was among my 1st few bug reports to Entryway for PrBoom+ and it was fixed right away. I like to use that complevel alot for transparent objects and stuff so that the feeling of going from Doom to Boom and back is more of a coherent one.

So I mostly play complevel 7 for vanilla and complevel 9 for Boom. I could be wrong but enemy behavior and floor motion among other things just feel more like Boom then Doom in Boom's "Doom Compatibility" plus the Super-Shotgun glitch is consistent this way and I just don't like to feel like I'm always switching engine behaviors for no big reason.

HackNeyed said:
I could be wrong but enemy behavior and floor motion among other things just feel more like Boom then Doom in Boom's "Doom Compatibility"

Not really; it's pretty close to how Doom behaves. For example, monsters don't fall off ledges while alive, stairs are built like in Doom, and the number of lost souls dependent on pain elementals is limited.

I like to use that complevel alot for transparent objects

You mean like the fireballs? I've always felt that is nonsense, as it makes them less marked. I think translucency is best used for liquids and glass in Boom, not flames or energy. Also, in Boom itself that is optional. I'm not sure why PrBoom's compatibility levels 7 and 9 force certain default settings (such as whether the sky is affected by invulnerability or whether translucency is used on things) instead of behaving like Boom (allowing the player to choose).

Boom's Doom compatibility seems like a good choice for demos on limit removing maps that have no Boom effects. I think it's better than level 2 on those maps because level 2 is best reserved for true Doom compatibility (all limits included).

True it's more compatible for maps and behavior (specifically Ult Doom) but I'll play may favorite maps in comp 3 sometimes and 7 others and they just seem more difficult in 7. Playing a vanilla demo (Doom/Ult Doom from Compet-N) will quickly desync when I force complevel 7 via the command line even with demo insurance set to full or not. Only Ledmeister's no monster runs on ClassicDOOM.com seem to work. As soon as a monster is involved or even shooting at barrels in E1M8BACK.LMP will desync 3 slightly different ways out of 3 tries with full insurance and at least 2 different ways out of 5 tries with insurance off (well, on for recording only.)

As far as translucency sure it's a triad off. Aesthetically it's a nice little upgrade though projectiles are a little harder to see teleportation and the BFG aren't as blinding nor are Arch-Vile attacks. Though translucency can be turned off in PrBoom(+ for sure) for all complevels that supported it for consistency.