Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
kevingpo

Nice-looking Doom now

What's the best-good looking Doom sourceport out there? Graphics-wise. What's everyone's preference?

JDoom just runs slow as hell with the 3D models.
They need to improve on that...Unreal Tournament 2004 runs fine, while JDoom does not...

Ricki said:

definately jDoom.

it has 3d models, high res textures, but still keeps the old doom feel.

I could argue about that old Doom feeling being there, but I won't. I suppose JDoom it is. Alternatively you can also try Risen3D.

Infinite Ammunition said:

Can't forget Vavoom.

Vavoom doesn't look good (at least not on my system!)

For pure visuals nothing beats JDoom.

Yeah, but isn't it a bit lame to improve level's look with just a port.

I use ZDoom (don't mean to lick your ass Graf), cos it's the closest one to Doom, but I put a tremendous amount of details and fake 3d objects, like chairs, computers, barrels, lights, rotating fans. Then it looks fuckin' nice and has none of primitive Doom feeling.
...and I don't use OpenGL.

JDOOM for now is best. And there are also plans in the making to ensure it stays that way.

However if Legacy can get around to adding md2 support and custom textures, then it'll be a close runner up.

Also, ZdoomGL should be implementing 3d models sometime as well.

personally, I'd say that all the opengl ports look like ass.
Jdoom is the prettiest; zdoom looks damn nice though(esp with all the advanced features that it supports).

JDoom would look nice, if not for the performance problems and the fact that there are just some things you can't improve on (ie. level architecture and the fact that some people make "high res textures" by sizing them up and filtering them in Photoshop).

I think filtering and any of the other OpenGL functions look like crap in Doom. I really like the original feeling, which is why I use ZDoom with HiRes but no GL features. (Except for transparency of fire balls).

OT: It's really nasty that ZDoom let's you fire at obstacles (like trees) and you receive splash damage). Does anyone know how to turn this off, so that it behaves like in the original Doom?

However if Legacy can get around to adding md2 support and custom textures, then it'll be a close runner up.

Apart from legacys dynamic lighting is the worst in the world and it STILL has "missing texture" errors

gemini09 said:

JDoom just runs slow as hell with the 3D models.
They need to improve on that...Unreal Tournament 2004 runs fine, while JDoom does not...

Slow as hell? I can have 30+ monsters, decorations and such onscreen with 25-30fps

Oh, and I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, what about you?

What ever happened to BooM??? Any one remember that?

We where talking about good looking ports, not traditional/fast/editing-friendly ports heh

So it's JDoom and Legacy for being the two nicest looking sourceports. And ZDoom and PrBoom for keeping old style Doom and total secure.

deathbringer said:

We where talking about good looking ports, not traditional/fast/editing-friendly ports heh

Um, there is a GLBoom, in case anyone's forgotten.

Mr. Chris said:

Slow as hell? I can have 30+ monsters, decorations and such onscreen with 25-30fps

Oh, and I have a Radeon 9800 Pro, what about you?

I have Gforce4 or 5, whichever was brand new a little over a year ago.

I can have around 10-20 monsters on-screen at once, but then it starts slowing down. Try firing a couple of BFG shots at a pack of monsters. I'm using the alternate weapons pack, but I doubt it makes all that much difference.

Either way, despite the graphics boost, it's still a very old game, so slow-downs on pretty new computers is unacceptable, in my opinion (though I still play lots of JDoom, it's still great fun).

gemini09 said:

Either way, despite the graphics boost, it's still a very old game, so slow-downs on pretty new computers is unacceptable, in my opinion (though I still play lots of JDoom, it's still great fun).

Old game it may be, but JDoom is doing a LOT more graphics processing than the original software game. For one, OpenGL in Doom is really a hack since the original game data/engine was not designed to display fully 3D polygonal images and therefore has no optimizations for it. GL-friendly nodes help, but there is still no way a GL based renderer can compete with the original engines heavily optimized column based renderer for raw speed in a 2.5D gameworld (try running CChest.wad MAP29 in a GL-renderer and see what I mean)

As far as slowdowns with lots of monsters, since the use of 3D models with Quake (Descent if you want to be picky) I cannot think of any major games that would have had 20+ enemy models on the screen at the same time. JDoom also has no optimizations to my knowledge for handling the large number of monsters models needed to play Doom with 3D models, which would result in very high polycounts if there were many enemies on the screen.

zdoom gl is sweet, BUT WHY ISN'T THERE ANY DYNAMIC LIGHTING? Once there is, and md2'sand such, the newest zdoomgl will be the best. Also its high FPS and high-color looks awesome(plasma rifle anyone? also, go to scuba steve's weapon emporium and get the flame cannon, load it up in the latest zdoomgl, and it looks AMAZING).

zdoom is the best!

gl models look cool, but you have to consider the fact that most people who make new graphics do not take the tome to make new md2s as well.

stick with sprites.
they rock