What was your favorite DOOM game?

What was your favorite DOOM game?

Choices:
1. DOOM 95
2. DOOM II
3. Ultimate DOOM
4. Final DOOM
5. DOOM 64

It doens't matter what console they were on, whether it was PC, PSX, N64, etc... Please try to vote simply out of the fun factor and overal gameplay. I'm not looking for "Because it was classic" or "Because it was so original." I didn't include DOOM 3 because no one here has played it LEGALY. And I wanted to stick to the originals so NO TCs HERE.

Personally, I would have to say 1. Ultimate DOOM. I like the nonstop fighting and the 'sense of realism' that isn't given to me in DOOM II. You fight demons & enemies in sensible places and not have 8 hellnights throwing acidy stuff at you in a 4x4 room (like in DOOM II and in Final DOOM). They come in groups, not hordes. And I just couldnt get past the "not being on a computer" feel that DOOM 64 had.

Doom2 for me, no question. I've replayed most of its maps a great many times, while I've generally been through for the other Doom iwads just two or three times. Why? I simply found Doom2 more fun than Doom1, and I pretty much regard Final Doom as just two megawads (albeit good ones) that happened to be released by id. Never played Doom 64.

I don't know why Doom95 is on your list - that's just a modified/ported exe.

Grazza said:

Doom2 for me, no question. I've replayed most of its maps a great many times, while I've generally been through for the other Doom iwads just two or three times. Why? I simply found Doom2 more fun than Doom1, and I pretty much regard Final Doom as just two megawads (albeit good ones) that happened to be released by id.

Super NES Doom.

(heh)...anyway, I've really only been through Ultimate Doom and Doom 2, but in terms of fun and challenge I'd say Doom 2. In terms of atmosphere and design, Doom 1 is definitely superior. So in the end, because it's the first one I've played and the levels are much darker and more atmospheric, I'd say I prefer Doom 1. As for Final Doom, I haven't played it enough, but I tend to see it just as an extension of Doom 2.

Ultimate Doom, it's an absolute classic, much better than Doom2 IMO.

What I want to know is why Doom 2 does have a noticeable lack of detail and visual prettiness in comparison to Doom 1? Granted, in some ways the levels in Doom 2 are designed better (well, some of the levels) as well as larger, but the Doom 1 levels to appear to have a slight edge in aesthetics on some maps.

Well, I have to pick Doom, since it's so original. Well, that was exactly, what you didn't want to hear but - this is it! I love the oringinal, moody, dark maps of Doom. But I also like Doom2 (although some maps were poorly designed, it provided large, open arenas full of monsters, that couldn't be seen in Doom).

As to the "Ultimate" part of Doom: That's just 9 levels with NO new content (apart from the sky texture). Although I liked the idea of a deluxe edition, no company today would dare release an addon with no new monsters, weapons, etc. But this was typical of the early deluxe editions and addons of fps (Hexen Mission Pack, Heretic: Shadow... etc.)

Final Doom: Great "Addon": Although not from id, the levels are huge and most of them are of great quality. I played it many times.

Doom64: Never played it.

Doom95: Why the hell is this on your list? It's a port. Used it for several years, though, before switching to ZDoom.

Doom 2 is my favorite game, although Knee-Deep in the Dead is the best coherent set of levels.

Deathmatcher said:

As to the "Ultimate" part of Doom: That's just 9 levels with NO new content (apart from the sky texture). Although I liked the idea of a deluxe edition, no company today would dare release an addon with no new monsters, weapons, etc.

Remember that the extra episode was free. And included some great maps.

Job said:

What I want to know is why Doom 2 does have a noticeable lack of detail and visual prettiness in comparison to Doom 1? Granted, in some ways the levels in Doom 2 are designed better (well, some of the levels) as well as larger

Perhaps your question answers itself (you mention larger maps and more monsters). Did you ever try playing large, highly detailed maps with lots of monsters on a 486? Slideshow ahoy!

Grazza said:

Did you ever try playing large, highly detailed maps with lots of monsters on a 486? Slideshow ahoy!

Heh, I had a 486 until the summer of 2001. Very few vanilla wads ran at significantly slow fps (<10), but source ports were really slow, especially those which required windows to run.

It's funny now when I remember how I played Demonized on that comp - it ran at 1 fps, but I was very patient and still played all the way through on UV without any cheats. It took 3 days though and a million of savegames/reloads.

Not to sound completely offtopic: I think I like Doom2 the most but all the other IWADS are very close.

Deathmatcher said:
Doom95: Why the hell is this on your list? It's a port. Used it for several years, though, before switching to ZDoom.

CacoCaddy said:
Why is Doom95 in there?

Lutrov71 said:
What he said.

He means the shareware release (i.e., just Knee Deep in the Dead.)

I like both DOOM (this one was left out) and DOOM II best.

Grazza said:

Remember that the extra episode was free. And included some great maps.

Yeah, ok. But I was a little disapointed to find a Spider Mastermind for the final boss. Besides, I payed 80 DM for it back then (~ 40 $).
It was ages before downloads over the internet became available to me.

Sorry scratch DOOM 95....I thought that was the original name for the FIRST DOOM, before Ultimate Doom. So, sorry bout that. Like what myk said.

S1lent said:

Sorry scratch DOOM 95....I thought that was the original name for the FIRST DOOM, before Ultimate Doom.

deltree c:\doom95
Mission acomplished. :D
You know when it was released, don't you?
Also it is hard to include the PSX version of each game as the maps not only differ in parts, also there is no Doom2 for PSX as Doom2 maps are part of the first PSX Doom, for instance.
I don't think you have played all the console games, so take a look here: http://classicdoom.com/

The original three episodes are my favourite, then Doom2 follows. The 4th Ultimate Doom episode feels somewhat out of place, just as they are merely throuwn in later, which in fact is the case, though plays still very well. I didn't like Final Doom that much. I think, TeamTNT was just warming up back then, as all the free stuff which followed, I liked much more.
I don't like PSX Doom that much, mostly due to the bad controller and the chopped off maps, though I like "The Mansion" and "Club Doom". I admid, the music in the PSX version fits the game better, though I more like the PC midi's. I didn't play the N64 version, as I don't have an N64.

I can't believe over 200 people took the time to look at it but only 25 or 26 people replied.....it's not a trick question or anything lol.

Original DOOM for me, especially "Knee Deep in the Dead." Even today we still see the impact of Phobos.

S1lent said:

I can't believe over 200 people took the time to look at it but only 25 or 26 people replied.....it's not a trick question or anything lol.

Those aren't individual hits, but page views. I view threads several times, especially to check for replies after having posted myself, and many others do the same thing.