Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

SNES Doom mod

Great - I tried to use some Game Genie cheats so I could get a look at the plasma rifle right away so I could emulate the graphics - but no such luck. It looks like I'll have to do it the old fashioned way. Does ZSnes have a better screen capture system than SNES9x?

Badda bang badda boom badda bang!

freewebs.com/bashe/snesdoom.wad
There, the blood splats are gone and the ice glitch is destroyed!

I have a savestate that puts you at Dis with all the guns.
I could send it to you. It's for Zsnes.

Aw, hell. I'll take pics of the Plasma Rifle for SNES Doom.

I'll try that new wad out. If you can get any pics of the graphics I can try to redo some of the sprites for you. Otherwise, the savestate will work too. We'll either have to make it so that the plasma rifle shot is the same for all the frames or just make it one frame.

Hm, could you possibly post a pic of the plasma rifle shooting? That'd be very helpful. Also, I'm wondering how we can get the wall textures to be low res...I mean, the flats are easy because they're just monochromatic. But I'm not sure how we'd alter the sprites and walls to make them low res... : /

EDIT: Thanks so much for all your great work, Bashe, if you ever want to talk to me on AOL, you have my screename in the email I sent. But allow me to ask if you would be able, at your convenience, to speed up the enemies even faster, as well as their attack speeds and death animations? Heh, if I'm being too demanding, just let me know.

Job said:

Also, I'm wondering how we can get the wall textures to be low res...

Rescale in any ordinary 2d graphics software? PSP should do well. It only depends how You want them rescaled-smoothly or pixelated..

Well, I have to go. My fucking family won't get off my back about taking away privliges just because I hate cleaning my room.

Nmn said:

Rescale in any ordinary 2d graphics software? PSP should do well. It only depends how You want them rescaled-smoothly or pixelated..

Pixelated is the way to be. Though I don't know if I quite understand how that would work. If you rescaled the texture or sprite in question, it would indeed become more pixelated, but how would you get it to look the right size again without undoing your work?

If You rescale it and use pixel scaling, which automatically pixelates the image, then there is only undo. If You rescale it using smart resize or bicubic sampling it becomes smaller, but blurred. You can re-rescale it to it's original size and play with sharping tools, but usually it takes some time. It's harder to make a hi-res version of a small textures, than vice-versa. Resizing a small image to hi-res size (like 512x512) will make it look blurry, but a good bump map (like concrete, or brushed metal) would make it look more natural.
EDIT: You mean resizing a patch to make it pixelated and then resizing it to be a normal, easy in handling 128*xx size? Well, that's not hard. Either small-scale it and rescale to it's original... or play with the "pixelate" tool.

Well, it's very painful to play through SNES Doom (no offense), but I could try to wade my way to the end Episode 2 to check out the Cyber. If I can make it, I shall update.

Speaking of painful, I nearly forgot something...I was testing both the rocket launcher and the plasma rifle out. The plasma rifle does a wee bit too much damage and the rocket launcher does a bit too little. I've played SNES Doom and have sometimes killed cacos in one rocket.

Zdoom has a console command to globally set the x and y scale of the textures. Play with then TX and TY cvars for some funky stuff. Then you could probably batch resize all the original textures and build a new texture1 lump with deutex on the users machine.

Okay, I'll alter the damages of the P Rifle and the R Launcher.

UPDATE: I have changed the Lost Soul chase sound to dscacsit, as in SNES Doom.

[Extremely pissed]GOD DAMMIT!!!!!11!11!!11!!! I saved right at the Cyberdemon in SNES Doom, but fucking save is corrupted! I use it and the emulator closes! SHIT!!!111!11!!!11!1!![/extremely pissed]

Job, help me out on the Cyberdemon in SNES Doom. What is he like? Have you gotten to him at least once?

UPDATION: The Rockets and Plasma damage have been altered.

I know these things about the Cyberdemon in SNES Doom:
*Has a melee attack
*Has pain sound dsdmpain(?)

That's about it. Job, do you have any info?

I have some info. The enemies move alot slower, I've noticed, through just getting stuck on the floor and moving out of it a step at a time. It's kind of hard to explain. This can be done with BEX editing... But, then again...

And by the way, stop all that crap about resizing, please. Just do it in paint. And Bashe, could you send me the save file in question? elric@monumentweb.com

I already have all the Plasmagun and shotgun states ripped, by the way. They're way too small to use, however.

Sure, doing now.

HUH?: Which one did you want? I sent you the one thats at Dis with all guns. I can send you the other one if you want it.

Nevermind it, that's the one I wanted. Thanks alot, dude.

EDIT: Just an afterthought; What about making a 32x Doom mod after the SNES Doom mod is done? Heheheheh...

DarkHaven4 said:
EDIT: Just an afterthought; What about making a 32x Doom mod after the SNES Doom mod is done? Heheheheh...

Well... uh... maybe?

Heh, first things first. In terms of progress, I'm still trying to get the plasma shot to work right - in terms of size. But it should be ok.

I believe the shot's PLSSA0 and PLSSB0 frames were cut because of sprite space limits. The ball's PLSSA0 and PLSSB0 frames should be replaced by PLSSC0. This is all IIRC, mind you- I'll check on it in a minute to make sure.

EDIT: Yeah, they were cut, but it's PLSEA0 that replaces them.

Also, I've noticed two very *odd* things while playing SNES doom. The first thing is that there is only one "line" of fire; you can only hit one enemy at a time(decorate lump with invisible infinite-speed projectiles?) The other thing is that sometimes the enemies don't make death sounds.

PLUS: I just found out something very interesting. For an extra challenge, if we should stay *very* true to the SNES version of Doom, we have to make everything in a single 2 Meg WAD or less. Remember, 2MB = 2048KB

Here's a pic of the plasma shots in action...kind of hard to make out, but it's getting closer to looking like what it's meant to.

Graphically, yes, it's horribly dated. But I, nor anyone else who's contributed so far, wouldn't try so hard to make an incarnation of SNES Doom if it didn't have some inherent or sentimental value. So think twice before you call it shitty. :P

I like it though. It does have an interesting look when you play it. I, for one, kinda like the way the zombies walk now. :) And the way the new weapons look and act I'm all for, truely. :D

The imp just looks like he's dancing though. O.o

I noticed something, too. The Baron's death frames have been cut. I killed a Baron in SNES Doom and it stopped dying while it was still in mid-air. The last 3 frames of it's death were cut.

Good point. That's another one of the idiosyncracies of the game. Nearly forgot that one. Also, I think that it's always the rear end of the cyb's rockets that face you.