Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Job

SNES Doom mod

Great job, everyone. It's shaping up really great. My only suggestions are the following: the weapon sprites needs to be pixelized (with the shotgun barrel tip tapering toward the end), there are no nukedge textures in SNES Doom and the lost soul, when dying, makes the sound of the player pressing against the wall (whatever that sound is called).

I believe we already covered the Lost Soul death sound, but thanks for the other suggestions. Also, if I'm not mistaken, when the enemies died, you couldn't see what they dropped, correct?

Darkhaven said:

I believe we already covered the Lost Soul death sound, but thanks for the other suggestions. Also, if I'm not mistaken, when the enemies died, you couldn't see what they dropped, correct?

I actually could see what they dropped. : /

No, you can't see what they dropped. I killed a Zombieman and he didn't appear to drop anything but he did drop a clip.

sambobbilly said:

so wen do ya think ull have it done by?

We'll release the full version when you start using proper grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation.

J/K... Seriously, though, at the rate it's going, it may only be a matter of a month or two, depending on the will to work on this ass-backwards wad and how much work gets done at a time.

I'm still not done with quite all of the patches yet, I need to cut some of the patches, we need to do the music, pixelate the weapons and status bar (I think), and a couple of other things. There is little left to do in it, though.

I don't know about getting those modified maps, though; it's not required, really, since the SNES Doom maps are exactly the same as the PC ones, sans a couple of patches. I can quite easily find a way around that little problem, however.

Yeah, I also noticed that the head on a stick sprite still exsists but nothing on ceilings. Also, the spine looking patches are non-exsistant. I'll have to play SNES Doom and regular Doom to compare and see what's missing and such.

I've got the music covered...temporarily...the spcs sound really weird. Randy said the next version of Zdoom would support a better version of the snesapu.dll and then the Doom spcs will sound better. I could make an mp3 soundtrack but I'd rather use the ogg soundtrack that ShaneAmp keeps mentioning.

All right, I'm running some comparison tests now. It looks like any already dead marines have been replaced with gibs if they haven't already been gibbed.

The little puddle of blood that lays on the ground (example, e1m1 before the staircase to the armor) is non-exsistant.

The giant trees (the big brown ones) are non-exsistant.

Any red pillar thingies (like the one with the heart or the one with the skull) have been replaced by green ones sans the hearts or skulls.

Whew! It's kinda hard breezing through regular Doom and then struggling to get through SNES Doom...

that's good about the updated support on the SPC's, better then the 35 meg OGG Wad. I noticed the titlepic seems to have been reduced alot more then the snes version, i have a screen shot that i put in my wad from zsnes, its not quite as pixelated. What about using the actual snes weapon sprites instead of reducing them? anyone tried that? they would need to be scaled up.

I don't know about any of you guys, but I had no luck ripping any of the sprites from the SNES Doom rom. So that means we have to manually tinker with the weapon sprites. Feel free to prove me wrong though.

Let me see!

About spcs and the next version of Zdoom: The next version of Zdoom won't be out for another 7 years my friend, so spcs are out of the question for us.

i can prove you wrong, just turn off some of the layers, and you will have solid color around the sprites. Not only that, but since the flats are also solid, you can do it with the layers on. I'll do it, i was just asking if anyone had done it, or started work on it, so i wouldnt be wasting my time. We can probly get someone to make Zdoom compatible with the new snesapu.dll, someone on the Zdoom board did, maybe we can convince him to do it.

^^^^^this would be hard with enemy sprites though, maybe even impossible without making them look worse and more pixelated then they should be.

ShaneAmp said:

^^^^^this would be hard with enemy sprites though, maybe even impossible without making them look worse and more pixelated then they should be.

We already have all the sprites resized, not including weapons.

i know, but i was talking about actually ripping them from screenshots. Does anyone know how to scale weapon sprites up, or can you? it doesnt work, at least not how you do it with enemy sprites. I replaced a couple weapons with screen rips, but their to small.

Resizing the sprites is actually a very simple process which takes almost no time at all. If you want me to do it, I'd be glad to, or I can teach you how to do it.

Yeah, I blazed through those sprites. It's an easy process, but don't go too fast like I did or you may get sloppy results.

The snes doom was the first doom I played. I am very nostalgic about it and remember spending hours on UV trying to beat inferno. That Hallway with the pinkies was awesome in the first level.

That being said, I am amazed at the amount of effort you guys put into this. I read through this entire thread from sheer curiosity, I had no idea people were still modding original doom.

Well, Doom is still pretty popular. You can't expect people to stop making wads for it even though Doom 3 is out. It's a classic.

How's SNES Doom wad coming along everyone?

I didnt mean actually resizing the images, that could be done, but it pixelates them even more. If someone knows of a way to make it so an image doesnt actually worse when resized in photoshop or maybe another program then let me know, but i know a fair bit about using photoshop. In RGB it adds more pixels, and in INDEXED color it actually makes it look worse, is there a way to avoid this? if you dont know what i mean then i'll send someone a weapon frame and you can try. What i was asking though was how to scale it like you can with sprite in dehacked so its just displayed larger in game.

i ripped all the weapon sprites and put them in a wad, it works but not perfected yet. I cant scale them to look right other then by doubling the size, and then their to big, so if anyone knows if its possible to do in zdoom using dehacked, like you can with sprites, let me know. Otherwise this may have been a waste of time, not that it really took much. So should the sound files also be reduced? i can also do that part, i know what format the snes samples were, i'll start by converting them, and then if i get around to it, eventually rip them from the game. Snessor rips about 1/3rd the samples, the rest would have to be taken by recording them, it seems most of them have been edited, so it makes sense to have them for the mod.

Coverted and replaced sounds to the quality that of the SNES version into a wad. Actually it doesnt make a diferent, just sounds like you turned to quality in the port down to 8000hz. So this means the sounds will have to be ripped, i'll devote a day to that, probly next week, very busy week, got many shows to go to, and play, local venue shutting down!:( In the process of converting, replacing, and comparing sounds ive noticed that the Snes sounds are all cut down and edited, so with those sounds it will make the difference that i was looking for.

Sorry guys, I haven't been able to make any updation for a while. My internet breaked (broked? brake?) for a bit so I couldn't upload anything.

Lol, I know. Just fooling around.

I don't think I have any more sound changes to make.

ShaneAmp: For the love of GOD, PLEASE don't make the sounds low pitched. If you ripped them with Snessor, some sounds will be too high pitched and some will be really low. Make sure you make them sound the EXACT same pitch as regular Doom. FOR FUCK'S SAKE MAKE SURE YOU DO IT RIGHT!!!!11!111!!11

I can't STAND when Doom sounds are low pitched *coughDoom95cough*. That's why I want you to make the sounds the normal pitch.