Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Intel17

Why does doom 3 use such low rez textures?

Ok, why the heck does doom 3 use such low resolution textures? I mean the alpha leak had HORRIBLE textures and the characters looked really bad. I really hope the final game will look good cuz i dont want it to lose out to HL2, stalker and far cry.

It's an alpha. Alphas are incomplete/unhoned. Of course there will be lacking in some areas. Let it go and wait for the final product, which I hear is going to be released in Q3 - for the PC anyway.

The alpha's characters were really bad and the self shadowing didnt look right. In the first map of the alpha, when the doomguy gets outta the elevator, and if focuses on his head, it looks pretty bad. and his ear didnt even look like an ear and you could see a line right down the middle of his face, as if the poly count was low.

I really hope the final game looks better!

Why were you using "alpha"? Man, I don't get why people use the leaked versions of game.

1. They're incomplete
2. Most every leaked game looks bad
3. They're illegal and weren't meant to be released yet
4. It ruins the final game when it comes out.

It's like watching half a movie and then waiting 3 months to see the end. I don't understand why people go through the trouble of getting them.

Ya....oh, and just for the record...you know, for those people who would read that and say "Doom 3 isn't coming out in 3 months, what is he talking about," it was just an example...

intel, you obviously have a shit computer or just didn't configure the setttings properly. it looked excellent on my "friends" pc.

I had the seams with certain drivers, and I had ugly textures before I turned of the texture compression. Its all just down to settings. You cant expect an impromptu leak of the code to be set up correctly...

My brother of 31 works for a PR company for the video game industry. He said that the PC Doom III is due Q3 and Doom III for Xbox is due Q4.

Ricki said:

intel, you obviously have a shit computer or just didn't configure the setttings properly. it looked excellent on my "friends" pc.

P4 3 gig
1GB Pc3200 ram
IS7 board (i865)
Radeon 9800 pro 256 @ XT speeds

Ran it with full details turned on, 1280 resolution 16x AF

i dont have a shit computer

but its just an alpha, so i think that itll look much better in the real game

Great, but did you fiddle with the cvars at all? Ive had it looking like total shit and absolutely stunning on the same machine. There isnt an options menu here, you're not even supposed to have it. Dont run it thinking its some kind of express preview given only to the cultural elite.

Intel17 said:

P4 3 gig
1GB Pc3200 ram
IS7 board (i865)
Radeon 9800 pro 256 @ XT speeds

Ran it with full details turned on, 1280 resolution 16x AF

i dont have a shit computer

but its just an alpha, so i think that itll look much better in the real game

hmmm...

my pc is only a little better than that, but your definately right...

maybe there is just something in the settings you missed.... nevermind, the screens from the real game look extremely promising.

The graphics were the same, the design was different in the doom1 alphas but im sure Doom 3 will be stunning when released.

The alpha looks good on my machine but if you look closely at everything you notice flaws. like with the light done with fragment shaders the quality of the shaders is bad, like you see in far cry on a GeForce FX card.

but its only a crappy alpha.

As everyone has said, its only the apha, look at screenshots of the real game and try to imagine what they must be like in motion..all other games look primitive by comparison

Hey, I think the alpha is intereting, like a peek inside the game while its being made. I mean, the original alphas are crap, but they're still interesting, in a sense of seeing where the game went, designwise.

I played the alpha through and through. The reason why the graphics suck is because everything isn't implemented yet, well not all the colors. The game still looked good for a friggin' alpha though.

I deleted the alpha 2 days later. I got tired of re-installing the 49.xx nvidia drivers.

are you a hl2 fanboy?

lol, j/k. anyways....if you know anything about game developement, youll know what an alpha is, but im assuming you dont.

an alpha is an unfinished program that is usually used to show off for technology demos. hell, it isnt even a finished demo. theres missing textures, un-coded events, the code, and this is IMPORTANT, the code isn't optimized for most graphics cards ( the alpha i believe was optimized for the radeon 300 series of cards or something like that ) so on most computer that dont have the specific graphics card, its going to look like crap, which most alpha screenshots come from. Also, most games these days use a one set of textures, and write code that resize those textures to certain resolutions. The alpha might not have that texture resize code which is why it might look shitty....so like everyone else has said, don't judge the game off of the alpha.

All wrong answers.

This is how the game looks. No one will redo textures, no one will retouch most of this stuff.

Sure, a correction here and there, but that's it. This is the actual, final size of the textures. Many of the graphical assets you see will remain untouched.

The game is taxing enough already, they can't make bigger textures just like that, even if they had a legion of artists. An incremental increase of the texture quality would be four times heavier. There are no comps that can run this without hiccups, so it's futile to implement bigger resources.

Nothing stops anyone from doing a level with 4096x4096 textures.. at 0.3 fps.

So you don't like it. How interesting. Please tell us more.

Zaldron said:

All wrong answers.

This is how the game looks. No one will redo textures, no one will retouch most of this stuff.

Sure, a correction here and there, but that's it. This is the actual, final size of the textures. Many of the graphical assets you see will remain untouched.

The game is taxing enough already, they can't make bigger textures just like that, even if they had a legion of artists. An incremental increase of the texture quality would be four times heavier. There are no comps that can run this without hiccups, so it's futile to implement bigger resources.

Nothing stops anyone from doing a level with 4096x4096 textures.. at 0.3 fps.

So you don't like it. How interesting. Please tell us more.

Yes, they can't make bigger textures because bigger textures arent made. like i said, there is most likely ONE set of textures, probably made for the current highest resolution. These textures are then resized by code to fit the users wanted resolution. So if a resolution is at 1280xwhatever, the code can resize those textures to 1024x768 or whatever resolution choices there are. If the developers made resources for every resolution, the game would probably be 18273GIGS (an exaggeration but you know what i mean).

Skeletor said:

are you a hl2 fanboy?

Sheesh, can't one make a comment about cons in the Doom 3 screenshots without being accused of being a fanboy?

At least, if he was an HL2 fanboy, at least he's being discreet.

I don't care enough about the textures - I'm more interested in the character models, and especially when they are in motion, because that's where Doom 3 truly looks sexy.