Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Cyb

Doom 3 XBox Trailer

Funnily enough, I always thought the Revenant see/roam sounds were the most modern sounding of Doom2's effects.

Those and the sounds of the axe-throwing knights in Heretic were my favourite game sfx for quite a while.

dsm said:

2. While I'm pleased about the way enemies gib, I don't like that a mere shotgun blast seems capable of gibbing a possessed soldier - it's too much like Quake 2. I want enemies to be thrown back against the wall when I blast them with the shotgun - not splatter into bloody bones and gibs - reserve that for the heavy weapons - the chaingun, a direct rocket/grenade hit or a BFG blast.

Sometime ago, I read in an interview with Todd that a zombie was thrown back by the blast of the shotgun, slamming him through a window, and making him land on a set of stairs below him. So it's probably possible. This leaves me to conclude that they just showed off the death animations in the trailer for sales purposes. Probably, this doesn't happen all the time.

One particularly cool aspect of the trailer was the whispering - particularly "deliver us from evil" (33s). I hope this wasn't just scripted for the trailer. The pulsating organic sections looked superb, as did the way the Revenant teleports in.

I am a bit disappointed by the look and sound of the chaingun though.

there is no alt-fire on the shot gun... the bodies of the zombies "gibb" and disintergrate because that is what all of the enemies are designed to do when they die. i thought everyone on this forum would rememeber that (the news about it is only a few weeks old, if that).
anyway, personally i can't wait for Doom 3 and this trailer has made me want it NOW!!! i dunno how much longer i can wait.

Ricki said:

the bodies of the zombies "gibb" and disintergrate because that is what all of the enemies are designed to do when they die. i thought everyone on this forum would rememeber that (the news about it is only a few weeks old, if that).

No, that's only in multiplayer they're supposed to disintegrate like that everytime they die. It's supposedly different for single player.

And I still don't like the revenant's old sound put into Doom 3 - something about it isn't right imo and a new, but similar sound could be much cooler and scarier.

I'd have to say that the between it's revamped (yet similar) sounds, the revenant actually appears far more menacing than ever. I also was almost intimidated by the hell knight as it charged at the player. Lastly, the Silent Hill-type atmosphere definitely does service to enhancing the intensity in Doom III.

dsm said:
Also, I find it lame that the Revenant uses its old sounds - it doesn't really fit the creepy and "mature" atmosphere of Doom 3 and it's a step back compared to the awesome sounds it made in the 2003 trailer. I kinda believed those sounds were "dubbed" in. Don't ask

I think the coolest thing about that trailer was exactly that the revenant uses its old sounds. It really points out that it is the same game being retold.

Heh, the funny thing is that if RtCW had used some of the old Wolf3d sounds, it would have been way better (some of the death screams that the tan-uniformed guards let out were condsiderably better than those wimpy moans that the Nazis in RtCW let out) - not to mention the original door sounds (if used appropriately).

omg im speechless..my excitement for this game is at par with half life 2. MOreover its been rekindled in a way. Highlights of the video.. The revenant porting in..Christ that was amazing. Second..The hell knight charging at the marine...Holy shit i soiled my pants when i saw that. in all, an awesome demo which magnifies the overall atmosphere of the game to astounding and breathtaking proportions. U really need a 5.1 channel speaker system to gauge the eerieness of the sounds in that trailer..esp the one where u hear a women or something ominous wailing in the back..scaaaaaaaaaary

Did anyone notice the screen shaking around when the Hellknight came running toward you? That's a very cool looking effect.

About the shotgun gibbing and head dissapearance:
keep in mind that the xbox version is still in development, and with the limitations of such a relatively low-spec system there is likely to be large differences between the two versions. The bodies disentegrating is an obvious memory-saving technique.

My personal theory is that the PC version will have discentegrating demons, the zombie bodies will hang around. The reason I think this is that, I know that someone from id (hollenshead) mentioned that the bemons 'burn away' and return to their realm, zombies being only posesed, it wouldn't make sense fro their bodies to burn up.

I was talking about the Doom sounds with some people on another forum, and the funny thing is we all agreed that even though they were at a low sample rate, they are mostly excellent. I'm happy with the fact that some of them might be reused - that revenant wail has always been very distinctive, it wouldnt be out of place in any other 'creepy' game.

U really need a 5.1 channel speaker system to gauge the eerieness of the sounds in that trailer..esp the one where u hear a women or something ominous wailing in the back..scaaaaaaaaaary

Imagine what actually playing is gonna be like then!

I checked out that new xbox D3 trailer from gametrailers.com and I had to say I was really MOVED!! How you hear a womans voice hissing while the hero moves down various dark errie corridors, while the sound of a heart beating slowly, you barely see the marine because of the ever so dark and shadowey settings shading off just about everything around, the game's really showing off it's lighting effects. As the marine goes deeper in the base, the walls start changing into bloody throbbing veins and the heart beat starts beating faster! The trailer starts teasing you with quick clips of the zombies lying around, splashed gore on the corridors walls and floors, the heart beats faster, and louder! A zombie moves and attacks! Now shows quick clips of some of the demons attacking you while you fire different weapons. the heart beat faster!! and the demon clips snap faster while the heart beats faster, FASTER! FASTER!! And the last quick clip is seeing that DREADFUL "HELL KNIGHT" CHARGING RIGHT AT YOU WITH IT ARMS WIDE OPEN AS TO EMBRACE YOU WITH A EVER SO LOVIN' HUG OF DEATH!!! AAAARRRGG!!!!!*****

Now THAT's the way to promote a SCI-FI HORROR SURVIVAL game!! But alas I still prefer the older DOOM3 logo id used from Williams Ent. for the DOOM64 game though.

See it, Know it ,Than own it!

than post your opinoins please.

Tsar,