Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
doomgod

EH! please help...

oi, hello mans, im new and i just wanted to know if someone could tell me a good program to edit levels that i can understand...hehehe
koowel

Deth, also is pretty easy to use, and very stable.

Vegeta said:

Deth, also is pretty easy to use, and very stable.

Doesn't that require DOS? (IOW. it cannot be used anymore on modern computers?)

Graf Zahl said:

Doesn't that require DOS? (IOW. it cannot be used anymore on modern computers?)

DETH runs fine on "modern computers". DETH (and derivatives) require a video card with VESA support. I suppose lacking a vid card with VESA support one can also use a VESA driver (like the one from SCI-TECH) that were made that before VESA was common. Do a search for VESA drivers or something like that. IIRC if you run at 640x480 it may work even without VESA?

doomgod said:

oi, hello mans, im new and i just wanted to know if someone could tell me a good program to edit levels that i can understand...hehehe
koowel

As to editing levels, DeePsea is also a choice ( sbsoftware.com ) - complete with extensive help file (press F1) to learn the ins/outs of editing as well as a short interactive tutor (select from the top Help menu) to show you how to quickly build a 2 rooms and connect them.

After you get Doom Builder, get the Doom Builder Guide. It's got everything you'll need to get off the ground and more, and explains things in an easy to understand manner.
Thank DrSleep for that ;).

Seems like most of doomers are now leaving their old editors, for the sake of DoomBuilder.

I shall stand with my ZETH and DETH till... deth do us part :)

I left Waded for Wadauthor, I can't get stuck in my ways two times over.

I have never left Deepsea, it's the only editor I've ever known ;)

ellmo said:

Seems like most of doomers are now leaving their old editors, for the sake of DoomBuilder.

I shall stand with my ZETH and DETH till... deth do us part :)

That's only half true, for me anyways. For me, traditional editor = Deu5.1. And I still have Deu sitting on my old HD from back in '96. Then I moved to WadAuthor, basically because there were things that made it more efficient and easier to use. Same with Doom Builder, it's even easier. And not easier in a 'lazy' way, apart from aligning textures, but the way problems are removed. For example in DEU, trying to make a subsector inside of another sector would screw up the sidedefs. When youre a noob, that could completey discourage you, because you dont have a clue what even a sidedef is!
With DB, there are minimal hitches, so especially for new mappers it's really easy to figure out. And when someone writes an amazing tutorial for said editor, then why not use it?
Sure we all get a dose of nostalgia when we return to the original editors, but are they really 'better' ?

doomgod: I'll say what I've always said: it really depends on what method you want to use. Deepsea and Doom Builder mainly do the line-draw method, which can really confuse you if you're a noob. I got Deepsea around three years ago, tried using it twice over the next couple years, failed to make even a single sector hook up. But that's just me. When I got WadAuthor, I found its method much easier to use. I have Doom Builder, and its line-draw method seems easy enough, but by now I'm used to WadAuthor's method so that's what I'm sticking with. I keep DB around for its 3D viewing mode, though... it helps to tweak offsets and stuff.

DooMBoy said:

I have never left Deepsea, it's the only editor I've ever known ;)

When I first got into Doom editing I downloaded Deepsea and crap, I didn't understand a thing.
'WTF is a local door. Sector tag, WTF?!

So I got Wadauthor and that was easier to use and I really got into it and opened up wads looking at the effects and everything.

But then Doombuilder came along...

Lutrov71 said:

When I first got into Doom editing I downloaded Deepsea and crap, I didn't understand a thing.
'WTF is a local door. Sector tag, WTF?!

I started with DEU and I didn't found it that hard to understand.

Actually, the first editor I saw was Dmapedit, I got from a friend on a disk. I couldn't do much with it, since it was a very early version without a nodebuilder.

And Doombuilder isn't always that selfexplanatory either. You really should have some documentation along with it. For example, in fields for which key is required, what should a slopetrigger affect, what thing to spawn etc. those are merely numbers you could type in, hence you need a documentation with it.
Would be great having those lists in a dropdown menu some day. ;)
Also it isn't really that obviously that you have the set a polyobject number in the angle field. I wonder, why didn't they use one of the action parameters for that, or do those things have any use for action specials, I missed?

deep said:

DETH runs fine on "modern computers". DETH (and derivatives) require a video card with VESA support. I suppose lacking a vid card with VESA support one can also use a VESA driver (like the one from SCI-TECH) that were made that before VESA was common. Do a search for VESA drivers or something like that. IIRC if you run at 640x480 it may work even without VESA?

As to editing levels, DeePsea is also a choice ( sbsoftware.com ) - complete with extensive help file (press F1) to learn the ins/outs of editing as well as a short interactive tutor (select from the top Help menu) to show you how to quickly build a 2 rooms and connect them.

Yeah, one of my first editors was DeepSea, great and fun & easy to use. But then I found Doom Builder v0.4 floating around the net...

By the way, anyone ever used RGDoomEd before? That was a fucking nightmare right there, if I know what one is...