Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
S1lent

Port thingy's

I was wondering, right now I use a really old P1 with Windows 95 on it, and all I play is DOOM. But, when I get my new computer this summer (for DOOM3), it will be running XP Pro. Is there any program I can use to run DOOM, UDoom, DOOM2, and Final DOOM on XP without any problems? I would like to have at least ONE program that lets me play the game as it was originally but I know DOOM tends to have problems with newer systems.

The Ultimate DooMer said:

But remember to turn all the compatibility options off, as they're on by default.

The other way it is. The compatibility options are there to be like the original behavior, so you want to turn them on.
Best is, you just select the Doom 1.9 preset.

Yeah, it's a bit irritating that you need to go through and change so many compatibility options ("Doom Compatibility", "Enemies" and "Weapons"), but it only takes a minute or so if you know what to look for. Otherwise, you could ask someone who already has it set up to send you a copy of their .cfg files.

LogicDeLuxe: By "the Doom 1.9 preset", I presume you mean using "complevel". That has the slight drawback that you can't use savegames.

Note that Eternity's default compatibility options do not need to be tweaked in this way - they are on by default. (Like Prboom, Eternity has excellent compatibility with the original games, and can play back most demos recorded with them.)

You can still buy a computer that can run Win98se/Doom/Doom3.
just steer clear of certain technology: bootable raids, certain sound cards, etc...
ati/nvidia/intel still offer chipsets and drivers that are win98se compatible.
but your question is already answered: PrBoom/Eternity.

Cyb said:

ugh but why would you want to run win98

Maybe because XP can't run doom2.exe with sound well. Sure, most people don't need it anymore but some do, including me. Even if I upgrade my comp, I'm not changing to XP for as long as my devices and programs work in win98.

Btw, I don't like XP for not only it's lack of DOS support. I don't like it in general. I think win98 is da best and millennium is da worst.

S1lent said:

I was wondering, right now I use a really old P1 with Windows 95 on it, and all I play is DOOM. But, when I get my new computer this summer (for DOOM3), it will be running XP Pro. Is there any program I can use to run DOOM, UDoom, DOOM2, and Final DOOM on XP without any problems? I would like to have at least ONE program that lets me play the game as it was originally but I know DOOM tends to have problems with newer systems.

Your best bet is not to throw away the P1 as long as it works and you will be able to play the original DOOM on it.

maaadness. DOS is over 10 years old, and to expect a current OS to support it (which XP does anyway, albeit without sound) is nuts. Besides nobody needs to run doom2.exe, you only think you do :P

DEMOn said:
just steer clear of certain technology: bootable raids, certain sound cards, etc...

My Windows 98 CD and my Creative Sound Blaster 16 are among the most precious of things.

Donce said:
Btw, I don't like XP for not only it's lack of DOS support. I don't like it in general. I think win98 is da best and millennium is da worst.

I find it hard to disagree. I suppose Windows XP can be useful... at work I don't mind it, although the computers are certainly more sluggish than my Windows 98 Celeron. And it wouldn't do bad to run newer stuff on it; not that I really need it, though. Perhaps to watch movies or something like that: though to make sense that would require a state of the art machine, which should cost a fortune here.

Relica Religia said:
Try searching for the DOOM95 launcher, if you can find it. I'd link you, but I lost the link.

I believe he's already using it.

Cyb said:
Besides nobody needs to run doom2.exe, you only think you do :P

Quoth Satan in Paradise Lost:
The mind is its own place, and in itself can make a heaven of hell or a hell of heaven.

Cyb said:

maaadness. DOS is over 10 years old, and to expect a current OS to support it (which XP does anyway, albeit without sound) is nuts. Besides nobody needs to run doom2.exe, you only think you do :P

Nobody needs to do anything, except breathe, eat, drink and sleep.

Its 50 megs in size as opposed to 1.5 gigs or whatever XP is

It doesnt guzzle system resources nearly so much

When it crashes, it crashes properly, you know its fucked, you know all you need to do is restart and it will be OK again, unlike XP's ambiguious "go slower and slower" crashes, and when you restart IE doesnt open, the floppy drive tries to read some non-existant disk repeatedly or other wierd error

You can skip the file check didnt restart thing without worries, with XP it MAKES errors so you HAVE to sit through it

Cyb said:

ugh but why would you want to run winXP

Cyb said:

maaadness. DOS is over 10 years old...

And still the most reliable. Even XP, which was supposed to end the Windows-Bug-Era drove me insane, and I eventually deleted it for the sake of ME.

myk said:

My Windows 98 CD and my Creative Sound Blaster 16 are among the most precious of things.

The same goes to my 266MHz laptop, with similar os/hardware. The only better machine than that was an old 486 dx 2 of mine, with pure DOS...

ellmo said:

And still the most reliable. Even XP, which was supposed to end the Windows-Bug-Era drove me insane, and I eventually deleted it for the sake of ME.

Ugh...

ME drove me insane so I went back to Win98 - until I bought a new computer with XP. ME sucks so badly it's almost unbelievable... :-(

Donce said:

Maybe because XP can't run doom2.exe with sound well. Sure, most people don't need it anymore but some do, including me. Even if I upgrade my comp, I'm not changing to XP for as long as my devices and programs work in win98.

its called a port, get over it.
i still dont get why people have issues with ports. it is a fact of life. win2000/XP cant run doom very well. on newer stuff it would be better to use XP/2000 simply because many programs are now requiring it.
honestly i steer clear of windows anymore. though i still use 2000 for windows only games

people will always have their opinions and personal-use issues with every OS.
WindowsXP is undebatably(is that a word?) the best windows OS.
However, 16-bit driver support is not something that hardware manufacturers (like sound card developers) care about.

The most important thing I do on my computer is DOOM. Most hardware designed for winXP doesn't support DOOM. It's as simple as that.

DEMOn said:

WindowsXP is undebatably(is that a word?) the best windows OS.

Sorry, but that's very debatable. Win 3.11 forever!

Sephiroth said:

i still dont get why people have issues with ports. it is a fact of life. win2000/XP cant run doom very well. on newer stuff it would be better to use XP/2000 simply because many programs are now requiring it.
honestly i steer clear of windows anymore. though i still use 2000 for windows only games

donce is an oldschool hardcore doomer, as well as many other demofreaks. He'll play with doom2.exe as long as he'll be able to.
So Win98 is the ultimate OS to do that. I heard that Linux can do it too, but it's pretty limited with many other - newer and more complex - games.
Win98 is actually the only OS that allows to play old DOS games as well as brand new windows games. XP can only do windows based games which is pretty limited.
Some programs indeed need XP/2K, but nothing absolutely necessary. But afaik no games yet ? I might be wrong there...

On my own computer I keep Win98 only, on my dad's we have dual boot 98/XP for network games with doom2.exe. And right now, I am far away home (I am in the US). And my laptop only has XP, so I am fucked :/

VinceDSS said:

Some programs indeed need XP/2K, but nothing absolutely necessary. But afaik no games yet ? I might be wrong there...

That depends on what you need. Half of the software I need requires Windows 2000 or XP so I really have no other choice.

I used to dislike winXP, but that was before I ever really used it on a computer I owned. I've been using win2k for like 2 years now since I ditched win98, and it's just insane how stable win2k is by comparison. I have no clue what the people who say win2k and XP are unstable or crash a lot have done to their computers because it's absolutly untrue, and you, sirs, are in a vast, vast minority, and that's all I have to say about that.

Anyways, I recently got a laptop with winXP and my original plan was to reformat it and install win2k on it but once you mess with the default XP settings and get rid of the shitty default XP theme, XP gets a lot faster and is a downright excellent OS. I honestly would not be able to go back to something as unstable as win98 or worse (win3.1, which is also unstable, I quite remember it getting weird exception errors that wouldn't go away... win3.x btw isn't an OS, it's just a graphical shell for DOS, though win3.x + DOS is without a doubt an OS)... I can see building a DOS machine or even dual booting if you really want to play old games, but when there are alternatives, I dunno, I suppose I'll never 'get it' :P

And finally, DOS is only stable because it doesn't do anything. It sits there. Even the fact that it's called an 'OS' is boarderline since it's not multitasking, but I digress. I, for one, am not willing to sacrifice system stability (you're not supposed to reboot your computer every 12 hours or less) for some old games, especially when there's perfectly viable alternatives like prBoom or Eternity in this case.

Cyb said:

A whole lot of stuff that is fact.

well said.

win98's greatest power, and in turn its greatest weakness(instability), is its 16-bit and 32-bit kernel.

XP and 2000 are very stable that's for sure, I think they are very good OS. But the main problem is running legacy applications.

The lastest win98, esp the Second Edition, is very stable actually.
I has glitches with the lastest computers (over 2 Ghz or so). Not on all of them tho. Maybe it's related to the mo'bo' or other hardware.

Sephiroth said:

???

What should I get over? I never criticized any ports. Just told Cyb an example when a person might want to run win98 (which is my case). And if I want to use the original exe, this is my own problem and it's my personal choice, I'm not insisting that everyone should use it.
Peace.

I am sorry but could you please stay on topic? This is about the Ports that would let me run the original DOOM on XP. Please keep it to that. Thank you.

Hah, you've been told to use PrBoom, haven't you? Isn't that the answer?